The Student Room Group

How to prepare to be a dentist at gsce level? What should I be doing now?

Okay so I'm thinking as a career path to go into dentistry when I'm older. I'm currently in year 10 and will be continuing with my igcses (I go to an English private school which is why we take international GCSEs). Of the 11 subjects I have chosen (further maths being the 11th), 3 of my options were biology, chemistry and physics. It's the summer holidays still and I'm wondering what should I be doing to increase my chances of when the time comes getting onto a dentistry course. Any topics I should be researching? Websites?
Original post by Schoollover
Okay so I'm thinking as a career path to go into dentistry when I'm older. I'm currently in year 10 and will be continuing with my igcses (I go to an English private school which is why we take international GCSEs). Of the 11 subjects I have chosen (further maths being the 11th), 3 of my options were biology, chemistry and physics. It's the summer holidays still and I'm wondering what should I be doing to increase my chances of when the time comes getting onto a dentistry course. Any topics I should be researching? Websites?

Get some work experience done if you haven't already.. General dental practise, dental laboratory, orthodontists are your main options.. Read around the subject, develop a better understanding of it and most importantly smash your iGCSE's. If you don't play some sort of instrument start learning, that kind of stuff is vital in showing 'manual dexterity' when applying for dentistry! Any other questions let me know I will try and help :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! So there isn't any age limits on starting work experience because that was what was stopping me. I already play violin grade 5 and saxophone grade 3 but I'm aiming to be both grade 8 on both of them by the time I need to write them down on my UCAS form and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest