The Student Room Group

Access 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Wow, I wasn't sure anyone would reply to this thread but there are loads of us! Good to know :biggrin:

I've just begun my distance learning Access to Health (Biology, Health & Psychology units). I did gain a place on a course at college but things have worked out differently, meaning the distance learning is a better option.

Also, kudos to the person who posted the Bob & Vic picture up there, because it gave me a chuckle.
(edited 8 years ago)
How is everyone getting on that has started this week?x
Original post by dawnwilson
How is everyone getting on that has started this week?x

Hello, Access to Science student here.

The week has gotten off to a great start.
Not started the course yet, but we had inductions this week.

The tutor is lovely and the online resources available via the student portal are a blessing. It's enriched with detailed syllabi, online library visible for looking at textbooks etc..

If you haven't already, research the degree you plan to study after the Access, call various universities seeing if you comply with their entry requirements. VISIT OPEN DAYS. Being a one-year course, UCAS applications will start pretty soonish for 2016/17 entry. I've found that having a clear vision of your path, knowing which extra units you are better off selecting, deciding relevant work experience you could squeeze in alongside the course (I wouldn't recommend too many hours, to free up study-time) helps set goals.

The sky is your limit folks : )

P.s: Anybody else studying the Access to Science? If so, what's subjects does your course consist of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeDentist
P.s: Anybody else studying the Access to Science? If so, what's subjects does your course consist of?

Yep, Access to Science here too, but my course doesn't start until the 23rd. I'll make sure to report back once I know more.
What are you hoping to study at university (dentistry?)? I'm planning on Neuroscience or Neuroscience and Cognitive Science.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Yep, Access to Science here too, but my course doesn't start until the 23rd. I'll make sure to report back once I know more.
What are you hoping to study at university (dentistry?)? I'm planning on Neuroscience or Neuroscience and Cognitive Science.

Neuroscience, is a good choice. A career you'll never get bored of!
Yes, I plan to study Dentistry or Optometry. Leaning more towards the Optometry side however.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Hello, Access to Science student here.

The week has gotten off to a great start.
Not started the course yet, but we had inductions this week.

The tutor is lovely and the online resources available via the student portal are a blessing. It's enriched with detailed syllabi, online library visible for looking at textbooks etc..

If you haven't already, research the degree you plan to study after the Access, call various universities seeing if you comply with their entry requirements. VISIT OPEN DAYS. Being a one-year course, UCAS applications will start pretty soonish for 2016/17 entry. I've found that having a clear vision of your path, knowing which extra units you are better off selecting, deciding relevant work experience you could squeeze in alongside the course (I wouldn't recommend too many hours, to free up study-time) helps set goals.

The sky is your limit folks : )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Universities accept Access to Science courses for entry to Dentistry?

I'm 99% sure that the majority of them are very specific about Access courses and will only make offers to people studying Access to Medicine.

Optometry is a great choice! I'm more than half way through my Access course as I started it in January, and Optometry was what I initially wanted to do before deciding that I'll go for Pharmacy instead.
I'm itching to get started! With seeing people already going through induction, the 14th couldn't come any quicker. This is a nice little thread, thank you to OP; Hopefully keep it going for a while.:colone:
I start next Tuesday....4pm-9pm access to health....adult nursing sept 2016 hopefully x
Original post by Kaeden
Universities accept Access to Science courses for entry to Dentistry?

I'm 99% sure that the majority of them are very specific about Access courses and will only make offers to people studying Access to Medicine.

Optometry is a great choice! I'm more than half way through my Access course as I started it in January, and Optometry was what I initially wanted to do before deciding that I'll go for Pharmacy instead.

Hey Kaeden,
Before I dive into anything I do my research thoroughly and..
University of Manchester, University of Cardiff, University of Sheffield and University of Liverpool all accept Access to Science to enter Dentistry.

Which access course did you study and are you aiming for 2016 entry?

Pharmacy sounds pretty neat, but I get bored easily and the thought of being caved in a lab testing samples scares me haha, I decided I'll be best in clinical position offering services to he public. What made you sway away from choosing Optometry, may I ask?

Wishing you all the best, do update us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Hey Kaeden,
Before I dive into anything I do my research thoroughly and..
University of Manchester, University of Cardiff, University of Sheffield and University of Liverpool all accept Access to Science to enter Dentistry.

Which access course did you study and are you aiming for 2016 entry?

Pharmacy sounds pretty neat, but I get bored easily and the thought of being caved in a lab testing samples scares me haha, I decided I'll be best in clinical position offering services to he public. What made you sway away from choosing Optometry, may I ask?

Wishing you all the best, do update us!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently making my way through an Access to Science course myself, covering Biology (15 credits), Chemistry (15 Credits), Physics (9 Credits), and Maths (6 Credits). My college offered a January start, so we're more than halfway through (24/45 graded credits achieved so far) with classes finishing up at the end of January 2016.

I think you might have confused Pharmacy with Pharmaceutical Science. A Pharmacy degree allows you to work as a Pharmacist, whether it be in community pharmacies, hospitals, or the prison sector. As for choosing Pharmacy over Optometry, it's because I find it much more interesting and there is a much broader range of jobs available for pharmacists. Plus, many say that Optometry is geared towards people who enjoy both physics and mathematics, while chemistry is such an important component of any Pharmacy degree and is my favourite subject.

Best of luck on your Access course! I've achieved 24 distinctions so far, so you'll definitely do well and get those D grades for Dentistry/Optometry as long as you're committed. :smile:
Hi all,
I will be starting my access to HE science course on Tuesday and hopefully go on to study Diagnostic radiography at uni 2016.
It will be a lot of hard work but at the end will be worth it.

Best wishes.

(p.s I am also starting a weight loss challenge to lose 100lb in 10 months wohoo THE SHRINKING STUDENT :smile:)
Original post by shrinkingstudent

(p.s I am also starting a weight loss challenge to lose 100lb in 10 months wohoo THE SHRINKING STUDENT :smile:)

10lbs a month is far too much. You will cause yourself serious problems if you aim for that.
10lbs a month is far too much. You will cause yourself serious problems if you aim for that.

I understand 10lb a month is a lot to aim for but I’m just trying to aim high.
I understand 10lb a month is a lot to aim for but I’m just trying to aim high.

Cool! Sorry, it's none of my business really. :tongue:
Cool! Sorry, it's none of my business really. :tongue:

No don’t worry, a little advice never hurt nobody. :biggrin:
Reply 75
Going to start an access to computing course next week, and hopefully will be going to somewhere like Reading or Surrey to do a computer science degree. Can't wait to get stuck in now...

9-4 Monday, 9-3 Tuesday and 9-2 Wednesday... Not bad at all.
Hi all,
I will be starting my access to HE science course on Tuesday and hopefully go on to study Diagnostic radiography at uni 2016.
It will be a lot of hard work but at the end will be worth it.

Best wishes.

I'm on a weight loss journey too 😊😊
In the past when I set targets to lose weight, I do in fact meet the targets by the set date (as I'm very determined) , however it's pretty hard to maintain after. See this as a long-term change of lifestyle, not a mission/challenge xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Welchy
Going to start an access to computing course next week, and hopefully will be going to somewhere like Reading or Surrey to do a computer science degree. Can't wait to get stuck in now...

9-4 Monday, 9-3 Tuesday and 9-2 Wednesday... Not bad at all.

I'm pretty sure Surrey doesn't consider access course diplomas for entry. I may be wrong but you might want to check.
Reply 78
Original post by Welchy
Going to start an access to computing course next week, and hopefully will be going to somewhere like Reading or Surrey to do a computer science degree. Can't wait to get stuck in now...9-4 Monday, 9-3 Tuesday and 9-2 Wednesday... Not bad at all.

I'm pretty sure Surrey doesn't consider access course diplomas for entry. I may be wrong but you might want to check.

Surrey require 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits for entry to their BSc Computer Science degree. I'm not sure about Arts/Humanities courses, but Surrey accept Access courses for most of their Science degrees e.g Biological Science, Biomedical Science, Chemistry, and Physics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kaeden
Surrey require 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits for entry to their BSc Computer Science degree. I'm not sure about Arts/Humanities courses, but Surrey accept Access courses for most of their Science degrees e.g Biological Science, Biomedical Science, Chemistry, and Physics.

You're right, I am 100% wrong about that! I could have sworn they didn't accept them the last time I checked. Oh well, good to know! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending