Michaelguru
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey! My firm choice is Bristol to study Economics and Finance (AAA), Ihave achieved AAB, whereas B is in economics and literally 0,5 %/2ums of an A(318/400).
I got 72/100 and 80/100 in me econ exams, would it be sencible to apply for a remark only with the one with 72? or both?
also how long will it take for OCR to return the priority remark results?
Thanks in advance!
AndroidLight
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Michaelguru)
Hey! My firm choice is Bristol to study Economics and Finance (AAA), Ihave achieved AAB, whereas B is in economics and literally 0,5 %/2ums of an A(318/400).
I got 72/100 and 80/100 in me econ exams, would it be sencible to apply for a remark only with the one with 72? or both?
also how long will it take for OCR to return the priority remark results?
Thanks in advance!
Hey, definitely get a priority remark right away if you haven't since there's no risk of that B turning into a C. As I recall your firm has to hold the offer untill you get the priority remark done, as long as you haven't rejected it on UCAS for your insurance yet. Have a look online for how long it takes - it was about a week for edexcel with me and have a look soon since there's usually a deadline soon after getting your results for a priority remark.

With regards to which to remark, it's always tough - go with your intuition on how you felt they went. I remarked the 2 modules in maths that I felt I could've got a better score on, and thankfully got what I needed. Obviously 80/100 is already quite high, so only remark that if you feel you could've got a higher score on it. Likewise the same applies for the 72/100, as if you think you did badly on that it may turn out that a remark gives you a lower score. Doing both could give you the unfortunate situation of one's score going up and the other down - so really do it for the one/s you think has scope to improve and not go down. If you have the exam paper perhaps you could go over it and score up what you think would be a correct mark and go based on that.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AndroidLight)
Hey, definitely get a priority remark right away if you haven't since there's no risk of that B turning into a C. As I recall your firm has to hold the offer untill you get the priority remark done, as long as you haven't rejected it on UCAS for your insurance yet. Have a look online for how long it takes - it was about a week for edexcel with me and have a look soon since there's usually a deadline soon after getting your results for a priority remark.

With regards to which to remark, it's always tough - go with your intuition on how you felt they went. I remarked the 2 modules in maths that I felt I could've got a better score on, and thankfully got what I needed. Obviously 80/100 is already quite high, so only remark that if you feel you could've got a higher score on it. Likewise the same applies for the 72/100, as if you think you did badly on that it may turn out that a remark gives you a lower score. Doing both could give you the unfortunate situation of one's score going up and the other down - so really do it for the one/s you think has scope to improve and not go down. If you have the exam paper perhaps you could go over it and score up what you think would be a correct mark and go based on that.
I'm afraid they don't have to hold the place. Many will offer a place for the next year, if they are told about the remark, but equally, many will fill up with people who did not need a remark. There are moves afoot to make it binding, but at the moment it is not. As for OP rejecting his firm in favour of his insurance, that's completely the wrong way round. If his firm has rejected him he will be at his insurance, if he made that offer. If his firm accepted him (and it sounds like it didn't if he's going for a remark) then his insurance has disappeared.
AndroidLight
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
I'm afraid they don't have to hold the place. Many will offer a place for the next year, if they are told about the remark, but equally, many will fill up with people who did not need a remark. There are moves afoot to make it binding, but at the moment it is not. As for OP rejecting his firm in favour of his insurance, that's completely the wrong way round. If his firm has rejected him he will be at his insurance, if he made that offer. If his firm accepted him (and it sounds like it didn't if he's going for a remark) then his insurance has disappeared.
Perhaps its circumstantial depending on the university, but at least for me when I got my results back in 2012, UCL held my offer of AAA untill I got the one B priority re-marked. They also said it was policy to see through any remarks that came back positive, so I assumed it was a more uni-wide thing. As you say if they don't need to hold the offer then OP obviously call up and ask if they'll hold your offer till you get the remark back. I also recall UCL mentioning something about holding the offer till the 31st Aug but again that might just be a UCL thing. OCR seems to have a priority remark deadline for 21st Aug so might want to get on it asap if you haven't already.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Perhaps its circumstantial depending on the university, but at least for me when I got my results back in 2012, UCL held my offer of AAA untill I got the one B priority re-marked. They also said it was policy to see through any remarks that came back positive, so I assumed it was a more uni-wide thing. As you say if they don't need to hold the offer then OP obviously call up and ask if they'll hold your offer till you get the remark back. I also recall UCL mentioning something about holding the offer till the 31st Aug but again that might just be a UCL thing. OCR seems to have a priority remark deadline for 21st Aug so might want to get on it asap if you haven't already.
Some universities will honour it. The thing is that it's voluntary on their part to do so, despite the Ucas issue of meeting the terms of the offer by August 31st, and some universities apply a rule of accepting the first set of results they get.
Michaelguru
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply, btw does the new result get transfered to uni/ucas? or should I send them a scanned copy?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply, btw does the new result get transfered to uni/ucas? or should I send them a scanned copy?
You will need to inform them yourself.
AndroidLight
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had to tell them myself, and they asked me to scan a copy of the remark to them afterwards. All fairly simple as long as the remark hopefully comes back positive!
Michaelguru
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
You will need to inform them yourself.
Thank you for all the help, My economics UMS went up by 14, and therefore Bristol is currently confirming my place
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for all the help, My economics UMS went up by 14, and therefore Bristol is currently confirming my place
Well, that's excellent news!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.34%
No (317)
75.66%

Watched Threads