Turn on thread page Beta

Muslims promoting chopping peoples' hands off (tsr) watch

ReputationRep:
    Moderate Muslims are not doing enough. (Even on TSR)

On this thread 3 muslims support chopping shoplifters' hands off as punishment.

How can we have this form of extremist mentality in the Uk amongst so called 'moderate muslims' and then wonder why Islam gets such a raw deal? I also wonder what fellow Muslims have to say about this? Do you support the same view as punishment?

This isn't normal or right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by le_darkhorse)
    Moderate Muslims are not doing enough. (Even on TSR)

On this thread 3 muslims support chopping shoplifters' hands off as punishment.

How can we have this form of extremist mentality in the Uk amongst so called 'moderate muslims' and then wonder why Islam gets such a raw deal? I also wonder what fellow Muslims have to say about this? Do you support the same view as punishment?

This isn't normal or right.
    I don't agree with that. It's too extreme and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    No, ****ing peaceful religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefreakoffreaks)
    I don't agree with that. It's too extreme and unnecessary.
    Well according to them and all their folk they are 'moderate muslims'. There you go.

I haven't seen it in real life before.
    It's to set an example so others don't steal. It also has to be a significant amount that they steal for their hand to be chopped off.
    It's not as bad as a beheading or a life sentence or even a death penalty. Like some other countries still enforce. (Even this one at some point did too...).

*I would never chop hands. I never will, never would, never could.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    It's to set an example so others don't steal. It also has to be a significant amount that they steal for their hand to be chopped off.
    It's not as bad as a beheading or a life sentence or even a death penalty. Like some other countries still enforce. (Even this one at some point did too...).
    Yeah because that justifies it, steal some material items and then be inflicted with such horrific injuries it scars you for life and severely hinders you from looking after yourself which makes you even more dependent on stealing!

the sharia doesn't specify how much it is that you steal which justifies the punishment, first time you get caught stealing you get a light sentence and a warning, second you get your hand cut off!

(Original post by AverageExcellence)
    Yeah because that justifies it, steal some material items and then be inflicted with such horrific injuries it scars you for life and severely hinders you from looking after yourself which makes you even more dependent on stealing!

the sharia doesn't specify how much it is that you steal which justifies the punishment, first time you get caught stealing you get a light sentence and a warning, second you get your hand cut off!
    Or just not steal in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Well aren't we lucky! Lets not say its wrong, but justify it.

ReputationRep:
    Or just not steal in the first place.
    Sounds like you have a very naive, ignorant view of why people steal. Its not always selfish greed that makes people steal, if a family can't afford to live or have severe addictions then they are so desperate and mentally diminished that they feel they have no choice but to steal..

how is maiming a person like that a deterrent, the fact that people are still having their arms cut off in saudi arabia shows that despite the barbarous treatment it clearly doesn't stop people from stealing.

I'd like to see you on the street living in the gutter hungry and cold and see how much sympathy you get when people are calling for you to be butchered for doing everything you can to survive.

ReputationRep:
    Not true. Sharia law allows for the mutilation of people for stealing things as trivial as an apple.

What country hands out death penalties for theft?

ReputationRep:
    So from the sounds of it you are another one who supports it. The worrying thing is if you guys believe this then what else barmy and wickedly violent beliefs do you hold? Very worrying.

(Original post by cacra)
    Not true. Sharia law allows for the mutilation of people for stealing things as trivial as an apple.

I guess that is something that varies between the different sectors as it has always been a difference of opinion

ReputationRep:
    I guess that is something that varies between the different sectors as it has always been a difference of opinion
    No it isnt. A country that follows Sharia law to the letter will mutilate someone for stealing an apple (even kids.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cacra)

So from the sounds of it you are another one who supports it. The worrying thing is if you guys believe this then what else barmy and wickedly violent beliefs do you hold? Very worrying.
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    No such thing as bodily autonomy in Islam remember. Wives can be used as fields to plough whenever, lashings and stonings are common place, baby boys have parts of their **** chopped off... fun for all the family

ReputationRep:
    I honestly do not see the problem. Don't want your hands chopped off, don't steal. There's a reason no one steals anything in places like Saudi Arabia. Apparently jewellery shops literally leave the stuff unguarded at prayer time, because of how safe it is.

I'm not saying I personally condone the practice, but to act like it is factually morally wrong regardless of perspective and differing cultures, is stupid as hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    Sounds like you have a very naive, ignorant view of why people steal. Its not always selfish greed that makes people steal, if a family can't afford to live or have severe addictions then they are so desperate and mentally diminished that they feel they have no choice but to steal..

how is maiming a person like that a deterrent, the fact that people are still having their arms cut off in saudi arabia shows that despite the barbarous treatment it clearly doesn't stop people from stealing.

I'd like to see you on the street living in the gutter hungry and cold and see how much sympathy you get when people are calling for you to be butchered for doing everything you can to survive.
    Lol there are exceptions in some cases where you won't get the punishment for stealing.

And also it has made a difference. In Saudi when people go for prayer, they can leave their gold and jewellery shops unlocked and people won't steal from there (there might be a minority who do).

If I found someone stealing from me I wouldn't chop there hand off. Even if I was in Saudi Arabia or here, if it was from someone homeless or desperate then I would probably give them food or some sustenance...

(Original post by College_Dropout)
    Or look at things from another prospective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Lol there are exceptions in some cases where you won't get the punishment for stealing.

And also it has made a difference. In Saudi when people go for prayer, they can leave their gold and jewellery shops unlocked and people won't steal from there (there might be a minority who do).
    Have you got any statistical evidence to back that claim up or are you just using anecdotal evidence of someone who clearly supports the use of sharia punishment? id guess the latter.

ReputationRep:
    le_betahorse is maaaad

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.