The Student Room Group

When is the right time to say "i love you"

Hey,

I was wondering when you guys thought the right time to say "I love you" is.

With me, I want to say it as soon as I meet someone hot, but (of course) I stop myself and hold it back.

P.S. I am legitimately crazy, ask anyone I've had a romantic affiliation with.

One girl, I didn't tell her I liked her until she left the country, great move on my part lol.

Scroll to see replies

You've got to hold it back. It's one of them that you feel it out, unless you're in their presence, it can give you inaccurate readings and make you say some stupid **** too quickly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by James Milibanter
Hey,

I was wondering when you guys thought the right time to say "I love you" is.

With me, I want to say it as soon as I meet someone hot, but (of course) I stop myself and hold it back.

P.S. I am legitimately crazy, ask anyone I've had a romantic affiliation with.

One girl, I didn't tell her I liked her until she left the country, great move on my part lol.

When you're drunk at 3 AM and you convince yourself it's a good idea
Ted Mosby is that you?
Original post by Blind Ferret
You've got to hold it back. It's one of them that you feel it out, unless you're in their presence, it can give you inaccurate readings and make you say some stupid **** too quickly.

I tend to say stupid **** all the time so it's alright, it's just that the words i love you can slip out pretty easily and I ending up F***ing up really bad. Especially when I'm P*ssed and hoping for a one night stand.

Original post by Zargabaath
When you're drunk at 3 AM and you convince yourself it's a good idea

Oh I know this one, it's good though because I can just play it out as I tell literally everyone that I love them when I'm drunk at 3am
Original post by theo1jinx
Ted Mosby is that you?

No, that guy actually has game. Me on the other hand can just about get by on some goofy charm and average looks.
Reply 6
Don't join the Green Surge. The RIGHT (:colone:) way is never. Don't say I love you, especially if you don't. If you only want to get with her, then don't bother, there are plenty of girls that will go with you if you just buy them a drink at the bar. Some girls you don't even need to buy them a drink. And very few girls, will buy a drink, and expect you to go back with them, but they're out there.

I personally don't bother catering girls with drinks, it's a waste of my time and money. If you do genuinely have feelings for her though, tell her, because she could be the one for you, and you'll never get that opportunity again.
Original post by Mamoixen
Don't join the Green Surge. The RIGHT (:colone:) way is never. Don't say I love you, especially if you don't. If you only want to get with her, then don't bother, there are plenty of girls that will go with you if you just buy them a drink at the bar. Some girls you don't even need to buy them a drink. And very few girls, will buy a drink, and expect you to go back with them, but they're out there.

I personally don't bother catering girls with drinks, it's a waste of my time and money. If you do genuinely have feelings for her though, tell her, because she could be the one for you, and you'll never get that opportunity again.

The thing is that I don't ever know if I have feelings for her. So if she has feelings for me, then I'll go along with it in the hope of getting some (yeh, I'm such a great guy!). I have spent a fortune on girls' drinks, but it's an investment, and it usually pays off, however as the drinks go into her, they also go into myself and that's where some issues can arise (or not "rise" at all in some instances).
The obvious answer is "When you really mean it", but this is complicated, because "I love you" means different things to different people.

My boyfriend and I didn't say it to each other until we'd been together for 7-8 months. I don't say it to friends, I don't say it as a joke and neither does he, so I knew when we actually said it that it meant more than just "I like you and think you're hot".
Original post by Plumstone
The obvious answer is "When you really mean it", but this is complicated, because "I love you" means different things to different people.

My boyfriend and I didn't say it to each other until we'd been together for 7-8 months. I don't say it to friends, I don't say it as a joke and neither does he, so I knew when we actually said it that it meant more than just "I like you and think you're hot".

Agreed.
Contrastingly, i love you means nothing to me so i don't say it until the person says it as to not creep anyone out by accident.
2nd time you see them ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
i haven't
Original post by Crystalz
Agreed.
Contrastingly, i love you means nothing to me so i don't say it until the person says it as to not creep anyone out by accident.

Fair enough! Yes, I agree that if one is unsure, then it makes sense to wait until the other person says it.

In one sense, I loved my boyfriend from the moment I laid eyes on him, but I was also very careful not to let myself get too attached too quickly, so I waited until he said it before I said it.

If I'm completely honest, it wasn't until a week after I first said "I love you" that I really felt confident enough in my feelings and in his feelings to actually mean it.
Why would you tell them as soon as you see someone hot? :/ guaranteed way to announce yourself as a freak not to go near
Original post by Crystalz
Agreed.

Why does it mean nothing to you out of interest? You probs shouldn't be saying it to people who don't know it means nothing to you
Every time I look in the mirror is the right time :smug:

With others, hold it back until you build a proper relationship with them instead of just thinking they're hot smh. Enough to make a woman run for cover.
Reply 16
Don't talk about "I love you" :cry2:
Reply 17
Original post by AvaAdore
Why does it mean nothing to you out of interest? You probs shouldn't be saying it to people who don't know it means nothing to you

Some people do not believe in love. I believe in lust more than love and i love you is just a way of saying you feel lust for them.
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Every time I look in the mirror is the right time :smug:

With others, hold it back until you build a proper relationship with them instead of just thinking they're hot smh. Enough to make a woman run for cover.

Indeed, and when they don't run for cover it's equally worrying.
Original post by ETRC
Some people do not believe in love. I believe in lust more than love and i love you is just a way of saying you feel lust for them.

Ok but I didn't ask you I was asking that person's perspective

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending