The Student Room Group

4 subjects at A2?

I am tempted to keep doing Biology, Economics, English Literature and History at A2 but I've been told it's a bad idea. Anyone on here done 4 and found it alright?

Scroll to see replies

I did 4 subjects at A2, and I would say that unless you're aiming for Oxbridge then it probably isn't worth it. It wasn't of any benefit to me to do 4 in the end, and I just gave myself more work. I did four because I got AACC at AS and both my Cs were messed up (damn you OCR) but my college was late on the ball in investigating it and nothing was done so I took both just to be safe.
If you thoroughly enjoy your subjects and will have the drive, willing to spend more hours in college (and out doing the additional work) compared to your friends, then go for it, but, as I said, I saw no benefit in doing 4.
Of course this is only my experience with it so I'd hear from a few more people before you make a decision.
Original post by InkedPage
I did 4 subjects at A2, and I would say that unless you're aiming for Oxbridge then it probably isn't worth it. It wasn't of any benefit to me to do 4 in the end, and I just gave myself more work. I did four because I got AACC at AS and both my Cs were messed up (damn you OCR) but my college was late on the ball in investigating it and nothing was done so I took both just to be safe.
If you thoroughly enjoy your subjects and will have the drive, willing to spend more hours in college (and out doing the additional work) compared to your friends, then go for it, but, as I said, I saw no benefit in doing 4.
Of course this is only my experience with it so I'd hear from a few more people before you make a decision.

I agree with this. And OCR is the worst exam board ever:frown:

I got AACC too! I wanted to resit f211 even though I'm dropping it then I thought I might as well do it so the resit isn't in vain. I think I'm definitely motivated enough to do 4.
What did you get in the end if you don't mind my asking?
Original post by priscillaalao
I got AACC too! I wanted to resit f211 even though I'm dropping it then I thought I might as well do it so the resit isn't in vain. I think I'm definitely motivated enough to do 4.

I ended up getting A*BCC, the B is being contested as I got over 90% at AS and was believed to have a secure A* after my coursework and am one raw mark off an A overall. However everyone at my college has had issues this year because of the poor management of the college. They were massively understaffed with the whole A level building being renovated so we had to have half our classes in the highschool next door and the rest in vocational classrooms etc, and I ended up without an English teacher for 3 months, another teacher (my RS teacher) has had several complaints lodged against him but his family is on the board of governors so he's untouchable (I taught myself two out of the 4 topics and got As in both those exams and Ds in the ones I simply did not have time to teach myself to it equalled out to a B...I think that speaks volumes and no one got an A in the class overall the best was a C). A lot of how well you do depends on your college, unfortunately for me and many others, my college just went completely downhill this year.
I am tempted to keep doing Biology, Economics, English Literature and History at A2 but I've been told it's a bad idea. Anyone on here done 4 and found it alright?

I haven't already done four but I'm planning to, ensuring I get the encouragement to do so by my teachers. I've also been warned a lot by people who say it's a bad idea but I'm very motivated and don't have any other major commitments. The main reason I'm continuing with 4 is because I enjoy all of them ^_^
I wouldn't because of the workload. At my college they don't allow you to take 4 subjects unless you achieved A's in every single one, are predicted incredibly high for A2 and teachers know if you are good at independent work (VERY GOOD AT IT).

As others said don't do it unless you are aiming for a high uni, you may probably get less in your exams than you would've if you just took 3.

I just reread what you wrote and I would strongly advise against doing 4 A2 if you're planning on doing a resit on top of it. I didn't do any resits, if I had I would not have done the 4 A2. Don't take the extra A2 just to make a resit worth it. If you want to drop it, there's a reason for that and you'll likely end up hating the subject because of the extra workload it's given you.
Absolutely no point unless you are going for oxbridge and even then you still don't need it. Unless you can honestly say you would definitely get 4A*'s if you took 4 subjects then there is not point as it means the fourth subject will likely either be dragging you other grades down (e.g. A*ABB could have been A*AA or higher) or simply wasting you time and effort on the fourth subject(e.g. A*A*A*B or A*A*AB) in which case you should have taken 3, maximised those grades and just generally made your life a lot easier. Taking four subjects because you don't know what to drop or because you like all of them is likely to only create more risk and more severe worst case scenarios with the potential benefit of having the fourth A level being equivalent to pretty much nothing.
(edited 8 years ago)

I did 4 A2 subjects sociology psychology English lit/lang and RS (also did critical thinking to AS for what its worth).

Didn't know which to drop after AS as I liked them all so carried the 4 main subjects to A2.

Saw it as an insurance policy for uni offers - allowed for failure in one subject - thankfully didn't need it though.

If you like the subjects and want to do them then I say go for it!
Original post by OrionMusicNet
Absolutely no point unless you are going for oxbridge and even then you still don't need it. Unless you can honestly say you would definitely get 4A*'s if you took 4 subjects then there is not point as it means the fourth subject will likely either be dragging you other grades down (e.g. A*ABB could have been A*AA or higher) or simply wasting you time and effort on the fourth subject(e.g. A*A*A*B or A*A*AB) in which case you should have taken 3, maximised those grades and just generally made your life a lot easier. Taking four subjects because you don't know what to drop or because you like all of them is likely to only create more risk and more severe worst case scenarios with the potential benefit of having the fourth A level being equivalent to pretty much nothing.

Yeah you're probably right actually
I just reread what you wrote and I would strongly advise against doing 4 A2 if you're planning on doing a resit on top of it. I didn't do any resits, if I had I would not have done the 4 A2. Don't take the extra A2 just to make a resit worth it. If you want to drop it, there's a reason for that and you'll likely end up hating the subject because of the extra workload it's given you.

The workload won't be too crazy because I already know the theory but I get what you mean
I ended up getting A*BCC, the B is being contested as I got over 90% at AS and was believed to have a secure A* after my coursework and am one raw mark off an A overall. However everyone at my college has had issues this year because of the poor management of the college. They were massively understaffed with the whole A level building being renovated so we had to have half our classes in the highschool next door and the rest in vocational classrooms etc, and I ended up without an English teacher for 3 months, another teacher (my RS teacher) has had several complaints lodged against him but his family is on the board of governors so he's untouchable (I taught myself two out of the 4 topics and got As in both those exams and Ds in the ones I simply did not have time to teach myself to it equalled out to a B...I think that speaks volumes and no one got an A in the class overall the best was a C). A lot of how well you do depends on your college, unfortunately for me and many others, my college just went completely downhill this year.

A*BCC is still amazing considering how tragic your college was!
Reply 13
I did 4 A2s in Maths, Economics, Biology and History.

It is a really good thing for one main reason; if you completely mess up one exam (it happens) you can still get your university offer as it will most likely only be a 3 subject offer.

I got A*A*A*A btw.
(edited 8 years ago)
The workload won't be too crazy because I already know the theory but I get what you mean

I meant the general workload of having 4 instead of 3, but from what other people who are doing resits have said you'll want to go into AS classes every so often (especially in areas you're not as confident) if your schedule allows it and read along with the subject at the same pace as the previous year so you're not waiting until a month before the exam to revise and remember everything from about a year ago. It's an ongoing thing through the year if you're resitting in many cases.
Original post by KIDO123
I did 4 A2s in Maths, Economics, Biology and History.

It is a really good thing for one main reason; if you completely mess up one exam (it happens) you can still get your university offer as it will most likely only be a 3 subject offer.

I got A*A*A*A. The workload was a ton but if I had messed up an exam and got A*AAB for example, I would have got my A*AA offer. If I did 3 A-levels and messed up...gap year.

That is literally incredible! I can defo see the benefits but I don't think your intellectual capabilities are the norm haha. i
I meant the general workload of having 4 instead of 3, but from what other people who are doing resits have said you'll want to go into AS classes every so often (especially in areas you're not as confident) if your schedule allows it and read along with the subject at the same pace as the previous year so you're not waiting until a month before the exam to revise and remember everything from about a year ago. It's an ongoing thing through the year if you're resitting in many cases.

Changes in the spec mean there won't be any AS classes which puts me in an even worse situation haha
I might skip the resit and crack on with the A2 modules then.
Reply 17
That is literally incredible! I can defo see the benefits but I don't think your intellectual capabilities are the norm haha. i

It is a lot of hard work to do 4 A-levels (I also had to do 1 resit). But it is 100% worth it in my opinion. If you revise hard from November -> June you will do well in your A-levels.
Original post by KIDO123
It is a lot of hard work to do 4 A-levels (I also had to do 1 resit). But it is 100% worth it in my opinion. If you revise hard from November -> June you will do well in your A-levels.

I'll see what level I'm working at before I decide to register for the exams; thanks for the advice!
I did 4 A levels and whilst I definitely found it a step up from A2, it's by no means unmanageable- in fact, I feel that had I been more organised and stopped procrastinating (Youtube...) I could have managed 5. As long as you are organised it's ok. However, I would look into the % coursework: exams in your subjects: this year has been incredibly stressful at the start due to having 6 coursework essays in progress leading up to Christmas and beyond, which whilst taking the pressure off exams definitely drained me for the exam season,

Quick Reply

Latest