Is it still possible to get A grades with BBC AS-levels?

Watch
rachelthehuman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So for my results I got BBCD (I will drop the subject I got a D in). I am quite disappointed as I was hoping for AAB to go into A2 with. So, my question is: can I still achieve As next year with these AS grades:
English language: B (166 UMS)
English literature: C (124 UMS)
History: B (152 UMS)

I also want to know if it would be worth resitting my English lit exam next year. My coursework for it was an A but the exam was a D (same story in language except I got a B in that exam) :/ I want to do English at uni so to have As in both would really boost my chances

Posted from TSR Mobile
em54321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think so, I've just finished A2 with A* A B coming from ABB at AS level without resitting anything so I think you can move up grades in A2 especially if you resit its really up to you. Just make sure you have an insurance choice for uni in case you don't quite make all A grades if you need them for your firm. Good luck
Elisha Rebekah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rachelthehuman)
So for my results I got BBCD (I will drop the subject I got a D in). I am quite disappointed as I was hoping for AAB to go into A2 with. So, my question is: can I still achieve As next year with these AS grades:

I also want to know if it would be worth resitting my English lit exam next year. My coursework for it was an A but the exam was a D (same story in language except I got a B in that exam) :/ I want to do English at uni so to have As in both would really boost my chances
Hi! Firstly, well done on some solid A level grades. You did really well to get a B in History and a C in English Lit, given the amount of people who have had complaints with their results in these subjects!

In order to achieve an A at A2, you must score a minimum of 320 ums across the whole A level. With English Language, it seems you will be in a sound position to achieve an A overall, as you will only need to score 154 ums in the second year to secure it. Also, if you do as well in the A2 coursework as you did in the AS coursework, it will put a lot less pressure on you in the exam. You are in a similar position in History; you are clearly an Englishy person and I think A2 History is actually easier for people like us as there are proper 45 mark essays- as opposed to the futile 12/24 markers at AS- plus coursework, which you will clearly excel at. With English Literature though, it is definitely worth doing a resit to bring your grade up overall; it would be silly not to what with how well you did in the coursework!

I got ABB at AS and I adopted a similar action plan for A2: I banked my English grade (A), resat one History exam (B) as I wanted to study it at university and tried really hard to bring my RS grade (B) up by just learning A2 really well. I ended up with A*AA, so it can be done! Best of luck to you
rachelthehuman
Rep:
?
(Original post by em54321)
I think so, I've just finished A2 with A* A B coming from ABB at AS level without resitting anything so I think you can move up grades in A2 especially if you resit its really up to you. Just make sure you have an insurance choice for uni in case you don't quite make all A grades if you need them for your firm. Good luck
I'm not too fussed about the more prestigious unis and lot of the ones I'm looking at only need 3 Bs, it's more a case of wanting to keep my options wide open in case I change my mind at any point in the year (although Liverpool looks great and do require As)

Posted from TSR Mobile
rachelthehuman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elisha Rebekah)
Hi! Firstly, well done on some solid A level grades. You did really well to get a B in History and a C in English Lit, given the amount of people who have had complaints with their results in these subjects!

In order to achieve an A at A2, you must score a minimum of 320 ums across the whole A level. With English Language, it seems you will be in a sound position to achieve an A overall, as you will only need to score 154 ums in the second year to secure it. Also, if you do as well in the A2 coursework as you did in the AS coursework, it will put a lot less pressure on you in the exam. You are in a similar position in History; you are clearly an Englishy person and I think A2 History is actually easier for people like us as there are proper 45 mark essays- as opposed to the futile 12/24 markers at AS- plus coursework, which you will clearly excel at. With English Literature though, it is definitely worth doing a resit to bring your grade up overall; it would be silly not to what with how well you did in the coursework!

I got ABB at AS and I adopted a similar action plan for A2: I banked my English grade (A), resat one History exam (B) as I wanted to study it at university and tried really hard to bring my RS grade (B) up by just learning A2 really well. I ended up with A*AA, so it can be done! Best of luck to you
Thank you so much for the reply, it was very helpful! Also, congrats on those grades, they are amazing!! Are you going to uni this year?

I didn't realise there had been issues with those exams (the day after I got my results I went up to Liverpool for the weekend and didn't have and Internet so haven't really been following exam stuff).

That is very comforting, when I opened my results I thought hope was lost. With the history grade, I got an A in one exam but a C in the other (which was only one UMS mark of a B). I was considering a remark but didn't think that it would be worth it seeing as it is only one mark and it may not even go up.

As for Lit, that's exactly what I thought. I was so proud of my coursework so for the exam to let it down that much was pretty devastating to me. Did you find that resitting a paper added a lot of pressure at the end of the year or was it relatively okay? I guess I am just concerned that I may be compromising my other exams if I resit.

I must say, I am getting quite nervous about the amount of coursework I have to do this year, I struggled enough with just 4 pieces last year, let alone 6 this year! Do you happen to have any tips on organising time for coursework? I never was good with time management :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elisha Rebekah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much for the reply, it was very helpful! Also, congrats on those grades, they are amazing!! Are you going to uni this year?

I didn't realise there had been issues with those exams (the day after I got my results I went up to Liverpool for the weekend and didn't have and Internet so haven't really been following exam stuff).

That is very comforting, when I opened my results I thought hope was lost. With the history grade, I got an A in one exam but a C in the other (which was only one UMS mark of a B). I was considering a remark but didn't think that it would be worth it seeing as it is only one mark and it may not even go up.

As for Lit, that's exactly what I thought. I was so proud of my coursework so for the exam to let it down that much was pretty devastating to me. Did you find that resitting a paper added a lot of pressure at the end of the year or was it relatively okay? I guess I am just concerned that I may be compromising my other exams if I resit.

I must say, I am getting quite nervous about the amount of coursework I have to do this year, I struggled enough with just 4 pieces last year, let alone 6 this year! Do you happen to have any tips on organising time for coursework? I never was good with time management :P
Thank you! I've been accepted into my firm choice, The University of Warwick, to read History

Yeah, there has been quite a few problems with Lit! See here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3510341

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend a remark in History. I had one done last year and it didn't change at all, even though I was so close to the next grade. If the overall mark did change, it would probably only increase your grade in that unit anyway; your ums would be about the same and it is ums that matters come A2! Have a look at the English thread, though, and consider a remark in Lit if you, like lots of other students, feel you were marked unjustly in this subject!

Given I only had four A2 exams, I didn't feel too bogged down by doing the one resit. It helped that I enjoyed the topic I did at AS, I guess I redid all my notes for my resit, alongside making A2 notes, throughout the year and started revising them come March. My teacher also put on revision sessions on a Thursday dinnertime which helped keep the content fresh in my mind. I would advise doing a similar thing for your resit, that way you can keep going over it but not to the detriment of your A2 subjects.

Wow- six pieces of coursework :eek: On the plus side, only 3 exams I'm guessing? I had two lots of coursework to do this year: History- 3000 word essay and 500 word critical evaluation and English Language and Literature- two text transformations and two associated commentaries. I'd recommend just getting a head start on your coursework- starting in the six weeks- and getting as much teacher support, in the lieu of marked partial drafts, as possible! Deal with time management by dedicating the same amount of time to each subject, a little more perhaps for the subject you find most challenging. You smashed coursework at AS, evidently, and you will do the same at A2!
rachelthehuman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elisha Rebekah)
Thank you! I've been accepted into my firm choice, The University of Warwick, to read History

Yeah, there has been quite a few problems with Lit! See here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3510341

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend a remark in History. I had one done last year and it didn't change at all, even though I was so close to the next grade. If the overall mark did change, it would probably only increase your grade in that unit anyway; your ums would be about the same and it is ums that matters come A2! Have a look at the English thread, though, and consider a remark in Lit if you, like lots of other students, feel you were marked unjustly in this subject!

Given I only had four A2 exams, I didn't feel too bogged down by doing the one resit. It helped that I enjoyed the topic I did at AS, I guess I redid all my notes for my resit, alongside making A2 notes, throughout the year and started revising them come March. My teacher also put on revision sessions on a Thursday dinnertime which helped keep the content fresh in my mind. I would advise doing a similar thing for your resit, that way you can keep going over it but not to the detriment of your A2 subjects.

Wow- six pieces of coursework :eek: On the plus side, only 3 exams I'm guessing? I had two lots of coursework to do this year: History- 3000 word essay and 500 word critical evaluation and English Language and Literature- two text transformations and two associated commentaries. I'd recommend just getting a head start on your coursework- starting in the six weeks- and getting as much teacher support, in the lieu of marked partial drafts, as possible! Deal with time management by dedicating the same amount of time to each subject, a little more perhaps for the subject you find most challenging. You smashed coursework at AS, evidently, and you will do the same at A2!
That sounds amazing! I've been to Warwick and the campus was so lovely!

Looking at that thread, it does make me consider a remark for my lit paper. I know I didn't do great, but I thought it deserved more than a D! I will probably have to talk to my teacher about it to discuss benefits of a remarks versus a resit. As for history, I am surprised to get a C in the sources exam as I thought I did better in it than in the essay exam (which I got an A in) and I suppose I just wasn't entirely sure that it was right, but then again chances are it really was just not that great :P

Yeah, although I guess I can condense English Lang into one as it is a language investigation and a media report on it, then lit I have a comparative essay and an essay based on critical theories, then for history I have to bug essays on the Russian revolutions. I have started somewhat on the English ones, and my teachers will probably be sick of me asking about coursework by Easter next year :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
dancinginlimbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you identify the reasons why you didn't get what you wanted this time, work hard and change that for next time then you can yeah. I got ABBC at AS, the A in History, B in English Lit, B in Maths and C in Classics. I dropped Maths because I knew I'd just messed up Classics and was more likely to get an A in it overall in it than in Mathh. I got A*AA in the end, but it does take work and it is stressful trying to do well and change things around, and I think I benefited from having a relatively easy offer to meet at BBB. But it's definitely possible. I think the positive thing about subjects like History and English is that a simple change of technique can make all the difference and it did for me, as opposed to something like Maths where it's difficult to just become better at the exams.
snikutsmullac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got BBCU at AS, and last week I got A*AB at A2. It is entirely possible. It will depend on a lot of hard work and a few AS re-sits on your part, but if you put in the effort you can most certainly do it. A2 I found to be easier than AS, because it builds upon and re-inforces what you learn in the first year. It will make your re-sits seem very easy. You can do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads