The Student Room Group

Uni problem - what can I do?

Hi I applied to University last year but during the course I fell ill and had to take a gap year. I told the University mitigation as soon as possible of my illness, but they put my down as referral at the final grade. At the moment the message they sent says that if I do not complete the referral it will effect my progress but it says nothing about anyone being exited from the uni if they cannot complete the assignment.This is my case as I am no position to complete the assignment because I did not attend many of the lectures and am behind. I do not want to have to redo my personal statement and resend my application to other Universities again.So they are basically treating me like someone who did not tell the University of my illness. I even provided proof but I spoke to the faculty and they are saying that there is nothing on the system saying that I provided them proof of my illness. I am waiting to here back from the adjudication. They told me to send them proof that I contacted the mitigation by the 13th but they have not sent me a reply since then. I am really hoping they do not exit me from the Uni this is my first choice and I am familiar with the area. What are they likely to do, are they going to exit me.I have applied to student finance and it has me down as doing the course at the chosen uni but the Uni itself may be thinking of exiting me from the course and uni. I cannot reapply directing to on the university website as that feature is on for postgraduates.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Vectorplate
Hi I applied to University last year but during the course I fell ill and had to take a gap year. I told the University mitigation as soon as possible of my illness, but they put my down as referral at the final grade. At the moment the message they sent says that if I do not complete the referral it will effect my progress but it says nothing about anyone being exited from the uni if they cannot complete the assignment.This is my case as I am no position to complete the assignment because I did not attend many of the lectures and am behind. I do not want to have to redo my personal statement and resend my application to other Universities again.So they are basically treating me like someone who did not tell the University of my illness. I even provided proof but I spoke to the faculty and they are saying that there is nothing on the system saying that I provided them proof of my illness. I am waiting to here back from the adjudication. They told me to send them proof that I contacted the mitigation by the 13th but they have not sent me a reply since then. I am really hoping they do not exit me from the Uni this is my first choice and I am familiar with the area. What are they likely to do, are they going to exit me.I have applied to student finance and it has me down as doing the course at the chosen uni but the Uni itself may be thinking of exiting me from the course and uni. I cannot reapply directing to on the university website as that feature is on for postgraduates.
I have moved your post out of the thread you'd placed it in as your problem is very different.

If I have understood you correctly, you started a uni course last year, and there is a difference of opinion between you and the university as to whether you have followed proper procedures in notifying them of your illness and negotiating a break. As a result you now face being asked to leave the uni because you have not completed the necessary assignments and therefore cannot pass the year.

If this is correct, you need to concentrate on sorting out your problems with your current uni, and forget about applying elsewhere. If a uni asks you to leave they won't accept you for any other course there, either.

The best thing to do now is to approach the Students' Union for advice and support. There will be procedures which the uni has to follow, but so do you, so you need backup from people who know what they are doing. Don't delay, get in touch with them straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending