How to cope with AS

Watch this thread
Rjcx
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Any new year 12's need advice on how to handle AS? ASK AWAY

I studied Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Maths and General Studies so hopefully i can help in a range of areas!
Ryanzmw
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I'm here also, I took Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry AS levels this year. 4As, carrying on with all 4 next year + EPQ + AS Japanese (Looks easy and I already know the material xD) I'll happily help anything STEM related.
jackmolineux
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi both, hope your results were what you were after!

Would you say you were always/naturally good at maths?
Was AS a huge jump from GCSE maths?
SpeedyGonzalez
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I start A Levels in two weeks. What must I do to make sure I achieve four A's at AS. How often shall I revise? When should I start revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile
roarchika
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ryanzmw)
I'm here also, I took Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry AS levels this year. 4As, carrying on with all 4 next year + EPQ + AS Japanese (Looks easy and I already know the material xD) I'll happily help anything STEM related.
Yoooooo! I'm doing GCSE Japanese next year with a view to doing it at AS in Year 13. Do you have any specific advice?
xnads
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'll be taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology this year. Would it be okay for you to talk and give some advice about each subject individually? Like how was the workload, is it managable, how was the jump from GCSE to A level in the sciences and how many hours would you advise to spend on each A-level subject per day? Could you also suggest some useful revision tips and how to stay organised. Would it be better to use the textbook or revision guide which is already summarised? Sorry for asking so many questions
h8skoooooool
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing the same this year except biology instead of chemistry (and no japanese but already done AS French in year 11). What FM modules did you do? How much harder is it than AS Maths? I'm self teaching FM and so far I'm struggling. I've just been reading through the textbook and don't feel like I'm learning!! How can I actually teach it myself? Thanks!!!
hello135
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What do I need to do for an A/A* in Chemistry or Physics?
wannabe_lawyer
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'm thinking of doing Maths, Physics, Sociology and English Lit for AS. For people who've done Physics and Maths, how's the workload compared to GCSE? What's your revision technique those who've achieved As? I just need a guide really cause I'm really scared about it because I'm pretty good at Maths and Physics (A-A*s) but I've heard horror stories about them :/
DaringDaniel
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by wannabe_lawyer)
I'm thinking of doing Maths, Physics, Sociology and English Lit for AS. For people who've done Physics and Maths, how's the workload compared to GCSE? What's your revision technique those who've achieved As? I just need a guide really cause I'm really scared about it because I'm pretty good at Maths and Physics (A-A*s) but I've heard horror stories about them :/
I convinced my brother not to do Physics.
wannabe_lawyer
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DaringDaniel)
I convinced my brother not to do Physics.
That's not promising :/ Why?
motivatedshroom
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Physics is a very nice A-Level to do, and it is not hard to achieve an A/A* if you really try.

The mathematics in physics is VERY basic, which is an advantage! There is no calculus and complex algebra. As far as maths goes, it's pretty much knowing which equation is necessary at a given and remembering to change units. All equations and constants are given in the data sheet.

Do not underestimate the wordy questions for picking up marks. Some are worth 10 marks at A2. CRAZY MARKS. But yeah, just enjoy it haha. I remember being very daunted by physics initially, it must have taken at least 6 months for me to adapt, and towards the end I became pretty good at physic.

Take time to learn definitions too. The maths is easy once you've practised. A lot is common sense.

Maths is a lot harder than physics - grade boundaries help that too!

GOOD LUCK
KristaWinchester
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing Psychology, Business Studies, History and either English Lit/lang or Economics depending how results day pans out. Hope your results were good!
I like lists so here it goes:

Does anyone have any tips on the ''jump'' between GCSE and A levels?
Is the jump/sixth form really as bad as people make out?
Any good tips for the subjects above?
Any good tips for sixth form life in general? (I'm going to a new sixth form!)
Is there anything you wish you knew at the start of year 12?
Anything you would really recommend doing/not doing?
Things you would definitely bring aside from the obvious stationary/textbook etc- eg someone told me to bring coffee because we have a kettle we can use! Plus I will record lessons to make detailed notes from later so I will bring my phone to lessons.

Thank you!
wannabe_lawyer
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by motivatedshroom)
Physics is a very nice A-Level to do, and it is not hard to achieve an A/A* if you really try.

The mathematics in physics is VERY basic, which is an advantage! There is no calculus and complex algebra. As far as maths goes, it's pretty much knowing which equation is necessary at a given and remembering to change units. All equations and constants are given in the data sheet.

Do not underestimate the wordy questions for picking up marks. Some are worth 10 marks at A2. CRAZY MARKS. But yeah, just enjoy it haha. I remember being very daunted by physics initially, it must have taken at least 6 months for me to adapt, and towards the end I became pretty good at physic.

Take time to learn definitions too. The maths is easy once you've practised. A lot is common sense.

Maths is a lot harder than physics - grade boundaries help that too!

GOOD LUCK
Thank you, your post really helped! I think I'll stick with Physics and just work really hard to prove people wrong What did you get for it, if you don't mind me asking?
DaringDaniel
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
That's not promising :/ Why?
Well I'm going into year 12 so I can't speak as I know what I'm saying. But so many in my college did poorly in it Physics is a subject which you don't ever fully understand the physics/science behind it unless you're a genius. It's demanding I would not recommend it unless you wish to do engineering.
motivatedshroom
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thank you, your post really helped! I think I'll stick with Physics and just work really hard to prove people wrong What did you get for it, if you don't mind me asking?
I got an A* and am now studying chemistry

Enjoy your summer!
joe4234
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What did you get in GCSE's? Also physics, how is it? How much of the course is electricity and momentum ect and how much is the good stuff like waves/fusion/stars ect?
Ryanzmw
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by roarchika)
Yoooooo! I'm doing GCSE Japanese next year with a view to doing it at AS in Year 13. Do you have any specific advice?
I didn't take Japanese GCSE, but I've looked at the past papers and they seem pretty easy. My advice would be to develop a passion for the language outside of school.

If you haven't already check out http://www.guidetojapanese.org/ to learn grammar. The grammar required for GCSE is very minimal but just become very familiar with verb conjugations (especially the te-form endings). After that download 'anki', it's basically a smart flashcard app, free on computers but you have to pay for on the app store. Then download a JLPT N5 vocabulary deck. Work your way through the 800 words (don't worry about knowing them inside out from the first time you see them, you'll commit them to long term memory after using them a couple of times). After doing those 2 things GCSE Japanese should be easy. If you want to progress onto JLPT N4 vocabulary decks (a further 800 words) and do a little more grammar you should be ready for AS and beyond.

頑張ります!
roarchika
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I didn't take Japanese GCSE, but I've looked at the past papers and they seem pretty easy. My advice would be to develop a passion for the language outside of school.

If you haven't already check out http://www.guidetojapanese.org/ to learn grammar. The grammar required for GCSE is very minimal but just become very familiar with verb conjugations (especially the te-form endings). After that download 'anki', it's basically a smart flashcard app, free on computers but you have to pay for on the app store. Then download a JLPT N5 vocabulary deck. Work your way through the 800 words (don't worry about knowing them inside out from the first time you see them, you'll commit them to long term memory after using them a couple of times). After doing those 2 things GCSE Japanese should be easy. If you want to progress onto JLPT N4 vocabulary decks (a further 800 words) and do a little more grammar you should be ready for AS and beyond.

頑張ります!
Oh, is AS Level only ~N4? I've been prepping for GCSE using the N4 stuff, oops....? Thank you so much! I'm already an avid lover of Tae Kim, ngl he's the one who making self-studying Japanese bearable!
Ryanzmw
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by joe4234)
What did you get in GCSE's? Also physics, how is it? How much of the course is electricity and momentum ect and how much is the good stuff like waves/fusion/stars ect?
I got 6A*s, A, B and a C xD
Unfortunately the C was in English language xD (As I'm sure you can tell from this post), but my A*s where in: Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy and Further Maths Level 2 certificate (A^ grade, which is the highest, but I'm counting it as an a*)

I did Edexcel so all the stars and fusion are in the A2 modules which I have yet to do. However I did Astronomy GCSE which covers everything in these A2 modules and all in all it's fine, for stars and fusion it's pretty much rote learning of the stages of stellar evolution.

Momentum is one of the simplest topics, you never do anything really beyond M1 standard (Mechanics 1 AS maths module), it's just conservation of momentum and using p = mv.

Electricity is developed on a little bit I believe, the concepts of negative temperature gradient conductors are introduced however most of the new stuff that gets introduced is all qualitative (i.e. writing explanations) the maths is just a few simple equations (most of which are on the formula sheet).

Waves was my favourite topic at AS level (It's probably the hardest topic), because it felt the most mathematical I guess. Also I got some exposure to degree level physics during that topic as my teacher gave me a uni textbook to read xD My advice for this topic would be don't try remember what happens, instead focus on developing your own understanding of waves and everything will make sense and be obvious!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.6%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.85%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.16%

Watched Threads