The Student Room Group

Should I change university course through adjustment?

Hey there,

So i got my place that i wanted at my first choice uni, and i was thrilled, but now that i have thought about it and after looking at my grades i feel like i should change course.

I am now going to be studying a film related course in Leeds, but have always had a love for English. Now that i have had good grades in English, i was wondering whether i should look into doing a joint honours with the two. I am worried as i don't want to make a mistake and sacrifice the course i fell in love with originally.

Something else that puts me off is knowing that the joint honours part for film will be dofferent to the initial course.

I woukd be truly grateful for any advice anyone could give me.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Yates_96
Hey there,

I am now going to be studying a film related course in Leeds, but have always had a love for English. Now that i have had good grades in English, i was wondering whether i should look into doing a joint honours with the two. I am worried as i don't want to make a mistake and sacrifice the course i fell in love with originally.

It kinda sucks, but joint honours with stuff like English, Media Studies, Art History etc. isn't always a strong choice, and can lead you to have too general a qualification for anything outside of working with the media, e.g. a straight English student might be considered to work in Law later in life, a dual-honours student might not.

If you love English then it is a more widely useful degree (and generally considered "stronger", in a vague sense) than Film Studies if you have an opportunity to switch, but otherwise a dual-honours with it might be a good idea if you do want to work in media and film. If you can't then it's fine, Film Studies is (as you can expect) the best direct choice for going straight into film, but if you can get a lag on the English Literature horse, that would be a good move :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending