The Student Room Group

Future prospects

So upon getting my AS results last week, I found that I had managed to get AABB. This came as a pleasant surprise to me, as I was highly concerned I was going to get poor grades in some of my subjects due to doing very little revision until the exams were close. I will be continuing with Geography (A), History (A) and English Literature (B) to A2, whilst also planning to redo my coursework in English Literature to hopefully push the grade up to an A.

I aspire to study Law at university and have been doing work experience with local barristers and solicitors to help enhance my CV build my knowledge of law. Additionally, I have been doing my EPQ with a title related to law and given my AS grades, expect to achieve at least a B in it.

From this information, what are my chances of getting an offer from a Russell Group or other high standing university if I applied? Would it be possible for me to get into Oxbridge? What can I do to better my chances of getting into a good university?

Thank you for your time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dreaded Red
So upon getting my AS results last week, I found that I had managed to get AABB. This came as a pleasant surprise to me, as I was highly concerned I was going to get poor grades in some of my subjects due to doing very little revision until the exams were close. I will be continuing with Geography (A), History (A) and English Literature (B) to A2, whilst also planning to redo my coursework in English Literature to hopefully push the grade up to an A.

I aspire to study Law at university and have been doing work experience with local barristers and solicitors to help enhance my CV build my knowledge of law. Additionally, I have been doing my EPQ with a title related to law and given my AS grades, expect to achieve at least a B in it.

From this information, what are my chances of getting an offer from a Russell Group or other high standing university if I applied? Would it be possible for me to get into Oxbridge? What can I do to better my chances of getting into a good university?

Thank you for your time.

Hello! I think that you have a very good chance of getting into a Russell Group university with those grades. Most Russell Group unis will consider Law applicants on the basis of their predicted A2 grades rather than just AS results. From the AS results you have achieved, I think you are very likely to get a prediction of AAA if not higher. This means that you will meet the entrance requirements for these institutions. Also remember that a lot of Russell Group universities require you to sit the LNAT (Law National Admissions Test) and take your LNAT score into account when deciding whether to give you an offer. If your predicted grades are lower than other applicants but you have a good LNAT score, this will go in your favour.

If you are predicted AAA I would definitely consider applying to Oxbridge if you are interested in going there. However, it is worth knowing that the methods of study and assessment for Law are very different at Oxford and Cambridge to other Russell Group institutions. Whereas in most universities you will sit examinations at the end of every year, at Oxbridge this is not the case. You will complete exams at Easter of your first year and will not take another exam until the end of your third year. Even though you may have studied modules over a year previously, you will be expected to know the law as it stands at the time of sitting your examination. This mode of assessment is not suited to everyone and you should be aware of it before deciding to apply. If you make an Oxbridge application, admissions tutors will be looking for predicted grades of A*AA or higher and an exceptional performance in the LNAT. Oxbridge place much more weight on the essay aspect of the LNAT rather than the multiple choice questions, meaning that your writing needs to be outstanding.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dreaded Red

Thank you for your time.

Those are decent AS grades.

Getting into the likes of Bristol/UCL/Kings/LSE/Durham for Law will also depend on your GCSE's and score on the LNAT.

But assuming you have quite a few A*'s at GCSE and you get AAA at A2. Then yeah at least one Russell group uni will defo offer you a place.

Be careful though, don't just choose Law because your parents told you
it's respectable and you'll earn money. Pick up a few key law books - read
them and see if they actually interest you. My brother wasted 3 years studying law. He ended up going into accountancy instead.

Quick Reply

Latest