The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

General Opinions on Coventry University

Your opinions on this uni? I am probably going to go there in September unless I accept an offer from London Met or Herts (both are toilets, IMO).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its Coventry, but at least it admits it...

... unlike Warwick :biggrin:
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
I have been made a conditional offer at Coventry and I am attending an Open Day on March 11/12.

There is no knowledge to my mind that I will be interviewed whilst there. This would be very very cruel if they didn't let me prepare for it, eh? It is simply just an Open Day on the leaflets and letter, so they had better not get tricksy with me. :wink:

BTW, why does all Coventry Uni Halls looks like concrete tower blocks? FFS, I AM NOT LIVING ON THE 26TH FLOOR. :mad:
Andy Pipkin
Your opinions on this uni? I am probably going to go there in September unless I accept an offer from London Met or Herts (both are toilets, IMO).

hey there.

I'm currently at Cov uni and can tell you whatever you want to know... plus i'll be honest:wink:

Although do note, that i'm only a 1st year and don't come from coventry, but will do my best:wink:

There's only a couple of us active, but there is a Cov uni thread here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127564&page=8

As for the halls, there is only one uni owned hall (priory) that is a block, to my knowledge, some other new ones are less concrete but still tower blocks

ooo also (this response is getting long:p: ) my friend from back home (whom i'm sharing a house with) is going to the next open day after your one i think... you should enjoy the open day, mine was pretty good... anyhoo, ask away:smile:
All I can tell you is Coventry is quite a nice place. I know people go on about how it is horrible but I do find it alright.
Are there any cheap gyms on campus/in town?

What is the nightlife like?

Do you know anybody doing sports science?
Reply 6
I'm not sure about the uni but I've been to this area and I have some friends living in Coventry. It's nice... but boring.
Reply 7
I went to an open day yesterday for my course. There was only 1 other person there that applied to the same course as me. The university itself seemed quite good, I went and looked at it last year as well as my school took the whole of lower sixth.

I didn't find the course as good as I did in Bournemouth so that helped me make my mind up for my firm choice but I did like the uni overall. I didn't have an interview there or anything although as there was only 1 other person there it felt a bit like one because they only had us to ask questions to.
I can tell you a lot about Coventry as a city but I don't know all that much about the Uni.

I've lived here all my life, and honestly I'm only just starting to appreciate the city. A lot of redevelopment is going on, so although it may seem a bit grotty, it's getting better. Some parts of Cov are actually really beautiful (the parts that weren't blitzed during the war), it's just a case of finding them! Unfortunately most of Cov was rebuilt in the 60s (we were hit really badly in WWII) so a lot of the architecture is ugly.

Sports facilities: the Uni is really close to the main sports centre so yes, it's easy to get to and although I don't know much about prices etc. I can't see it being much.

City Centre generally has everything you would need in terms of shops, though transport links to Birmingham are great and it's only 20 minutes on the train so there's always that option. The railway station is, however, a little way out of town, so it's slightly inconvenient in that sense. No more than a 15 minute walk if you know the way though.

I've been on school trips to Cov uni before, and from what I've seen (really just the arts dept.) I can't say I was hugely impressed, though I know that Cov is seen as being excellent for some subjects and not so great for others, so I honestly have no idea about Sports Science!

I know I answered non-existent questions there but I hope it helped a little anyway!
Andy Pipkin
Are there any cheap gyms on campus/in town?

What is the nightlife like?

Do you know anybody doing sports science?

ok point one:

yes, the uni gym is free to all first year students providing they stay in halls for the first year. Otherwise the gym is usually £99 for the year (which i believe is pretty cheap, considering you can hire out the hall for free also)

2. If you are an avid clubber you may be disappointed, but it depends what you're into, most find themselves entertained enough and don't complain

3. I don't know anyone that does sports science, but when i went for football trials, i went to the Cov centre that does various sports there and i think that is where the sports science people go.... it's Very nice and pretty new
Oh yeah on the cathedral

Its 1973

German Tourists: Where is the cathedral?

Booking Clerk: Why? You didnt have any trouble finding it 30 years ago

Coventry was completely razed in WW2
im from near there and know the uni is rubbish and rubbish area.
Reply 12
Cov isnt a bad place to live in, and if you get bored with the cov area birmingham is 15 - 30 min train journey where there are pleanty of things to keep you occupied.

And plus we are getting a IKEA :biggrin:
Noxid
Oh yeah on the cathedral

Its 1973

German Tourists: Where is the cathedral?

Booking Clerk: Why? You didnt have any trouble finding it 30 years ago

Coventry was completely razed in WW2

yep, and the ruins of the cathedral are still standing; the new cathedral is built right by it. How many other cities can say they have two cathedrals? :biggrin:

The ruins of the old cathedral are actually really lovely, and they put on some fab events there.
Nickolas
Cov isnt a bad place to live in, and if you get bored with the cov area birmingham is 15 - 30 min train journey where there are pleanty of things to keep you occupied.

And plus we are getting a IKEA :biggrin:

and a Starbucks :wink: (in the city centre I mean)
john williams

What a helpful contribution that was, neg rep my son.
Thanks for the good tips. Keep them keeping.

I am visiting Coventry Uni on March 11/12 for an Open Day and I am planning to stay in a hotel on Saturday night (on my own, alas).

Any good hotels that are respectable? I.E. no 1 star dumps!
Reply 17
john williams

some of cov may be a bit dull but some of it isn't and cov has alot of history e.g cov cathedral and lady Godiva, what other city is famous for having a women go nude on a horse through the city, and from that you get the term pepping tom, as lady Godiva husband band people for seeing her naked and someone took a peep and got caught.

just a bit of local history for you all :biggrin:
Reply 18
the best hotel is actually 2 min walk from the uni. it called the Menzies Leofric Hotel in the city center. 4 stars and 40 pound a night i would recommend this one

http://www.menzies-hotels.co.uk/

hope this helps you
Nickolas
the best hotel is actually 2 min walk from the uni. it called the Menzies Leofric Hotel in the city center. 4 stars and 40 pound a night i would recommend this one

http://www.menzies-hotels.co.uk/

hope this helps you

Great, just had a look on their site and tried to book.

But 1 adult for 1 night in their standard rooms = £80 (even without breakfast). :mad: Is there a cheaper hotel nearby?

Quick Reply

Latest