The Student Room Group

A*A*A - Is it worth applying to other unis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zozoeeee
I got 4 A*'s GOML

Well done :smile:
Original post by ageshallnot
That wouldn't bode well for Cambridge and, as you say, your GCSEs would hurt your Oxford prospects.

Not to worry, I had already almost entirely written them off as out of my league! :tongue: What would your view be for LSE? I'm aware that they look at GCSE's and am worried that since my subjects are so based around English it would not work in my favour.. :s-smilie:
Original post by Piledriver
Not to worry, I had already almost entirely written them off as out of my league! :tongue: What would your view be for LSE? I'm aware that they look at GCSE's and am worried that since my subjects are so based around English it would not work in my favour.. :s-smilie:

What course?
For almost all economics courses you'll need maths (if not further maths)
What course?

Government, potentially government and history or government with social policy
Government, potentially government and history or government with social policy

Well you clearly have more than their minimum requirements, though they would probably prefer more social sciences. However, it's only one of five choices. And given your A*A*A, you will get offers from very good universities - including should you apply there again.
Reply 26
So, in my A levels I did better than expected achieving A*A*A when I was predicted AAA. Because I only got AAD in my AS levels I decided not to apply for LSE after my schools advisor told me it was very unlikely I would get in. It's also worth mentioning here that my GCSE results are fairly average (1A*, 3A, 5B, 1C)

I have a place to begin studying Political Economy and KCL in 2016 and I'm worrying that by declining this offer and reapplying I would be putting my place at risk. The fact that I don't have a very wide array of subjects - English Literature, Politics and English Language - makes me think that even if If I were to go through UCAS again there's no guarantee that I'd be successful (though I am planning to do a distance learning A level in Economics over the next 12 months)

Is it worthwhile or should I just be content with KCL? :confused:

If you want to apply to a better university and don't want to risk your place this year, on result's day call up the university you want to go to, tell them you have an unconditional offer from KCL. Tell them you will reject the place and offer at KCL. They should email you giving you a place, but then after they do, you will have to call KCL and ask them to release you before you can accept your new university.
Same position here - have an AAA offer for Anthropology at Durham however have been unsure on course for quite a long time.

I got A*A*A in my A Levels with high grades at A2 (99% EngLit A2, 95% History A2, 85% Spanish A2). My overall A Level averages are lower at 92%, 88% and 84%.

I think I want to reapply for a more challenging/engaging course with direct links to my intended career path (business/consultancy) and also have more time to consider my options. Reassuring to know I'm not the only one! Out of interest, does anyone know if these grades are good enough for Oxbridge?
Reply 28
That wouldn't bode well for Cambridge and, as you say, your GCSEs would hurt your Oxford prospects.

With regards to your GCSE results, you still achieved A's and an A* - they weren't awful! Which subjects were your A's and A*'s in?
Original post by emilys7
With regards to your GCSE results, you still achieved A's and an A* - they weren't awful! Which subjects were your A's and A*'s in?

Meant for someone else?
Reply 30
Sorry! yes it was :biggrin:
Original post by emilys7

Just realised I have another A* - Music and Music Technology the A's are in English Literature and Language :smile:
Original post by scavi2008
Same position here - have an AAA offer for Anthropology at Durham however have been unsure on course for quite a long time.

I got A*A*A in my A Levels with high grades at A2 (99% EngLit A2, 95% History A2, 85% Spanish A2). My overall A Level averages are lower at 92%, 88% and 84%.

I think I want to reapply for a more challenging/engaging course with direct links to my intended career path (business/consultancy) and also have more time to consider my options. Reassuring to know I'm not the only one! Out of interest, does anyone know if these grades are good enough for Oxbridge?

Firstly, well done on your results! I think it would be a wasted opportunity for you not to at least give oxbridge a go - even if it's just out of curiosity. Obviously it will depend on your GCSE profile but it sounds like you're in a strong position, don't be left forever wondering 'what if' :smile: Worst case scenario you end up at Durham, which is hardly a bad situation to be in!
Firstly, well done on your results! I think it would be a wasted opportunity for you not to at least give oxbridge a go - even if it's just out of curiosity. Obviously it will depend on your GCSE profile but it sounds like you're in a strong position, don't be left forever wondering 'what if' :smile: Worst case scenario you end up at Durham, which is hardly a bad situation to be in!

Thank you very much! Yeah, it's all a bit scary but I think you're right, I might as well go for it or I'll never know :smile:
Reply 34
Just realised I have another A* - Music and Music Technology the A's are in English Literature and Language :smile:

As your A/A* GCSE's are in the subjects you took and they relate to what you want to do, then I don't think Oxford would be a problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending