Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you all revise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I revise by getting the subject specification and typing up detailed notes for each topic and subtopic from my classnotes, textbooks and revision guides.
    Typing up the notes in itself is revision.
    That way I can organise the information into different colour fonts and bullet points, I use bold fonts to hightlight the names of theorists (which helps me remember them because they stick out).
    It saves time because the notes are always in order and if I lose a page I can just print out another.
    And if I need to add anything I dont have to mess up the notes with loads of arrows and scribble in the margin I can just edit the file!
    As the exam comes closer I can reduce the notes by deleting the detail and leaving a learnable skeleton, this reducing also counts as revision because it means going over the notes and identifying what you need to know.
    It is wise to keep a copy of the detailed notes though just in case.
    And the lists of bullet points are quite easy to learn .

Try it, it really is the best way to revise.

Good luck with the exams everyone!

M x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mineko)
    Hi,
    I revise by getting the subject specification and typing up detailed notes for each topic and subtopic from my classnotes, textbooks and revision guides.
    Typing up the notes in itself is revision.
    That way I can organise the information into different colour fonts and bullet points, I use bold fonts to hightlight the names of theorists (which helps me remember them because they stick out).
    It saves time because the notes are always in order and if I lose a page I can just print out another.
    And if I need to add anything I dont have to mess up the notes with loads of arrows and scribble in the margin I can just edit the file!
    As the exam comes closer I can reduce the notes by deleting the detail and leaving a learnable skeleton, this reducing also counts as revision because it means going over the notes and identifying what you need to know.
    It is wise to keep a copy of the detailed notes though just in case.
    And the lists of bullet points are quite easy to learn .

Try it, it really is the best way to revise.

Good luck with the exams everyone!

M x

Yeh, does seem like a really good way, thanks!

and for english lit have discussions about it on here helps as you get other peoples interpretations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    and for english lit have discussions about it on here helps as you get other peoples interpretations
    Yeh sounds like a good idea, but I've already had my English Lit exam! Thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    Loads of practice questions, and copying out yet more notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    How do you revise because when I ask my friends most of them say they just read through their notes. I don't find this effective at all, and don't think it's really revision. You....?
    i go through the syllabus, making notes using the textbook and my class notes. the next day i read through everything, speaking it outloud (to myself if noone will listen!) then do a past paper/essay question. nearer the exam i make a mind map to condense my notes, and put it on the wall. i have read that if you use mind maps, the best way is to keep doing them, condensing them further and further, until basically one word stimulates you to remember hte wholke topic. keep checking back to previous notes though, to check you're a) accurate and b)getting everything in.

i also usually do a couple days revision with one or two friends, explaining bits to each other, and also assigning a topic to each of us, and then you have 5 minutes and one piece of A4 paper to get it all on. then you have to explain it to the others. (food rewards are good here-i find crunchie nuggets especially pleasing!) i find this really cements things in.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.