The Student Room Group

I can't drink that much and it's embarrasing

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome so I can't drink too much alcohol too quickly otherwise I get stomach pain / feel sick. It takes me about 15 minutes to finish one pint. I just did a foundation year at Uni and it was so embarrassing because when I went out with my societies and they told me to down my pint I couldn't do it, and I couldn't take part in the drinking games or just ended up embarrasing myself. The only way I can get drunk is with shots.

I am starting my actual degree this year and i'm worried about going out with societies because I can't do things like drinking games unless it's shots. Any advice on what I should do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by legzgo9
I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome so I can't drink too much alcohol too quickly otherwise I get stomach pain / feel sick. It takes me about 15 minutes to finish one pint. I just did a foundation year at Uni and it was so embarrassing because when I went out with my societies and they told me to down my pint I couldn't do it, and I couldn't take part in the drinking games or just ended up embarrasing myself. The only way I can get drunk is with shots.

I am starting my actual degree this year and i'm worried about going out with societies because I can't do things like drinking games unless it's shots. Any advice on what I should do?

How do you feel about explaining to people that it makes you unwell?
I would say just be honest, or at least say that you have a medical condition that makes excessive drinking unwise. I've had long spells of not being able to drink because of various medications for health issues, and in my experience anyone who makes you feel embarrassed about that fact is probably not worth hanging around with. I still took part in drinking games but with non-alcoholic drinks, so you still get to feel like you're part of the group with the added bonus of not getting sick or hungover!
Original post by legzgo9

You do know that university isn't about drinking? It's not about getting drunk? And it shouldn't matter to you that you can't do what others do in regards to drinking because it isn't important and you shouldn't feel embarrased about it. 15 minutes is a perfectly acceptable way to finish a pint I think and if you must get drunk then shots are the way to go anyway? But don't put yourself through discomfort. Your friends should understand that you can't and you simple say no, it doesn't uninclude you from anything, you're still there with them at lease?

My advice is stop trying to think keeping up drinking is some form of social acceptance. It isn't embarrasing that you can't. You drink what you can drink and that's that.
I went out with societies and didn't drink out of choice not because I had a condition and I was fine, just be like you've got a condition end of.
Reply 5
I can't drink much (4-5 units MAX) simply because I hardly ever drink alcohol.

Things will be fine OP - you'll just be seen as a light drinker.
(edited 8 years ago)
Your friends really should be understanding of your condition. Try explaining this to them in advance, so they don't try forcing alcohol onto you while out. If anything, as the above poster mentioned, you'll be seen as less of a drinker than most people, which you shouldn't be judged for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by legzgo9

Go out anyway, but explain you have medical issues and can't partake in the drinking games fully.

No-one will mind, in fact they will appreciate you've still made the effort.
Reply 8
Original post by legzgo9

I have the same condition as you and ive found still alcohols have worked a lot better as opposed to fizzy ones, try still ciders, its the only alcohol besides spirits that i can handle, trust me just try it. Also i just say i dont feel well enough to get involved in drinking games and most people are cool with that
Reply 9
Original post by justmoll
I have the same condition as you and ive found still alcohols have worked a lot better as opposed to fizzy ones, try still ciders, its the only alcohol besides spirits that i can handle, trust me just try it. Also i just say i dont feel well enough to get involved in drinking games and most people are cool with that

Hey, I seem to be ok with fizzy drinks, but with alcohol it will take me about 30 mins to finish it lol. And it sucks because nobody wants me on their team for drinking games because they always lose haha. I don't know why it's so bad with alcohol, I guess it is technically poisonous for your stomach though
(edited 8 years ago)
Bet you can drink a whole lotta water though, amirite? :awesome:
Original post by legzgo9
Hey, I seem to be ok with fizzy drinks, but with alcohol it will take me about 30 mins to finish it lol. And it sucks because nobody wants me on their team for drinking games because they always lose haha. I don't know why it's so bad with alcohol, I guess it is technically poisonous for your stomach though

Yeah its the biggest trigger if you have IBS, like spicy food aha
Well if you can't drink too much then just don't drink too much, gosh.
Original post by legzgo9
I guess it is technically poisonous for your stomach though

Not technically, Alcohol is straight up a poison.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending