The Student Room Group

Medicine at University of Edingburgh

Hi guys,
I am planning to apply to Edinburgh to study medicine and wanted to ask some questions about the uni as I was unable to attend any of the open days.

First of all, are interviews guaranteed if you meet the minimum requirements? I have 13A*s and 1A for my GCSEs, and 4As for my AS-levels (Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths) whilst my UMS average is 91%. How likely am I going to get an offer with these grades? I am doing my UKCAT next week and expecting an average of 650+ if not more than 700.

What percentage of students get an interview and what percentage of students get an offer?

How does the university use the UKCAT and how important is it when it comes to making an offer?

Any tips and advice would be really appreciated
Thank you in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Hiya,
First of all UofE don't interview for medicine unless you're a post-grad, so I don't know if that's good or bad news for you! I applied this year but was unsuccessful. I requested feedback though and they gave me some interesting info. They award you a 'score' in academic, UKCAT, and non-academic. The scores for academic + non academic areas are all split into thirds ie. top, middle and bottom academic third etc, while the UKCAT is split into eighths.
Your academic score is 50% of your application, UKCAT is 20% (they didn't give a % for non-academic but I presume it's 30%)
My feedback told me that I was in top third for academic, middle third for non-academic, and 2nd eighth (with 1st being top) for UKCAT. This put me in top 400 and top 300 received offers. (I had AAAAA in Highers and AA in Adv. Higher and A in Higher predicted for this year and 693 avg. in UKCAT)
They had 2650 applicants for just over 200 places this year.
Hope that helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending