The Student Room Group

BTEC Mechanical Engineering to go to university, what can you study?

Hi,

So say I have a level 3 mechanical engineering diploma, and I apply for university. What choices do I have in terms of courses?

Would I be able to do civil engineering? Or do I have to stick with mechanical engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes you should be able to study civil engineering if I'm honest. Usually with regards to btecs they ask for one in an engineering discipline which it just so happens that mechanical engineering is one of them

Posted from TSR Mobile
So applying to Southampton university with a Btec in mechanical engineering level 3, will open up the engineerin courses there? as long as I have D* D D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yep It should do... If your only going to apply for civil engineering maybe right something in your personal statement about why your interested in that sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sionna
Yep It should do... If your only going to apply for civil engineering maybe right something in your personal statement about why your interested in that sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I've been reading around and some people say that I have to have a-level maths along with Btec mechanical engineering to do civil engineering at university? Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by kelvin_pangg
So I've been reading around and some people say that I have to have a-level maths along with Btec mechanical engineering to do civil engineering at university? Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your best bet is to contact the universities you want to apply to and ask them to clarify. I'm sure it varies by uni.
Original post by k3ro
Your best bet is to contact the universities you want to apply to and ask them to clarify. I'm sure it varies by uni.

Is "BTEC Level 3 Diploma (90 Credit) / Extended Diploma in Mechanical Engineering" the same as "BTEC HND"???

I want to apply for http://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/undergraduate/courses/civil_engineering/hk21_meng_civil_engineering_and_architecture.page?#entry

Will a BTEC Level 3 Diploma (90 Credit) / Extended Diploma in Mechanical Engineering at D* D D minimum allow me to do this course?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
It should do because it says further down the page that they accept alternative qualifications that will be based on an individuals merit. If in doubt contact the universities enquiries department they're always happy to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sionna
It should do because it says further down the page that they accept alternative qualifications that will be based on an individuals merit. If in doubt contact the universities enquiries department they're always happy to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay thanks, I did email them the same question just to be sure! So that definitely means I can apply and hopefully get accepted as long as I get D* D D.

This is the exact course I am doing, is this good enough? http://www.thecollege.co.uk/courses/btec-level-3-diploma-90-credit-extended-diploma-mechanical-engineering
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Looking at the course, I don't see why you wouldn't be accepted. Your course is structured in a similar way that mine was at college. In your first year you will receive a 90 credit diploma and then after your second year you will receive your extended diploma.
A D*DD is achievable as long as your set on it. It helps to have a target of what you need because your much more likely to achieve the grades at that point. A lot of people look at entry requirements much too late and therefore would be unable to achieve the higher grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sionna
Looking at the course, I don't see why you wouldn't be accepted. Your course is structured in a similar way that mine was at college. In your first year you will receive a 90 credit diploma and then after your second year you will receive your extended diploma.
A D*DD is achievable as long as your set on it. It helps to have a target of what you need because your much more likely to achieve the grades at that point. A lot of people look at entry requirements much too late and therefore would be unable to achieve the higher grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are the math units done, is it similar to GCSE/A-Level maths? Opinions on whether it was easy or not?
Reply 11
The maths unit was relatively straight forward actually and with the way the course is structured its almost impossible to fail. It does build on what you've learnt at GCSE but if I'm honest I don't think anyone on my course struggled to pass that unit
Reply 12
It is done with assignments and in class assessments but not traditional exams so nothing that stressful
Reply 13
you could do a foundation year with that btec to gain entry to first year
Reply 14
Or you can get direct entry... So why would you waste a year doing a foundation year
seems too easy to be true

Posted from TSR Mobile
@sionna

Does anyone know if this course : http://www.thecollege.co.uk/courses/btec-level-3-diploma-90-credit-extended-diploma-mechanical-engineering

Has the required qualifications for Analytical Methods and Further Analytical Methods modules

Thanks!

This is the email I got from Southampton university :

The same entry requirements apply to the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma as the BTEC HND, however if your diploma doesn’t have the Analytical Methods and Further Analytical Methods modules then an A in Maths A-Level is a suitable alternative.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
If your course doesn't have these modules then you can ask to be entered for them... I took further electrical principles as an optional unit and they are usually very good at accommodating your needs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sionna
If your course doesn't have these modules then you can ask to be entered for them... I took further electrical principles as an optional unit and they are usually very good at accommodating your needs

Posted from TSR Mobile

so I can just ask to do these modules, would I swap them with other modules or I'll have to do extra modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
You usually just swap them so instead of doing electronic circuits and devices I did further electrical principles. Which means while everyone else completed their unit you would do this one instead

Quick Reply

Latest