New laptop suggestions... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
my brother got a 2nd hand lap-top off the net, off ebay or something called "loot" (?) for £50. it was well worth it. in perfect working order & everything.
tagzt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
when you're on the dell website, click on "dell outlet" and you'll be taken to loads of discounted laptops. these are all refurbished laptops which come with full 3 year dell warranties, they are laptops that were sent out to customers but were returned after a few days and in some cases were not even opened.

im looking at the dell latitude d600, its got great spec and is £800
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Originally posted by tagzt
when you're on the dell website, click on "dell outlet" and you'll be taken to loads of discounted laptops. these are all refurbished laptops which come with full 3 year dell warranties, they are laptops that were sent out to customers but were returned after a few days and in some cases were not even opened.

im looking at the dell latitude d600, its got great spec and is £800
Yeah I've already come across Dell Outlet, and it's probably going to be where I buy mine from. There're definetely some very good deals there .
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey I juts bought myself a laptop for UNI! Unfortunately it was from PC World but it was a fantastic deal. It is the Advent 7017, admittadly not the best of well known makes but hey it still has a warranty! the spec was as follows:

P4 3.06 ghz
40 GB Hard Drive
512 Mb RAM
DVD/CDRW drive
Wireless network card
15.1 inch screen
64mb Graphics

all for £1199 and it works fantastically would definately reccomend.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im not too sure about the p4 3gHz processor, for that amount of money you could have got a centrino processor. these consume much less power and emit far less heat, i will def get a laptop with one of those processors. your wireless netowrk card will also work better with a centrino processor
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
don't get anything from time, their customer service is utter crap
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hello,

I am about to get this model, have youhad any problems, also what are the games like on it...

I intend on using it for my PC Business, on-site support - have you tried the wi-fi ?? is it 54g, also what have you done about a floppy disk drive - use a USB one

Any chance you could post a pic

cant find one on net

Kind Regards

Steve B.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I bought a 7017 3 weeks ago - great machine - very quick. Im building websites with it and it can handle high graphics with no problems.

Only down side is it DOES run hot - fan continually whirring away so thats a bit annoying.
All in all i can fully recommend it - for the price its fantastic.

Ps.i have owned various advents over the last 5 years and no probs to speak of.

Ed
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I bought an Advent 7017 about a month ago and I am very happy with it! Ok, it weighs a bit but for me it is worth it. It does every-thing I want it to do with no complains other than an increasing fan speed. I am mainly into my music and games. The 3D rendering is superb esspecially with those Winamp Vis. Got frame-rates of up to 350 on 1024x768...at least I was impressed. I play Unreal tounament quite abit and it runs soooo smoothly even on the highest graphic setting. It plays DVDs perfectly. It's got all the connections you could ever want except for a RCA video out, it's got a s/vid out though and the converter is very cheap. Yeah...I am happy with it and for the price, I think it's very good value for money! I do recomend it!!!

Let me know if you are having the same luck with the silvery 7017 k.
Larry
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I got a 7027 with wireless etc for 1299, but you can get it for 1199 this week...not sure if you need the newspaper ad that advertised it but you could try.
Great laptop, only thing is quite a noisy fan, and the speakers are not great...but for a 15inch 3ghz dvd r/w its great
You can watch dvds on it and you can listen to mp3s and cds without turning it on.....wireless wprks great, graphics is 64mb ati...really good.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Look online for the best deals - Dell in particular are way overpriced.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This one sounds good: http://www.multivision.co.uk/showdet.php?id=174

Try looking through the reviews of www.pcadvisor.co.uk or some other PC mag sites. And please don't buy from PC World!
Unspeakable
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Whatever you decide on, have a look at www.dabs.com before you buy as they're good prices.
Comet have a good range too and are cheaper than the other stores we looked in.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Toys R Us !!!!!!!
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
2nd hand laptops can be dodgy.... i would recommend sony or dell.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
Second
I
Sony
Dell

(People in glass houses etc etc http://www.uk-learning.net/showthrea...522#post480522 )
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
why the hell resurrect this thread lol?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sony make the best laptops ever, ever, ever ever. But, they really are insanely priced. So if I were you I'd go for a fujitsu as they seem very solid, very compact. and have brilliant screens. I have a higrade laptop, it's not brilliant, it's like a cheap ripoff of a sony vaio, but the price was excellent, I didn't really feel like paying double for the same spec machine just because it said "Sony" on it.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Hi,

I have approx. £1,100 (I could go a bit higher, but would rather not) to spend on a new laptop for university. I have plenty of experience in buying and building desktop PCs, but have never bought a laptop so am looking for advice/suggestions. I would like it to be as high-end as possible within that budget, but it will not really be used for gaming, so a stupidly expensive graphics card is not a must, but a decent screen is (I can't stand cheap and small (14") screens).

As I have previously built all of my desktops from scratch, ordering components from the best places at that time, I have no idea how good various different 'complete-PC' manufacturers such as Dell, Mesh, Time, Acer, Compaq and IBM etc. are. I have recently found the Dell Outlet store, which appears to have some very good deals (I especially like their 15.4" screens on the Inspiron Dimension 8500 models), any horror stories to report regarding them?

Any suggestions regarding other manufacturers/models?

Thanks,
Are you going to be using it for wireless networking? What is its main use? Storing large files?

Many of the laptops being brought out have things like touchpad, track and ball, joystick in the middle, etc. However it becomes impractical, and sooner or later you will have to plug in a mouse.

For something like £1000, you can go for something like a Sony Vaio. Some of the laptops sport fantastic features, the laptop I purchased for my father sports a 15" or 16" screen, and the clarity is fantastic.

Processor type is important too. Some laptops sport a variable processor that can change its core speed depending on how much battery power it has. If you are planning on taking it on long journeys I would recommend the Pentium processors as opposed to AMD.

Note that buying a laptop is going to be an expensive and irreversible process. Laptops are difficult to upgrade as the components are smaller and sometimes manufacturer specific. You may only be able to upgrade certain things, like your basic memory, disk drives, PCMCIA slots, hard drives, but you will have to pay a premium.

The most expensive thing to replace/repair is the screen. Now if you drop the thing, it won't be covered under normal warranty, unless you bought the OVERPRICED extended warranty.

With regards to manufacturers. Toshiba make nice, light and portable laptops, depending on which model you buy, may have the Wi-Fi support.

Sony laptops have come down in recent months, they do everything you expect from a Sony and are of good build.

Dell, well I own one of the smallest laptops. Its tiny, With the size of it, it doesn't contain any integrated drives apart from the main hard disk. If I want to use my CD-RW/DVD or Floppy Drive I just plug it in, as it is hot swappable, enabling me turn to switch between floppy or DVD drive. It is good for power.

Be wary of buying second hand. There may be dead pixels on the screen, faulty hardware, reported stolen, etc.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bhaal, it's a really old thread...
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (114)
14.04%
Excited (80)
9.85%
Worried (152)
18.72%
Terrified (189)
23.28%
Meh (52)
6.4%
Confused (23)
2.83%