Which subject should I drop?

Watch this thread
jwyl
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For AS I got a D in chemistry and an A in Psychology, chemistry would give me more options on choosing a degree I want to do (e.g. biomed/medicine) but that's more difficult, i find psychology easier but that won't allow me to do what i want at uni even if it'll be 'easier' for me to get a higher grade than in chemistry.
Emad1993
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jwyl)
For AS I got a D in chemistry and an A in Psychology, chemistry would give me more options on choosing a degree I want to do (e.g. biomed/medicine) but that's more difficult, i find psychology easier but that won't allow me to do what i want at uni even if it'll be 'easier' for me to get a higher grade than in chemistry.
what other subjects have you taken?
jwyl
Rep:
(Original post by Emad1993)
what other subjects have you taken?
I also do geography (A) and biology (B)
Azarashi
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jwyl)
What about your other subjects? What are they and how did you do?
edit: Never mind, missed the second post ^^"

If you would like a career in medicine or something similar, Chemistry will be of vital importance
Zahid~
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If you want to do a degree that asks for chemistry specifically (if biomed says you HAVE to do chem) then do chem. (no real choice is there unless you want to consider other courses)
If the course doesnt ask for chem, then dont do chem. Make your liefe easier not harder, most of the time its the grade that matters, not the subject its in,.
CHECK the course in a few unis to MAKE SURE you dont need or need chem.
Eiji97
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I know it might be hard but have you thought about any other jobs that you might like or a similar job that's more related to biology maybe?
Hollyht
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Would you consider resitting chemistry units next year because apparently A2 is very similar but more detailed so you would probably do better at AS after doing A2 so if you would consider resitting AS I'd keep chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emad1993
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jwyl)
I also do geography (A) and biology (B)
maybe drop geography
jwyl
Rep:
(Original post by Hollyht)
Would you consider resitting chemistry units next year because apparently A2 is very similar but more detailed so you would probably do better at AS after doing A2 so if you would consider resitting AS I'd keep chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was gonna resit AS chem next year but at my college we can only do 4 subjects if we got at least BBBB in all 4, so my dilemma is do i stick with the 3 (biology, geog, psych) which would be the 'safer' options or try and negotiate with my tutors to let me do 4 or drop psych but then risk rejections bc of lower predicted grades with chem.... sorry i'm really indecisive haha
username1514999
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's not likely that you'll get an offer for med school with a D in AS Chem anyway, even if you're predicted an A* by resitting AS and doing A2 next year- it's just too competitive If I were you I would definitely do Biology, Geography and Psychology!
Eiji97
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I just remembered, I'm quite sure AS exams are getting scrapped next year, not 100% sure if that's for all exam boards though. I just wouldn't drop a subject when you've got an A in it and Chemistry builds on your AS knowledge which is going to be hard if you got a D at AS level
username1514999
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They're not being scrapped... The reforms next year are for all exam boards, but not all subjects. They're definitely for Psychology, Sciences, English, Art, all Languages and Business.

Anyways there are AS'. But they only count as a stand alone qualification, not 50% of an A-Level, meaning that in affect A Level exams are going to be the equivalent of taking all your A2 exams AND retaking your AS' at the end of the second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1514999
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(The AS Level only counts as a qualification if you drop it then. If you carry on with the subject it doesn't mean anything at all- similar to mocks. They just contribute towards your predicted grade.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (138)
29.81%
It went fairly well (221)
47.73%
It didn't go too well (66)
14.25%
TERRIBLE! (38)
8.21%

Watched Threads