blitzchika
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How big is the jump from GCSE? I'm fine with reading but I struggle with listening to fast spanish. Did you improve throughout the year? Also is it similar to GCSE where you learn vocabs from topics or do you actually need to learn about spanish culture (books, films etc) Thanks
tinkerbella~
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by blitzchika)
How big is the jump from GCSE? I'm fine with reading but I struggle with listening to fast spanish. Did you improve throughout the year? Also is it similar to GCSE where you learn vocabs from topics or do you actually need to learn about spanish culture (books, films etc) Thanks
You've probably started by now but I just finished AS last year so I'll try and explain it a bit

I personally did IGCSE which I think was slightly more similar towards the AS Level than standard GCSE but even still, there's a big step up. However I actually found the listening and reading sections of the exam 10x easier than IGCSE! You can control the listening yourself so you can listen to it as many times as you like & pause it to jot down bits of information (though be careful not to waste all your exam time doing this). Because Spanish is so phonetic you can just try to copy down whatever they say without knowing what it means either.

It's similar to GCSE in the sense that you do different topics - media (TV, advertising, technology), popular culture (music, cinema, fashion), health living (sport, health, holidays) and relationships (family, friends, relationships). Books and films only come in at A2.

Definitely try and learn vocab as you go along so it doesn't all pile up at the end. The oral can be quite a big thing so I suggest you try and do as much speaking as possible! Even if it's just reading things out to yourself. Don't underestimate grammar because there'll be a whole question on it, as well as it being an important part of the essay. Also try and learn good sentence starters and little Spanish phrases (can't remember the word for them, the ones that translate as something funny if taken literally but mean something in Spanish - like "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" or whatever) as examiners like them.

I have summary notes for each topic that I did in preparation for the oral and then reused for the real exam, if you think you'd find them useful then PM me and I don't mind sending them over Good luck!
blitzchika
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by C0pper)
You've probably started by now but I just finished AS last year so I'll try and explain it a bit

I personally did IGCSE which I think was slightly more similar towards the AS Level than standard GCSE but even still, there's a big step up. However I actually found the listening and reading sections of the exam 10x easier than IGCSE! You can control the listening yourself so you can listen to it as many times as you like & pause it to jot down bits of information (though be careful not to waste all your exam time doing this). Because Spanish is so phonetic you can just try to copy down whatever they say without knowing what it means either.

It's similar to GCSE in the sense that you do different topics - media (TV, advertising, technology), popular culture (music, cinema, fashion), health living (sport, health, holidays) and relationships (family, friends, relationships). Books and films only come in at A2.

Definitely try and learn vocab as you go along so it doesn't all pile up at the end. The oral can be quite a big thing so I suggest you try and do as much speaking as possible! Even if it's just reading things out to yourself. Don't underestimate grammar because there'll be a whole question on it, as well as it being an important part of the essay. Also try and learn good sentence starters and little Spanish phrases (can't remember the word for them, the ones that translate as something funny if taken literally but mean something in Spanish - like "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" or whatever) as examiners like them.

I have summary notes for each topic that I did in preparation for the oral and then reused for the real exam, if you think you'd find them useful then PM me and I don't mind sending them over Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice!! The texts we need to read are a major step up but I'm finding it interesting at the moment
charlotted123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by blitzchika)
I was nervous about the jump from GCSE to AS when I went to college but honestly, it's fine. The teachers won't expect you to be fluent in the language. When it comes to listening-practice, practice, practice throughout the year and you'll be fine. I learnt a lot of vocab on my course and had weekly tests. I don't know about your exam board, however the study of Spanish culture was in the second year, rather than AS. AS is more about refining your grammar and vocab.

Hope this helps
¡buena suerte!
GabbytheGreek_48
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im so bad at listening so the fact that we get to play it over is awesome (although I dont know how much it will help)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University