The Student Room Group

DBS Panel Meeting

Hi all,

Looking for advice please.

I've been accepted on a Secondary PGCE but have been told I have to attend a panel meeting regarding my Enhanced DBS disclosure, which has shown a caution from 5 years ago for 'using threatening, abusive, insulting words or behaviour w/i to cause fear or provocation of violence'. I didn't disclose this on my application as frankly, it never even crossed my mind that it would still be on my record. I stupidly felt cautions drop off after a couple of years. I know better now !

Anyhow, I realise the description sounds horrendous. However the actual incident involved a drunken bloke attacking and throwing punches at me at a sporting event, and me grabbing his hooded top and pulling it over his face so he couldn't see where he was throwing these punches. I told the police this, they verified it with CCTV and accepted I was telling the truth. Unfortunately, in grabbing the chap's hood, they advised I had committed a crime but due to my good record I could accept a caution as it would prevent me having to appear in court.

Now I've got to attend a panel meeting in a month, which not only threatens my ability to complete the course, but also delays my enrolment and the payment of student finance, which is very problematic for myself and family (I have two young children).

I guess what I want to know is whether this could seriously affect my place ? Anyone had any experience of these meetings and what they're about ? I have spoken with the DBS and they confirmed that this would drop off my record after 6 years (in 12 months) and so my record will then be perfectly clean. I'm concerned the panel may think I've left this off on purpose through dishonesty.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Scot
Reply 1
Oh no! I can't advise you- but wish you luck.
Worst comes to worst, you will have to wait for it to be clear again. I know someone who has a driving offence on their dbs and they went to meeting but still got offered a place. Quite a serious driving offence or how it is made out on the dbs. You probably will get a place I reckon, they have to have a meeting if anything comes up
Reply 3
Edge Hill provides information regarding what they do in situations like this, which may be useful to you: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/admissions/dbs/cautions/

I think they will simply want to know about the circumstances surrounding the caution and whether you would react in the same way if you were in a similar situation now. They would have withdrawn their offer if they felt there was no chance they could admit you onto the course so clearly this caution in itself isn't something that prevents you from keeping your place. The incident occurred a number of years ago and you have an otherwise clean record, which indicates that it was a mistake that you've learnt from and would never make again - that is what you need to communicate to them. Best of luck!
Original post by Scots111

Total and complete honesty from start to finish is your best plan. They will probably be more concerned with the fact that you didn't disclose, than the incident, once you explain what happened. You just need to be honest and don't make excuses.

Understand that their concern is having someone with the potential for violence and deception in their course, but show that other than a misunderstanding about what should have been disclosed, and an attempt to end a fight non-violently but that counted as violent in legal terms, you didn't intend either action, and they are both out of character.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending