Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    u know... those life prediction stuff relating to ur horoscope and element, etc... I personally dont quite believe in astrology but sometimes i think the comments about the horoscopes etc get me interested and start to believe a little...

if anyone has time, go to http://www.astrographix.com/astrology/

ReputationRep:
    no its a load of ******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    no its a load of ******
    ok thx for ur opinion - -

ReputationRep:
    does anyone think that you should believe in it? or do u think there is a value in following those characters? mayb it increases ur luck or sth? duno..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    ok thx for ur opinion - -
    why on earth would one ever believe it was true/accurate in terms of the method used for working it out? do they have a method even?

ReputationRep:
    why on earth would one ever believe it was true/accurate in terms of the method used for working it out? do they have a method even?
    dude, they do. then why is astrology classified as an art/science?

i am complete sceptic of it all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i am not sure but i do read my star sign every week, not sure if i believe them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    then why is astrology classified as an art/science?
    Well that's news to me

ReputationRep:
    i think if i follow the character they say about what i should be, i'll hav good luck. mayb try this if u want to see. lol

ReputationRep:
    i dont believe in all the star sign stuff cos if your gonna do it its got be done rite and you need to check u risin sign and star sign and do u take it from when u were born or the day of conception i prefer tarot and the 1 ching

ReputationRep:
    i think we should all believe in astrology... cuz... think of this world... there's got to be a creator... and some balances in personalities with ppl or else the society wont work etc... so it's like... if u dont follow it, the 'creator' might put bad luck on u and u die...hahaahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    dude, they do. then why is astrology classified as an art/science?
    hmm i think you are getting confused here, please dont tell me that you think that horoscope prediction is a science?

ReputationRep:
    depends what sort of astrology. both western and Indian astrologies involve a certain amount of mathematical knowledge- but indian astrology moreso (my grandmother did a course in it, she used to be a botany lecturer/headteacher but now does astrology for fun) plantary positions are of course directly linked to physics, hence the definition of astrology as a science. the art comes into it because the astrologers must then interpret what they think the effect of a certain planet in a particular house will be upon the individual. almost like reading a new language i guess.

i do believe in it, but, like my grandmother, i'm not one to leave it all down to the stars, and take no action myself. if it goes wrong its due to the interpretation of the chart by the astrologer, or the wrong chart! so far 95%of what my grandmother saw in our charts has come true. horoscopes that say *you will find a tall dark handsome man today* are a load of rubbish because no astrology can be that specific- its merely an interpretation and shouldn't be taken as gospel- for example u could meet a tall dark handsome man...for all you know he could kill you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    depends what sort of astrology. both western and Indian astrologies involve a certain amount of mathematical knowledge- but indian astrology moreso (my grandmother did a course in it, she used to be a botany lecturer/headteacher but now does astrology for fun) plantary positions are of course directly linked to physics, hence the definition of astrology as a science. the art comes into it because the astrologers must then interpret what they think the effect of a certain planet in a particular house will be upon the individual. almost like reading a new language i guess.

i do believe in it, but, like my grandmother, i'm not one to leave it all down to the stars, and take no action myself. if it goes wrong its due to the interpretation of the chart by the astrologer, or the wrong chart! so far 95%of what my grandmother saw in our charts has come true. horoscopes that say *you will find a tall dark handsome man today* are a load of rubbish because no astrology can be that specific- its merely an interpretation and shouldn't be taken as gospel- for example u could meet a tall dark handsome man...for all you know he could kill you....
    OMG, ok so why would the postion of the planets have any effect on our lives? they don't, its all a load of rubbish

ReputationRep:
    OMG, ok so why would the postion of the planets have any effect on our lives? they don't, its all a load of rubbish
    ok your obviously someone who wants facts so here goes
    the moon causes tides i dont know how but it does - thats a fact ok
    we are 40% water fact
    the moon can affect our body - fact proven by uni studies
    people with mental ilness get worse during a full moon - fact proven by studies
    this all proves that we are affected by the moon if this is the case could it not be possible that we are affected by other planets how this made sense and wasnt to patronisin

ReputationRep:
    I think when it comes to astrology people only hear what they want to hear....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel D)
    ok your obviously someone who wants facts so here goes
    the moon causes tides i dont know how but it does - thats a fact ok
    we are 40% water fact
    the moon can affect our body - fact proven by uni studies
    people with mental ilness get worse during a full moon - fact proven by studies
    this all proves that we are affected by the moon if this is the case could it not be possible that we are affected by other planets how this made sense and wasnt to patronisin
    Firstly, how are people able to measure this enought to predict on a certain day what its going to be like for you. Even if bodies in space were affecting us then humans have no idea how at all so the whole idea of preciction is flawed.

Secoundly people all over the world are going to be affected by different amounts by the pull of the moon so the whole idea of a horoscope is flawed on that level. In the fact the predictions aren't going to be accurate people even if they could measure the effect, which they can't.

Thirdly even if the varying postion of the moon was affecting water in our body, things like the amount you have drunk, the amount of exercise you had done, the weather outside(humidity) and your age are going to play a far larger role.

Fouthly how on earth would gravity affect your mood? It makes no scientific sense.

5thly the other planets are far to far away to affect anything even gravitationally.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thoroughly confused by astrology. It's completely preposterous that planetary positions at your time of birth could influence your character, yet the predictions my birth chart makes about me are too accurate to be coincidence. I want to say it's all rubbish, but I can't quite do it.

Remember a couple of important things. One, "star sign" horoscopes are NOT astrology. That's someone writing crap for magazines for money. In astrology, the sun is one of countless celestial bodies that affects you, and so even if you believe in astrology then it's still the case that you need to consider everything for its "predictions" to be accurate.

Two, it doesn't predict events. In the world as modelled by astrology, the choices we make still determine everything! What the planets do affect, according to astrology, is a kind of "emotional climate" that changes by day and is an influence (one of many) upon you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    I'm thoroughly confused by astrology. It's completely preposterous that planetary positions at your time of birth could influence your character, yet the predictions my birth chart makes about me are too accurate to be coincidence. I want to say it's all rubbish, but I can't quite do it.

Remember a couple of important things. One, "star sign" horoscopes are NOT astrology. That's someone writing crap for magazines for money. In astrology, the sun is one of countless celestial bodies that affects you, and so even if you believe in astrology then it's still the case that you need to consider everything for its "predictions" to be accurate.

Two, it doesn't predict events. In the world as modelled by astrology, the choices we make still determine everything! What the planets do affect, according to astrology, is a kind of "emotional climate" that changes by day and is an influence (one of many) upon you.
    ok at least you admit that there is no mechanism to make it work, what has been too accurate about it?

and in your last two paras you seem to be hinting at it being unimportant if its the choices we makes, and it just seems like more mumbo jumbo puedo science

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.