Not sure what to drop: english lit. or geography?

Watch
itsConnor_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

So, before results I was pretty sure (~70%) I was going to drop english literature as I think I enjoy geography a bit more and find it easier, although ended up getting an A in english lit. (100%) and an A in geography (93.5%).

Therefore if I took english, I would need 60% UMS in A2 to get an A and potentially lower if I did very well in the coursework again (coursework accounts for 40% of A2).

Pros for taking English:
  • Better teachers (one of my geog. teachers left at Easter so will only have 1 'proper' teacher and another KS3 teacher teaching 30% of the A2)
  • Need 60% UMS in A2 to get an A overall
  • 40% of A2 is coursework (if I got full marks in coursework, I would need a high U in the exam [E is 48, would need 40 UMS] for an A)
Pros for taking Geography:
  • Enjoy it a bit more and find it a bit easier
  • Lessons are more relaxed
Other option is taking all 4 subjects (would be maths, chem, geog and english), although I'm struggling to see the point of doing so.

Is the only logical option English? Any help?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Cinnamon_Fairy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by itsConnor_)
Hi,

So, before results I was pretty sure (~70%) I was going to drop english literature as I think I enjoy geography a bit more and find it easier, although ended up getting an A in english lit. (100%) and an A in geography (93.5%).

Therefore if I took english, I would need 60% UMS in A2 to get an A and potentially lower if I did very well in the coursework again (coursework accounts for 40% of A2).

Pros for taking English:
  • Better teachers (one of my geog. teachers left at Easter so will only have 1 'proper' teacher and another KS3 teacher teaching 30% of the A2)
  • Need 60% UMS in A2 to get an A overall
  • 40% of A2 is coursework (if I got full marks in coursework, I would need a high U in the exam [E is 48, would need 40 UMS] for an A)
Pros for taking Geography:
  • Enjoy it a bit more and find it a bit easier
  • Lessons are more relaxed
Other option is taking all 4 subjects (would be maths, chem, geog and english), although I'm struggling to see the point of doing so.

Is the only logical option English? Any help?
Congrats on those results! Since you did so well in both I'd so go with the one you enjoy more which is geo, also in terms of your other a levels geo goes better with them than english does. But it's all up to you, do you think that despite the teacher situation you can keep up the grades, if so, I'd say definitely go with the one you enjoy the most.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed