Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do Urban areas experience more rain than rural areas ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHL)
    Why do Urban areas experience more rain than rural areas ?
    I didn't know that they did? I do know that there is more surface runoff in urban areas because rainfall cannot infiltrate through tarmac and concrete

ReputationRep:
    Yes its something to do with convection and pollution particulates/high rise buildings but I dont know exactly how it happens :-(

ReputationRep:
    For rain to form you need dust and stuff which there is more of in urban areas. The water binds with the dust to form condensation nuclei which means that rain is more frequent.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its not true, It just seems like it, but this is because water is intercepted more by vegetation in rural areas...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHL)
    Yes its something to do with convection and pollution particulates/high rise buildings but I dont know exactly how it happens :-(
    i should imagine (alhtough im not sure) that there are more hygroscopic nuclei in the atmosphere in urban areas due to increased amounts of pollution from various sources.. a larger amount of hygroscopic nuclei= greater surface area for water to condense on thus forming rain droplets..

however, i would think this would be cancelled out by the urban heat island theory.. urban area store up and give off heat from tarmac/concrete etc.. this would mean that the atmosphere is generally slightly warmer therefore the water particles in the air are LESS likely to become cold enough to condense and form rain droplets..

very confusing..

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.