The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do a-level maths (as+a2) in 1 year

So i finished my AS exams and received BBBC. However the degrees i'm interested in need maths. i'm asking how hard is it to do both AS and A2 in 1 year. i'm not great at maths, I only received an A at GCSE. However im fully determined to work my hardest. I'm looking to get a B atleast. so has anyone else done it and if so, how hard did you find it, bearing in mind i'm probably not as smart as you! any advice will be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
AS is doable, but A2 is very hard. This is coming from someone who achieved A* at GCSE and an an A at A-level, over TWO years

But it's not impossible
Depends on your individual results for each of the exams really.
Reply 3
Hard but doable. I did Maths A level over two years but Further Maths A level over one year (so effectively 9 modules of maths in one year). You will have to put in a lot of work.
Reply 4
It's easy to get an a/a* in maths a level in year 12 if you work hard, speaking from exoerience. It's really easy to get an a if you have a natural ability and work hard but significantly harder if you want an a*.

I did the whole of maths a2 in year 12 (this year just gone) and I received an a star with 574/600 UMS

C1: 89/100
C2: 93/100
C3: 100/100
C4: 100/100
S1: 100/100
M1: 92/100

As you can see, I focused more on c3 and c4 than c1 and c2 and also I focused more on s1 because I'm doing economics. I always read ahead for maths and did solomon papers for ocr for only c3 and c4 which really helped for them. The reason I didn't do so well in other modules is because I wanted to focus more on my other subjects which I received an average of 98.2 UMS for.
I personally have not tried doing both AS and A2 in one year, but my college offers it for some courses to some people that did well enough in their GCSEs, however I have never heard someone say this is easy. This year I've known two people who took two A2 and then did citizenship AS and A2 this year, and it's certainly a risk. You don't have the indicator of an AS result to know how you might fare so you're going in blind. If you're talking about doing 3 A2 and then having an additional AS and A2 of maths along with it...I would strongly advise you don't. Not only do you still have the uncertainty of the previous scenario but now you're technically doing 5 subjects and some subjects build on what you've learnt in AS in A2 so you might be doing an A2 topic that requires some basic previous knowledge that you don't have because it's two more months before you cover it in your AS. I did four full A levels this year and it was difficult to say the least - you need to have good time management, be willing to sacrifice a lot of personal time you would spend with friends etc, and you need to be sure that you're not damaging your results because you're stretching yourself thin. Overall I wish I'd only done 3, it was of absolutely no benefit to me to do 4. Of course this is just my experience so take it with a pinch of salt as I'm sure there's someone out there with a different experience to me.
I'd definitely talk this over with your teachers who can assess your situation with a better knowledge than any of us - they'll know your strengths and weaknesses and how driven you are to see it through.
Original post by InkedPage
I personally have not tried doing both AS and A2 in one year, but my college offers it for some courses to some people that did well enough in their GCSEs, however I have never heard someone say this is easy. This year I've known two people who took two A2 and then did citizenship AS and A2 this year, and it's certainly a risk. You don't have the indicator of an AS result to know how you might fare so you're going in blind. If you're talking about doing 3 A2 and then having an additional AS and A2 of maths along with it...I would strongly advise you don't. Not only do you still have the uncertainty of the previous scenario but now you're technically doing 5 subjects and some subjects build on what you've learnt in AS in A2 so you might be doing an A2 topic that requires some basic previous knowledge that you don't have because it's two more months before you cover it in your AS. I did four full A levels this year and it was difficult to say the least - you need to have good time management, be willing to sacrifice a lot of personal time you would spend with friends etc, and you need to be sure that you're not damaging your results because you're stretching yourself thin. Overall I wish I'd only done 3, it was of absolutely no benefit to me to do 4. Of course this is just my experience so take it with a pinch of salt as I'm sure there's someone out there with a different experience to me.
I'd definitely talk this over with your teachers who can assess your situation with a better knowledge than any of us - they'll know your strengths and weaknesses and how driven you are to see it through.

It definitely depends on strength of the teaching and your commitment and interest, as well as your number of subjects. I did maths further maths chemistry biology AAAB.

35 of us did A-level maths in one year, and we got very good results.
Original post by MAK98
So i finished my AS exams and received BBBC. However the degrees i'm interested in need maths. i'm asking how hard is it to do both AS and A2 in 1 year. i'm not great at maths, I only received an A at GCSE. However im fully determined to work my hardest. I'm looking to get a B atleast. so has anyone else done it and if so, how hard did you find it, bearing in mind i'm probably not as smart as you! any advice will be appreciated :smile:

There are three questions here:

(1) is it possible to do six maths modules in one year?
Yes - some schools teach the whole of Maths in Y12 followed by Further Maths in Y13 - obv they timetable it as a double subject. The students who struggle in Y12 are the mathematically weaker ones who have not developed the maturity to tackle tougher stuff.

(2) Is an A at GCSE good enough? Yes.

(3) Can you personally cope? Hard to advise. C3 and C4 are quite hard in the sense that they need some mathematical feel. But maths is about practice - just keep doing questions until you get them right in reasonable time. Choose your applied modules to fit in with your other subjects and tastes - mechanics goes well with Physics for example.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by ian.slater
There are three questions here:

(1) is it possible to do six maths modules in one year?
Yes - some schools teach the whole of Maths in Y12 followed by Further Maths in Y13 - obv they timetable it as a double subject. The students who struggle in Y12 are the mathematically weaker ones who have not developed the maturity to tackle tougher stuff.

(2) Is an A at GCSE good enough? Yes.

(3) Can you personally cope? Hard to advise. C3 and C4 are quite hard in the sense that they need some mathematical feel. But maths is about practice - just keep doing questions until you get them right in reasonable time. Choose your applied modules to fit in with your other subjects and tastes - mechanics goes well with Physics for example.

Good luck!

Thank you! This gave me a lot of confidence. I did Bio chem and physics so i'll think i'll choose mechanics if i do choose to do maths. Thanks again, this answered a lot of my questions.
Reply 9
Original post by PS4
It's easy to get an a/a* in maths a level in year 12 if you work hard, speaking from exoerience. It's really easy to get an a if you have a natural ability and work hard but significantly harder if you want an a*.

I did the whole of maths a2 in year 12 (this year just gone) and I received an a star with 574/600 UMS

As you can see, I focused more on c3 and c4 than c1 and c2 and also I focused more on s1 because I'm doing economics. I always read ahead for maths and did solomon papers for ocr for only c3 and c4 which really helped for them. The reason I didn't do so well in other modules is because I wanted to focus more on my other subjects which I received an average of 98.2 UMS for.

dude.. your worst mark is 89/100 ums. That's bloody brilliant. i'd be over the moon with that.
Reply 10
Original post by MAK98
dude.. your worst mark is 89/100 ums. That's bloody brilliant. i'd be over the moon with that.

Yeah but it's c1- the easiest module :tongue:
I did intensive Biology and English Language this year. Go for it. Just make sure to put the work in!
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Hard but doable. I did Maths A level over two years but Further Maths A level over one year (so effectively 9 modules of maths in one year). You will have to put in a lot of work.

Hey, I'm just about to do the same thing (just finished AS and I'm taking all of FM this year. Do you have any advice about how to go about doing it? I'll be self teaching FP1 (already finished), M1 and either M2 or D1.
Reply 13
Original post by tommyprice5
Hey, I'm just about to do the same thing (just finished AS and I'm taking all of FM this year. Do you have any advice about how to go about doing it? I'll be self teaching FP1 (already finished), M1 and either M2 or D1.

Well different things work for different people but my strategy was this..
Learn C3/C4 ASAP. I learned FP1 during the school year and June; I started learning C3 and M1 (though M1 was quite easy due to physics overlap) in June and opted to self-teach rather than go at my class's pace, except for the chosen A level module, S2 (I was excused from the C3 and 4 lessons). By late August I had a pretty good grounding in C3 and C4 I think. My method was basically just to go through the Edexcel books, rather simple but it works, do some of the questions (although, due to the importance of time constraints, I wouldn't spend too long on book questions) and practice with as many past papers as I could get my hands on (though leaving a few for later revision, naturally).

When it came to teaching myself more modules like M2, FP2, and FP3 I would do the same thing but it was conceptually more challenging so I would also make sure to go on examsolutions for stuff I didn't understand wherever possible as well as spend more time just thinking about material rather than solely ploughing through questions. I did have fortnightly lessons; lessons are your best opportunity to try and consolidate understanding. If your teacher is making you just work through questions and nothing more this isn't good as you can and should do this at home. Then again, depending on your ability you might not find any roadblocks in this area at all - personally I might have done a fair bit worse on mechanics without teaching assistance, but you can often find excellent advice on here (which I have done several times).

Most of all it comes down to what everybody says about maths: practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. But don't expect this to get you A*s in every module: as modules like FP3 and S3 showed this year, you better be on the ball with mathematical, abstract thinking and understanding or you can be caught out regardless of how much practice.

With my loose "strategy" of learning I got 591/600 in Further Maths this year and 300/300 in A2 Maths, so it worked very well for me.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Well different things work for different people but my strategy was this..
Learn C3/C4 ASAP. I learned FP1 during the school year and June; I started learning C3 and M1 (though M1 was quite easy due to physics overlap) in June and opted to self-teach rather than go at my class's pace, except for the chosen A level module, S2 (I was excused from the C3 and 4 lessons). By late August I had a pretty good grounding in C3 and C4 I think. My method was basically just to go through the Edexcel books, rather simple but it works, do some of the questions (although, due to the importance of time constraints, I wouldn't spend too long on book questions) and practice with as many past papers as I could get my hands on (though leaving a few for later revision, naturally).

When it came to teaching myself more modules like M2, FP2, and FP3 I would do the same thing but it was conceptually more challenging so I would also make sure to go on examsolutions for stuff I didn't understand wherever possible as well as spend more time just thinking about material rather than solely ploughing through questions. I did have fortnightly lessons; lessons are your best opportunity to try and consolidate understanding. If your teacher is making you just work through questions and nothing more this isn't good as you can and should do this at home. Then again, depending on your ability you might not find any roadblocks in this area at all - personally I might have done a fair bit worse on mechanics without teaching assistance, but you can often find excellent advice on here (which I have done several times).

Most of all it comes down to what everybody says about maths: practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. But don't expect this to get you A*s in every module: as modules like FP3 and S3 showed this year, you better be on the ball with mathematical, abstract thinking and understanding or you can be caught out regardless of how much practice.

With my loose "strategy" of learning I got 591/600 in Further Maths this year and 300/300 in A2 Maths, so it worked very well for me.

Ok thanks for the help. I've already finished C3/C4 (save for a few bits of chapters that I need to go over, so by your schedule I should be okay.
Original post by PS4

Congratulations on the result, the hard work has certainly paid off!

In my case I would only be retaking A2 English, freeing up a LOT of time within my timetable. However, I feel as if I need an extra A-level (only have 2 "good" ones at the moment) and therefore have opted to see if I can do both AS and A2 Media Studies in 1 year. I am still a little skeptical at choosing this option but bearing in mind I'd have a lot of free time so I'm going to try it out and see. That is, if my school would allow me to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest