Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm spending a third year at sixth form to study further maths, and to qualify as a 'full time student' I need to do a third subject alongside it, so I chose AS ICT.

I've already finished Maths, Physics and Art A-levels, so if any of you took a combination of these and ICT, how did you find it, and how hard are the exams compared to things like maths and physics?

Thanks
Jabberjay_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I were you I'd do something worth my time, ICT AS is utterly useless. I hear it's piss easy, and boring, and outdated.
Summer solace
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. yes it's boring

2. I can't talk about in comparison to Maths and Physics but all I know is WJEC AS ICT is okay if you just memorise the mark shemes from previous years and get an A in coursework which is easy to do.

My theory teacher expected us to do virtually all learning at home and I stopped revising (only about 1-2 hours a week even) from after january mocks and focused on my other subjects and got still got a B ( very low thou),(A in coursework, C in the exam ). So i'm sure its easy to get an A if put in a little effort. Granted this was for WJEC exam board I think OCR and AQA are harder.
Sorry if i'm not much help.
cnutuk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do it, and it is mind-numbing. Dry, useless facts are to be learned, as well as a lot of coursework. The theory is not challenging in any way. The coursework is pretty much following instructions, and depending on your tutor you may receive a lot of help and guidance that pretty much guarantees you an A, and for the exam I simply learned past mark schemes. An easy subject, but I would do anything to study something else. It is also on some university 'blacklists'.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Could you do an EPQ instead?

And don't forget if you do find ICT boring, and end up doing badly, you will still have to report your grades on UCAS...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Could you do an EPQ instead?

And don't forget if you do find ICT boring, and end up doing badly, you will still have to report your grades on UCAS...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was hoping i'd be able to but it wasn't enough to fill my timetable so i'm doing epq too now.

That's my worry but due to the changes to a levels and the way my college will teach the new course, I can't do chem or bio and I don't have an interest in any of the other subjects available which is why i'm considering photography but the woman who enrolled me said it would be better to do ICT as it fits in better with my other subjects and would give me more useful skills
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alex621)
I was hoping i'd be able to but it wasn't enough to fill my timetable so i'm doing epq too now.

That's my worry but due to the changes to a levels and the way my college will teach the new course, I can't do chem or bio and I don't have an interest in any of the other subjects available which is why i'm considering photography but the woman who enrolled me said it would be better to do ICT as it fits in better with my other subjects and would give me more useful skills
Tell her she's wrong (nicely!). Do photography. It's your education/life. Not hers...

Computing, perhaps. ICT, no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (489)
51.64%
No (458)
48.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed