Will I be wasting one of my 5 choices on Cambridge

Watch this thread
VokeA
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Got my AS results. I took Bio, Maths, Spanish and Chem and thankfully got 3 As and a B in Chemistry.... But I want to do Chemical Engineering at a top uni, so I'm dropping Spanish.

As it stands my predicted grades will be A*AB in Bio, Maths and Chem. Because of this I've decided to resit all 3 AS modules for chem alongside A2 and C2; in order to convince my school to give me A*A*A as a prediction and so I can get the grades obvs.

So finally my question - is it worth me applying for Cambridge

Thanks for taking the time to read and all respnses will be appreciated
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VokeA)
Got my AS results. I took Bio, Maths, Spanish and Chem and thankfully got 3 As and a B in Chemistry.... But I want to do Chemical Engineering at a top uni, so I'm dropping Spanish.

As it stands my predicted grades will be A*AB in Bio, Maths and Chem. Because of that ive decided to resit all 3 AS modules for chem alongside A2 and C2; in order to convince my school to give me A*A*A as a prediction and so I can get the grades obvs.

So finally my question - is it worth me applying for Cambridge

Thanks for taking the time to read and all respnses will be appreciated
The problem isn't as much the fact that you got AAAB and more that the B is in Chemistry... which obviously doesn't look great, given that you're applying for Chemical Engineering. Unless there are some serious extenuating circumstances here, you're probably not going to get into Cambridge for 2016 entry. You can still give it a go, your results are still very good and you should have a great shot at most universities in the UK so I wouldn't have thought you'd be losing a lot by having Cambridge as an option but yeah, it's not likely. Alternatively you could apply post-A2 once you've retaken your AS subjects and you'd have a much higher chance if you managed to get A*A*A or better at A2. That would require you to defer by a year though so unless you're particularly keen on a gap year, this probably isn't the best idea.
VokeA
Rep:
@Plagioclase yeah that's what I was thinking too. And definitely want to go to uni in 2016 so a gap year really isn't a likely alternative. Thanks for answering though. Do you think I'll have better chances with Imperial cos I'm trying to decide between the two as to which I should choose as my high-risk choice..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plagioclase
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VokeA)
@Plagioclase yeah that's what I was thinking too. And definitely want to go to uni in 2016 so a gap year really isn't a likely alternative. Thanks for answering though. Do you think I'll have better chances with Imperial cos I'm trying to decide between the two as to which I should choose as my high-risk choice..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't apply for Chemical Engineering so I'm not an expert on this but Imperial's probably the one other university I'd be concerned about, because they're infamous for giving out horrific offers (higher than Cambridge) for Chemical Engineering since it's one of their top courses. You might be better off asking in the Imperial College forum of this website though, they might be able to give you a better answer.
VokeA
Rep:
(Original post by Plagioclase;[url="tel:58604201")
58604201[/url]]I didn't apply for Chemical Engineering so I'm not an expert on this but Imperial's probably the one other university I'd be concerned about, because they're infamous for giving out horrific offers (higher than Cambridge) for Chemical Engineering since it's one of their top courses. You might be better off asking in the Imperial College forum of this website though, they might be able to give you a better answer.
That sounds like a good idea. I'm new to this so thanks
username1042689
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My advice:
-Apply to a bunch of different (but still really good) universities this year. You have a good chance of getting into pretty much anywhere, with the possible exception of Imperial, but a B in chem will hinder your chances of getting into Cambridge. How's your UMS this year? That's also a factor.
-If you get fantastic grades, reapply to Cambridge in a gap year.
VokeA
Rep:
-Apply to a bunch of different (but still really good) universities this year. You have a good chance of getting into pretty much anywhere, with the possible exception of Imperial, but a B in chem will hinder your chances of getting into Cambridge. How's your UMS this year? That's also a factor.
-If you get fantastic grades, reapply to Cambridge in a gap year.[/QUOTE]

My UMS was good overall but not the best:

Biology - 273/300 so A(*)
Maths - 265/300 so 5 away from A(*) cos of C2 where I got 83
Chemistry - 214 so poor, I just got the B basically
Spanish - 167/200 so an A
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (31)
18.67%
The paper was reasonable (68)
40.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (32)
19.28%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
21.08%

Watched Threads