The Student Room Group

Indian girl and Black guy - Her parents disapprove:(

Hi guys,

I am a black Caribbean male in a relationship with an Indian girl. She recently told her mum about us and her mum strongly disapproved. The relationship has lasted over a year, but she told her mum that I had only just recently asked her out to avoid further distrust. She has not told her Dad yet.

I do not fit any of the numerous and seemingly endless negative stereotypes of black boys. I do not wear my trousers below my bum, I do not carry a knife, I do not smoke anything, I'm not a criminal nor am I part of any gang and I do not consider myself uneducated. In fact, I've attained 3 A's at A level and I will begin my 1st year of undergraduate medicine in September. I believe I am a good kind hearted person overall and I only want to make my gf happy.

Despite this, her mum came up with a range of excuses : They are not committed and always go back to their own; they will not respect your culture; how will it look on the family ; I would rather you be with an Indian on minimum wage than a black doctor.

With regards to her culture, I am Christian and she is Hindu. I am personally not very religious at all so I would never try to change her or dissuade her from Hinduism. She is not too religious either so we have both agreed that down the line,should we procreate, we shall raise our children with awareness of both religions. What matters most is that our children are upstanding citizens of society.

It hurts that her mum, or anyone, would paint us all with the same brush. All relationships carry the risk of not working out. There are uncommitted Indians as well as Black people and shouldn't your daughters happiness and her finding a loving companion take preference over what family or anyone else thinks?

It comes across as unreasonable and racist to me. If I had exactly the same credentials, but was Indian they would welcome me with open arms. Not saying all Asians are racist, I know that certainly the vast majority of 3rd generation Asians are not. It is just really saddening to us both, but I will be with her regardless of what her parents think.

Thank you for reading all of that if you did. I had a lot to get off of my chest lol. If you are or know anyone who is an Asian female dating outside her race would you mind sharing your/their experiences/ give advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Asian parents smh. Good luck.
Alot of Asian parents like that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Asians can be very conservative. It seems like they are bit racist frankly. Try and get your gf to explain gently to them the way she feels about you.
Good luck as well -the more mixes of groups and mixed children in the UK the better, may we all be Brits and all be one.
Just leave it, there are people on here in similar different culture relationships and it will always end in pain, guaranteed. dont make her make a choice between you and her family either, most are naive and will make regretful choices.
Have you met her parents yet? Maybe by meeting them they will see what you are truly like, or get the girl to talk to her parents and explain how racist their attitudes are, perhaps they don't realise how unacceptable their views are?0
Reply 7
Tell them you're a future doctor and you're in son
Reply 8
tell them to go **** themselves
racist pieces of ****.
Reply 9
Original post by SnailInAShell123
Have you met her parents yet? Maybe by meeting them they will see what you are truly like, or get the girl to talk to her parents and explain how racist their attitudes are, perhaps they don't realise how unacceptable their views are?0

She wanted her mum to meet me. Her mum said she would but she could only accept me as a friend not a bf
I agree - it's racist and unreasonable. But you have a chance to change their minds. If you stay two stay together for a long time, maybe even get married or whatever, her family will be a part of your life no matter what their views.

So if you can confound their prejudices by being kind, honourable, committed, respectuful, hard-working and so on, you may find they soften towards you. Prejudices are often built on a lack of direct experience with people who seem different from you. To an extent, this process always goes on when a girl introduces a boyfriend to her family.
Good luck.
I don't think her mum cares much for your personal achievements. She just seems racist. You could try meeting her and changing her mind somehow. Show that you do respect their culture e.t.c. Basically, try to reassure her and so on.
If her Dad is accepting, try impressing him, he could maybe convince the mum.

Edit- Basically what the above poster said.
Oh man, that's awful. I really don't know what to say, but I wish you luck.
She must be terrified at this moment- you should firstly ensure that you'll always be there for her unlike what her mum said.
Secondly, you just have to stay strong and fight it together
Sadly, its to do with culture/religion so, it is very unlikely that the whole situation will work out especially if her parents already had someone in mind for her.
hi,

you two sound good together, and I personally, would ignore the mother.

This comes from the daughter of a mixed raced relationship between a 2nd gen Asian and white.
I used to have an extremely strict extended family, however they've become much more accepting over recent years. Hopefully this'll be the case for you too, and they'll learn to accept you as they see how good you two are (going solely on the OP :wink: )

So, as a half-Asian female - I would have no qualms/reservations about dating outside racial/cultural/religious 'limits'. But I'm also willing to risk being cut off completely from family (not that this would happen nowadays given their new open mindedness - I was all too prepared for it when I was younger though!).

Best wishes
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

I am a black Caribbean male in a relationship with an Indian girl. She recently told her mum about us and her mum strongly disapproved. The relationship has lasted over a year, but she told her mum that I had only just recently asked her out to avoid further distrust. She has not told her Dad yet.

I do not fit any of the numerous and seemingly endless negative stereotypes of black boys. I do not wear my trousers below my bum, I do not carry a knife, I do not smoke anything, I'm not a criminal nor am I part of any gang and I do not consider myself uneducated. In fact, I've attained 3 A's at A level and I will begin my 1st year of undergraduate medicine in September. I believe I am a good kind hearted person overall and I only want to make my gf happy.

Despite this, her mum came up with a range of excuses : They are not committed and always go back to their own; they will not respect your culture; how will it look on the family ; I would rather you be with an Indian on minimum wage than a black doctor.

With regards to her culture, I am Christian and she is Hindu. I am personally not very religious at all so I would never try to change her or dissuade her from Hinduism. She is not too religious either so we have both agreed that down the line,should we procreate, we shall raise our children with awareness of both religions. What matters most is that our children are upstanding citizens of society.

It hurts that her mum, or anyone, would paint us all with the same brush. All relationships carry the risk of not working out. There are uncommitted Indians as well as Black people and shouldn't your daughters happiness and her finding a loving companion take preference over what family or anyone else thinks?

It comes across as unreasonable and racist to me. If I had exactly the same credentials, but was Indian they would welcome me with open arms. Not saying all Asians are racist, I know that certainly the vast majority of 3rd generation Asians are not. It is just really saddening to us both, but I will be with her regardless of what her parents think.

Thank you for reading all of that if you did. I had a lot to get off of my chest lol. If you are or know anyone who is an Asian female dating outside her race would you mind sharing your/their experiences/ give advice?

I tried to rep you. I got PRSOM. Meaning I have repped you before. *opens list of previous reppings* :colone:
Original post by German123
Sadly, its to do with culture/religion so, it is very unlikely that the whole situation will work out especially if her parents already had someone in mind for her.

Sorry but I have to disagree here. Some family members of mine have dated Indian girls and they have managed to work it out and create a family because the Indian girls parents have eventually come round. I just have to hope her parents come round too.
I know you've been together for a year now and it may seem soon but maybe try and think about what it would be like if both of your parents met up for dinner?

Would there be any common ground? Would they get along? Are your parents accepting of a Hindu Indian girl? Would there be any arguments about religion or culture? Does her mum/dad have any black Caribbean friends or ever been on holiday there? and vice versa for your parents, would they ever go to India?
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
x

I know how it feels :frown:

Unfortunately, there really isn't much you can do, but do be patient and over time they will start being a little bit nicer :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending