The Student Room Group

First lesson experience.

Hi everyone, so yesterday i had my first ever driving lesson with no public road experience (I've used a car simulator on a couple of occasion but it was set to automatic). I felt as if i did okay, i started on a quite country road and my instructor went the everything you would expect in a first lesson. Took about half an hour before i got going and before i knew it i was actually driving got up to 60 MPH (NSL Road don't worry haha) and he said my overall road positioning was good and that he could see me progressing quite quickly because i was confident. To be quite honest i didn't realise how easy the clutch actually is for me, but i know that once pressure gets added in situations ill probably fail, but i'm usually quite relaxed so we'll have to wait and see. Nevertheless i did manage to get away at a junction on my own without stalling, but i then ended up putting it into the wrong gear woops (3rd instead of 2nd) no clue how i managed that but then i ended up changing down into the wrong gear, (4th to 2nd) and my instructor said i was snatching at the gears. What i thought was quite strange was that i didn't get taught how to steer in my first lesson? Is this normal or do i need to find a new instructor haha. The one thing i will mention which i thought was incredibly strange was that he wanted me to slow right down way way before turning into a junction leading onto my estate and on approach i genuinely felt as if the engine was going to cut out so i added a bit more gas to ensure that i'd be able to reach the corner appropriately, even so i was still doing about 15MPH which i thought was relatively safe, but he insisted on me doing 10 or below. Honestly felt so slow but i guess that is how it has to be, curbed the corner on the next junction which felt quite embarrassing so i'd be grateful if anyone could give me any tips and others tips on being a new learner driver... If you have managed to read all of this. Thanks.
It's pretty much a no-brainer when it comes to steering. If you have to be told how to steer, there's something wrong. I wasn't taught how to steer, it was pretty much obvious anyway.

For other tips, just keep practicing. It took me a year and 3 months to pass, but that was mainly because I was only driving with my instructor - my mum couldn't afford to put me on the insurance for her car -.-

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by LaughingKitsune
It's pretty much a no-brainer when it comes to steering. If you have to be told how to steer, there's something wrong. I wasn't taught how to steer, it was pretty much obvious anyway.

For other tips, just keep practicing. It took me a year and 3 months to pass, but that was mainly because I was only driving with my instructor - my mum couldn't afford to put me on the insurance for her car -.-

Good luck :biggrin:

Haha that sounds pretty fair, i'll probably get insured on my dad's car if he trusts me enough to sit with me after i've had more experience :L
Reply 3
Had my second lesson today woop. Went much smoother until a big roundabout of which i completely froze up and my instructor had to take both the clutch and the wheel to help me move off and around, but other than feeling absolutely overwhelmed at that point, everything else was okay. Did hill starts, steering, bay park, moving off procedure which i got pretty quickly and will probably improve more once i've done them more times. Keep snatching at the gears at points and putting it in the wrong gear but i correct it quickly, must be my technique. But all in all i'm definitely developing the basics well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending