The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

New English Lit Students

Scroll to see replies

Hey quick question, do any of you guys starting English lit in October have a Facebook or Twitter? I would love to make a group chat in which we could get to know each other before we start!!! ☺☺☺
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Sidelarey
Hey quick question, do any of you guys starting English lit in October have a Facebook or Twitter? I would love to make a group chat in which we could get to know each other before we start!!! ☺☺☺

I can add you to an existing English Lit chat if you would like? :smile: PM me!
A Warwick University English Freshers 2015 Facebook group has been created, for anyone who's interested :smile: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1196952333663568/
Reply 23
Hey, I'm an U6th student and getting to the crux of my question, Is English literature a good course to take if you want to become a writer yourself. I want to end up writing as a job, or at least attempting it for a while and was wondering whether English would help me further my skill, or simply numb me to creativity and turn me into a kind of Literature historian, or even worse a critic. Thank you very much for any answer you can give.
Original post by woxo
Hey, I'm an U6th student and getting to the crux of my question, Is English literature a good course to take if you want to become a writer yourself. I want to end up writing as a job, or at least attempting it for a while and was wondering whether English would help me further my skill, or simply numb me to creativity and turn me into a kind of Literature historian, or even worse a critic. Thank you very much for any answer you can give.

I'm not sure if we're the right people to ask as this is just a bunch of new English Lit students who haven't taken it as a degree yet :/ However, I think English Literature can be a great way of learning about how you can become a better writer as surely the best way to write better is to read good books. But I get what you're saying as you will end up analysing/critiquing literature, so perhaps it would be better for you to try a joint honours English & Creative Writing course? :smile: Hope that helped
Original post by woxo

I pretty much agree with thewishfulwriter (hi Laura!) It also depends on the kind of writing you want to do. If you want to be an author, it might be worth looking at English & Creative Writing courses, whereas if you want to write for a magazine or newspaper then a Journalism course would probably be more suitable. However, I'm pretty you can be an author/journalist even if you do take 'only' English. Taking English Lit would definitely give you a really good grounding to get started, as well as the skills to structure an argument/essay, work to a deadline and know how to analyse symbolism/metaphor/pathetic fallacy etc. and use it yourself. Hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Latest