The Student Room Group

Psychology work experience????

Scroll to see replies

amywil
hi i have just finished my AS levels and really want to do some work experience this year before I start university to study psychology. Does anyone know anywhere I could try or look? I really would like to do something with downs children or people with disabilities but any psychology related work experience will do if you know anything?? Thank you x

www.do-it.org
What kind of Care Support Worker jobs have people got?

I want to do something on the weekends and possibly friday (if I'm free!) but everywhere I've looked so far require an NVQ qualification or you need a car to travel to people's home which I don't have. Does anyone have any recommendations of where I can look or what I can do?
Original post by louisedotcom
Im not sure where you are studying but my Mum is a prison officer at a Prison in London, and they regually offer work experience placements within their psychology department to students.

I applied for one last year and they replied telling me that they offer summer placements for students (basically over the summer holidays)
Or year long placements.

If this is something you would be interested in I strongly advise you contact your local prison as I would expect most of their policies to be the same :biggrin:

Hi, sorry I know this thread was a long time ago! I was just wondering which prison this was? I'd really like to know so I can apply there!

Thank you!
Reply 23
hi i wanted to know if you could send me the information of the agency that you worked for because i been looking for a paid placement that fits the description above .

thanks a lot
shevon
Reply 24
Original post by fragile_halo
i'm still doing my last year of A-levels but i managed to secure a work placement at my local hospital. The Clinical psychologists there told me that for students, it is more likely that you will get a placement if you apply at an adult mental health service. basically because you will be working with older people it is highly unlikely that you'll meet someone you know unlike if you're dealing with teenagers where you might bump into one of your friends or something. It just makes it easier for them to organise the confidentiality aspects etc.

Just get the addresses of the services from your county's mental health service and write them. they should be similar to this: http://www.cambsmh.nhs.uk/

I'm also in my second year of Psychology and i just cant seem to get a work experience placement at a hospital or anything got to do with psychology. They either say I'm too young (turning 18 in next month) or no due to the long process or ethical reasons.

Could you help me on telling the procedure on how you got the place please it would help me so much! :smile:
Original post by _vitsss
I'm also in my second year of Psychology and i just cant seem to get a work experience placement at a hospital or anything got to do with psychology. They either say I'm too young (turning 18 in next month) or no due to the long process or ethical reasons.

Could you help me on telling the procedure on how you got the place please it would help me so much! :smile:

you should still be able to find something relevant, just lower your expectations - you should be looking at befriending, mentoring or perhaps working with children

Quick Reply

Latest