How much does it cost to take edexcel maths exam as a private candidate?

Watch
curious!
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was thinking of doing a whole A level maths at home while continuing with my A2 at college. Is this possible and how much does it cost?
mubmoh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do not know how much it costs, but most likely a lot

However I do know it is possible, as from experience I did the whole further maths A level at home while doing my A2s.
I got my sixth form to enter me into the exams for free, so I suggest you do the same. Goodluck
LearnOnline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most exam centres who take private candidates will charge around £50 per exam (remember there are a few in Maths) so it is worth speaking to your local exam centre and see if they can offer you a discount for purchasing them all.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by curious!)
I was thinking of doing a whole A level maths at home while continuing with my A2 at college. Is this possible and how much does it cost?
The exam board fees are £70-£90, the expensive bit is how much the centre adds on. Ask your college if you can take it there - it would be much the simplest and cheapest option.
curious!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
The exam board fees are £70-£90, the expensive bit is how much the centre adds on. Ask your college if you can take it there - it would be much the simplest and cheapest option.
I'll do that and ask the college. But when you say it's around £70-90 , is that per exam? And do you know how much the center generally adds on?
curious!
Rep:
?
(Original post by LearnOnline)
Most exam centres who take private candidates will charge around £50 per exam (remember there are a few in Maths) so it is worth speaking to your local exam centre and see if they can offer you a discount for purchasing them all.
Are you speaking from experience? And what about the exam board fees? Is that included?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll do that and ask the college. But when you say it's around £70-90 , is that per exam? And do you know how much the center generally adds on?
£70-90 in total, depending on the exam board.
Massively variable. We charge our ex students a £10 overall fee on top of the exam fees but if you go anywhere as a 'proper' external candidate then you can land up paying huge amounts - e.g. £50 per unit.
LearnOnline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you speaking from experience? And what about the exam board fees? Is that included?
We are an exam centre, so do have some "inside" information

We charge £50 per exam for external candidates
The A level Maths course is made up of a number of units and each unit has an exam, so for example if you wanted to resit your AS year, you would need to complete 3 units (C1, C2, M1) and sit 3 exams. The cost for this from us would be £50 per exam, £150 total.

You also need to consider the "cost" of studying as well as the exams. If you choose to learn with an online learning provider you will need to pay for the cost of that course too. If you are planning to study privately, you need to consider the costs of each text book is £17 - C1 Text book £16.99 (there are 6 books needed for the A level)

Whichever way you decide to learn, make a study plan and stick to it, Good Luck!
Psst.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LearnOnline)
We are an exam centre, so do have some "inside" information

We charge £50 per exam for external candidates
The A level Maths course is made up of a number of units and each unit has an exam, so for example if you wanted to resit your AS year, you would need to complete 3 units (C1, C2, M1) and sit 3 exams. The cost for this from us would be £50 per exam, £150 total.

You also need to consider the "cost" of studying as well as the exams. If you choose to learn with an online learning provider you will need to pay for the cost of that course too. If you are planning to study privately, you need to consider the costs of each text book is £17 - C1 Text book £16.99 (there are 6 books needed for the A level)

Whichever way you decide to learn, make a study plan and stick to it, Good Luck!
how would predicted grades happen if i chose to just sit exams by myself and learn by myself
jackski!!
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Psst.)
how would predicted grades happen if i chose to just sit exams by myself and learn by myself
B U M P
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jackski!!)
B U M P
If this for a centre assessed actual grade or a UCAS prediction?
Last edited by Compost; 1 month ago
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think it's a lot. I've heard it's around £200-300 but that may be incorrect.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
I don't think it's a lot. I've heard it's around £200-300 but that may be incorrect.
You're replying to a post 5 years old - previous modular spec etc. jackski!! dredged up the thread (please don't!) to ask an unrelated question, hence causing the confusion
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (151)
43.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.59%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.12%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed