Are there holiday dates in October? Or should I bring my Xbox to Uni?

Watch
theperformer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have a bit of a dilemma; Halo 5 is being released on October 27th (Tuesday). And of course, I have to play it; so out of curiosity are there holiday dates at that time anyway?

If not, should I bring my Xbox to Uni? Will I get time to use it and does Xbox live work at Uni?
Mathlover123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not sure what Uni you are going to but the idea that university is an all work no play environment is very false, in reality most people spend less time working then they did when they were in A-level. Also if you really want to play it that much as long as you are not marked on attendance you could always just not go to lectures that day/week and catch up later.
GuppyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not usually - some unis and courses have reading weeks but this isn't guaranteed.

Yes you should bring your xbox - you wont be out 24/7 and if you have 2 pads you'll guaranteed to find someone to play it with often. Just make sure you are in a room which is locked up as you don't want it stolen!

If you're moving into halls then it is extremely unlikely you'll be able to log into Xbox Live - uni's internet usually firewall this stuff or have it inaccessible because of the way you connect and log into the network. (I was in halls when GTAV was released and couldn't play the online for months - the horror was unbearable )
theperformer
Rep:
?
(Original post by GuppyFox)
Not usually - some unis and courses have reading weeks but this isn't guaranteed.

Yes you should bring your xbox - you wont be out 24/7 and if you have 2 pads you'll guaranteed to find someone to play it with often. Just make sure you are in a room which is locked up as you don't want it stolen!

If you're moving into halls then it is extremely unlikely you'll be able to log into Xbox Live - uni's internet usually firewall this stuff or have it inaccessible because of the way you connect and log into the network.
I dont think Im in uni halls, but if I am, why do they block it?!!

Can I bypass it?

That means I won't be able to play Halo 5 multiplayer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
theperformer
Rep:
?
So I assume there are no holiday dates in October?

Posted from TSR Mobile
theperformer
Rep:
?

If you're moving into halls then it is extremely unlikely you'll be able to log into Xbox Live - uni's internet usually firewall this stuff or have it inaccessible because of the way you connect and log into the network. (I was in halls when GTAV was released and couldn't play the online for months - the horror was unbearable )
I applied for accomodation a few days ago, how do I find out which accomodation I get given?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GuppyFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theperformer)
I dont think Im in uni halls, but if I am, why do they block it?!!

Can I bypass it?

That means I won't be able to play Halo 5 multiplayer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not really a purpose ban, but that they use a specific way to authenticate people logging into the internet (anti virus and that) that isn't supported on most gaming consoles - there are workarounds but they are tough and don't always work - I managed to get my PS3 hooked up to my uni internet but it involved creating a hotspot on my laptop and even then it was slow and most games wouldn't connect to their servers.
Mathlover123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The most you will possibly have for most course is a reading week that is usually in October but as I say you will have plenty of time to play on your Xbox.
theperformer
Rep:
?
It's not really a purpose ban, but that they use a specific way to authenticate people logging into the internet (anti virus and that) that isn't supported on most gaming consoles - there are workarounds but they are tough and don't always work - I managed to get my PS3 hooked up to my uni internet but it involved creating a hotspot on my laptop and even then it was slow and most games wouldn't connect to their servers.
Could I use Xbox Live if I'm living in an off campus studio?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mathlover123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes ofc you could...
GuppyFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I'd imagine so, I think the uni network only goes to campus halls. I'd still say it's worth checking though how your internet is being provided.

If the studio is privately/agency rented to you then you'll have no problem
Jacob Boris
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No unfortunately you can't bypass it as it's usually nothing to do with firewalls but to do with the type of network (don't ask me specifics, I'm no tech expert), but what kind of accommodation will you be in, which Uni, and what course?
Also it's unlikely that there will be a holiday in October as most uni courses only start teaching at the start of October anyway, if you have coursework on your course deadlines will be fast approaching by the end of October too. Depending on the course you might have a week that isn't taught (a reading week) but most people stay at uni, as that tends to have their first deadline in it.
Take your Xbox, enjoy Halo 5 (campaign), then play the multiplayer during your xmas holidays, which usually are 4 weeks, from apprx. the 14th Dec - 12th Jan (ish)
theperformer
Rep:
?
Yes I'd imagine so, I think the uni network only goes to campus halls. I'd still say it's worth checking though how your internet is being provided.

If the studio is privately/agency rented to you then you'll have no problem

Nice, so if I do end up in halls, do you think bypassing the network is worth is a try?

I know you said it most likely wont work, but Ive just read up on some instances where people succsessfully bypassed it. Seems like a lot of work to do that tho...
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
XBOX isn't blocked at all uni halls - which one are you going to op?
Jacob Boris
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends who provides the internet, whether it's private, or an agency etc. and of course who provides the studio. BGPs internet at UoN, won't allow games consoles to connect as far as I know, due to the type of internet they provide.
theperformer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jacob Boris)
No unfortunately you can't bypass it as it's usually nothing to do with firewalls but to do with the type of network (don't ask me specifics, I'm no tech expert), but what kind of accommodation will you be in, which Uni, and what course?
Also it's unlikely that there will be a holiday in October as most uni courses only start teaching at the start of October anyway, if you have coursework on your course deadlines will be fast approaching by the end of October too. Depending on the course you might have a week that isn't taught (a reading week) but most people stay at uni, as that tends to have their first deadline in it.
Take your Xbox, enjoy Halo 5 (campaign), then play the multiplayer during your xmas holidays, which usually are 4 weeks, from apprx. the 14th Dec - 12th Jan (ish)
Well this changes things

I applied for accomodation a few days ago and did so thru a preference based list. How do I find out which one I got? Email?

I contemplated playing Halo multiplayer thru Xmas but I REALLY want to play it as soon as it comes out
theperformer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
XBOX isn't blocked at all uni halls - which one are you going to op?
Lincoln
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lincoln
Try asking in the Lincoln forum?
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a bit of a dilemma; Halo 5 is being released on October 27th (Tuesday). And of course, I have to play it; so out of curiosity are there holiday dates at that time anyway?

If not, should I bring my Xbox to Uni? Will I get time to use it and does Xbox live work at Uni?
For the main part bringing your x box to uni could be a good idea not only for halo 5 it could be used for game nights if you don't feel like going out or pre gaming My brother played pro evo shots every time you scored the other person ( the one you scored against took a shot most people git very drunk except chris because he was very good at pro evo
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
possibly if your not using the unis network
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (218)
33.8%
No (427)
66.2%

Watched Threads