Guffrey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So the NHS is now replaced they're Emergency medical technicians and created the role of ECA, Emergency care assistant.

So the application takes on 4 aspects. The application itself, the group excersize, the driving asserted and of course the interveiw.

Personally I did look a lot into this to find some advice and guidence on what to expect, this was not widely available to be honest. The information on Ambulance trust sites does give a lot of information of what they are expecting in the right person, but not what they are expecting to achieve during the application.

So the initial application, there are a few things your really do need to hit it off for a successful ap, some however are a bit more lenient on their criteria, 3 GCSEs are important, however do not despair, this was immediately a non runner for me, I had no GCSE in English (embarrassing yes) but this is where the flexibility comes in, I have fire brigade experience and this is where you can swing it. Any care experience, first aiding, responding as a community responder or perhaps looking after an ill family member, military experience, all of these sorts of things are fantastic if you have evidence in performing them. Not every trust will take this as a replacement to 1 or 2 GCSEs but they will look at it more favourably if you can prove you have the sort of knowledge and commitment they want. I will add the application form on the NHS website application is brilliantly easy to use.

So, your through the application brilliant. Then you get an interveiw to a group exercise. Immediately you ask yourself what on earth could this involve, high ropes, bridge building, technical rescue. Ok so you go online to have a bit of research (group excersize is a strange search, be careful at work) and to be honest with you the answers are no help at all.

The group excersize is basically to see how you communicate together, it's a simple excersize that's designed to get you talking, and thinking of how you would solve a problem. The problem has no right answer, it is how you talk and listen is going to win you this one. Take time to listen to all opinions, if someone says something you don't like don't fire in your objection immediately, give them space to finish then put your argument across, make sure you have a good foundation for your point and don't waffle. I hope it goes without saying your want to be the nicest "you" that you can be. But don't try and be somebody your not, you will get found out.

So finally to round this thread off, I will post again in a couple of months with my next snippet when I know more, but in the mean time wish me luck, I will post about the driving assessment and interveiw. Hopefully if all goes well I will blog a about the initial 9 weeks training and 6 month clinical probation. Until then anything I have missed I will try to answer on here, good luck to all other applicants, this career is worth its weight in gold. We all at one point in our life will rely on paramedics and an ECA is the paramedics of tomorrow an pd that's where I want to be.

Thanks 😀
BigBird_1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for the post, its difficult to find any information about the application process. Can I ask you how long did it take them to contact you after the closing date for the applications?

Good luck with your new career journey
Guffrey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So for me the times were actually very quick, obviously in any case it depends on the recruiting trust to how quickly the results are processed. I can't speak for any categorically but I had an offer of employment within a month, that's good for any large company. But it does depend a lot on you. Anything you can do to make it quicker will be advantageous, references, medical forms, dbs checks. Do all these things as soon as possible, don't put any of it off. You may look keen but I don't think anyone has been fired for being over-keen.

Again I will add information as it happens, training is arduous. Prepare as much as you can. Read all the materials offered, listen inventively. The instructors are very knowledgable.

I will blog more soon
BigBird_1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for the reply Guffrey. The closing date for the applications was 23rd October, I haven't had a reply yet
Jacquiconway
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
HiyaI’ve got an interview at SWATS in 28th November and I’ve been reading that some divisions want you to do a grip/bleep rest with press ups and to be able to do a plank for a minute!!! I’m physically strong and averagely fit but can’t do a press up to save my life!!Will this be a fail straight away?! Am worried now!!!
tquilp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am going for assessment/ interview on Sat, 2nd of June, for Y.A.S. I have been told there are written tests on Maths and English. Could you give me any insight as to how intense these may be, I have functional skills level 2 in both Maths and English.
Also I am 57 yrs old, and have some Arthritis in my knees from working in Coal Mines for 37 yrs, However, I am active and still go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, will I be able to pass the physical tests ? thank you.
Georgie53
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi how did you do in your assessment was the test very difficult as I have been short listed for ESA and I am also worried about the fitness test. Thanks
BlueLightDriver
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Georgie53)
Hi how did you do in your assessment was the test very difficult as I have been short listed for ESA and I am also worried about the fitness test. Thanks
Which trust are you applying to? All trusts have different fitness test requirements, so it's impossible to advise without more information.
Georgie53
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BlueLightDriver)
Which trust are you applying to? All trusts have different fitness test requirements, so it's impossible to advise without more information.
Hi ya I have been selected for Yorkshire and the Humber area thanks for answering me.
Dav3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Georgie53)
Hi ya I have been selected for Yorkshire and the Humber area thanks for answering me.
Hi Georgie, when is your interview? I also have an interview for a ECA in the same area. My interview is Saturday 30th in wakefield.
Georgie53
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Davina3)
Hi Georgie, when is your interview? I also have an interview for a ECA in the same area. My interview is Saturday 30th in wakefield.
Hi ya I am waiting for a date to be sent to me I have only got as far as application form being shortlisted. Good luck on your interview 😜
Dav3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes I got short listed Monday and then got an interview date Thursday. Do you have a C1 on your driving licence?
Georgie53
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Davina3)
Yes I got short listed Monday and then got an interview date Thursday. Do you have a C1 on your driving licence?
Yes I do.
Georgie53
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had an email last Friday and it said I need to wait for a date for tests, I have no proof of English or maths so I have to sit a test first.
Dav3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is that before you get an interview date? Good luck😀
Georgie53
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think so just have to wait😳
Jodiekemp21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello. I am also attending at Wakefield on 30th do you know what it will be like? Will it be a group excercise or an interview process??
Skywalker35
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi. How was your interview, what did it consist of and did you get accepted? Well done if so.I am due one soon with YAS and just after some pointers if you have any, TIA
Shelleym69
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I have my numeracy test in 2 weeks, how hard or easy is it
T08Y
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How was this for you? I have mine next week and trying to find any info I can! Thanks for any help in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (189)
43.65%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.32%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.62%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
21.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.62%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.77%

Watched Threads