Watch
This discussion is closed.
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey there,

The lovely football mods have been chatting with me about how we can make the football forum as good as possible for the new season!

We would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are/if you have any niggles you want sorted/ ideas you want implemented.

If you could answer the questions below we can start on making the football forum your dream forum, you don't need to answer them all and you can add in anything that is missing!

Thanks

1. What improvements/changes would you like to see in the Football forum?

2. Do you find the football forum easy to navigate?

3. When would you want a Euro Cup subforum?

4. Would you want specially designed football team avatars or user titles to represent your team with?

5. Do you want a general premier league discussion thread for non-major club games?

6. Would you be interested in running the Football Forum member awards again?

7. Do you know when threads for major games are ready or would you like a notification for this?

8. We would like to run a mega-competition in the football forum- what kind of competition would you want and what sort of prizes would you be interested in? (name 3 to give a good spread!)

9. Are there any technical problems in the football forum or things that put you off using the forum?

10. With match threads, do you think there are enough of these or would you like to see more?

11. What would you like to see happening in the football forum to make it even more enjoyable to be in than it is now?

(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
x
(Original post by sr90)
x
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Completed the ones which apply to me.

Yes.
I wouldn't. It's perfectly fine as it is.
4. Would you want specially designed football team avatars or user titles to represent your team with?
Meh. Not bothered. You'll get fans of smaller clubs complaining they aren't included.
5. Do you want a general premier league discussion thread for non-major club games?
We have a weekly thread which works, and sr90 usually sets it up.
Definitely. We did at Christmas, didn't we? I won Best Newcomer. Cheers, guys.
7. Do you know when threads for major games are ready or would you like a notification for this?
I know by looking. I generally get annoyed by notifications if they aren't quotes.
10. With match threads, do you think there are enough of these or would you like to see more?
More personally.
11. What would you like to see happening in the football forum to make it even more enjoyable to be in than it is now?
I'd like the idea of a weekly interview feature with a prominent member so we could get to know more about them. I know everybody's usernames, but I couldn't tell you what jam, Pimped, Zerf, Wilf, sr90, Sheddy, LP, Tornado etc's ages are, their interests, their politics etc.
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mackay)
Completed the ones which apply to me.

Yes.
I wouldn't. It's perfectly fine as it is.
Meh. Not bothered. You'll get fans of smaller clubs complaining they aren't included.
We have a weekly thread which works, and sr90 usually sets it up.
Definitely. We did at Christmas, didn't we? I won Best Newcomer. Cheers, guys.
I know by looking. I generally get annoyed by notifications if they aren't quotes.
More personally.

I'd like the idea of a weekly interview feature with a prominent member so we could get to know more about them. I know everybody's usernames, but I couldn't tell you what jam, Pimped, Zerf, Wilf, sr90, Sheddy, LP, Tornado etc's ages are, their interests, their politics etc.
I love that idea! Would you be up for doing one?
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At present, not a lot.
Yes.
We had one for the World Cup but tbh I think it would have been better without one.
Yeah why not. I think we had something similar before where this was visible on your post. Might be a bit of hassle finding all the crests though.
We have a main one already which is OK.
Yeah it's a good idea.
Couldn't hurt to try, sometimes I miss kick offs/matches because I didn't know they were happening. Maybe try it for a trial period and give users the choice of opting out.
Probably more..
There is not a lot I can think of really. Place runs pretty smoothly.

Queen Cersei
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
I love that idea! Would you be up for doing one?
Of course. If that's cool with sr90 and LP?

We could sticky the interview each week, and I'd do the rounds with various prominent members and it could provoke discussion.
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mackay)
Of course. If that's cool with sr90 and LP?

We could sticky the interview each week, and I'd do the rounds with various prominent members and it could provoke discussion.
Sounds good!

LP/sr90... this ok with you to run this? Would be great to see you guys featuring in this too!

(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
x
(Original post by sr90)
x
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeh I will do that. I would like to keep some degree of anonymity though and I know I won't be the only one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1) Can't think of any. Moderation could be better in some aspects.

2) Yeah

3) Nah

4) Don't see it as being necessary, we could just change our avatars & usertitles now if we wanted. And of course some clubs would be left out

5) We're alright with the weekly discussion threads

6) Yeah

7) I don't know, my match threads are the dogs *******s :cool:

8) I don't know but FA Cup final tickets would be pretty mint.

9) Shed

10) Should be more for the PL, I don't particularly like using club threads for match discussion

11) Mackay's idea was good

Queen Cersei
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by sr90)
Yeh I will do that. I would like to keep some degree of anonymity though and I know I won't be the only one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha I think it would be fair to exclude the more personal questions- there are things no one needs to know! Would you be cool to set up the Mackay one and I can do an announcement?
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by TornadoGR4)
1) Can't think of any. Moderation could be better in some aspects.

2) Yeah

3) Nah

4) Don't see it as being necessary, we could just change our avatars & usertitles now if we wanted. And of course some clubs would be left out

5) We're alright with the weekly discussion threads

6) Yeah

7) I don't know, my match threads are the dogs *******s :cool:

8) I don't know but FA Cup final tickets would be pretty mint.

9) Shed

10) Should be more for the PL, I don't particularly like using club threads for match discussion

11) Mackay's idea was good

Queen Cersei
Thanks for your replies

Which parts of moderation would you like to improve? Perhaps relax the going off-topic stuff or is it other bits?

Interestingly most people so far have said more match threads so this is defo something we can do

I'm excited for Mackay's idea too, I see sr90 is straight on it!

I have contacted football clubs about possibility of tickets, signed shirts etc so will have to wait and see what I hear back!
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
Thanks for your replies

Which parts of moderation would you like to improve? Perhaps relax the going off-topic stuff or is it other bits?

Interestingly most people so far have said more match threads so this is defo something we can do

I'm excited for Mackay's idea too, I see sr90 is straight on it!

I have contacted football clubs about possibility of tickets, signed shirts etc so will have to wait and see what I hear back!
I can tell you now, Leeds United won't give you anything.

I've just noticed moderation can be inconsistent at times. Sometimes you'll get carded for a minor offence and other times a worse offence will be let go. I think most things should be let slide unless it's genuinely nasty, which 99% of the time it isn't
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
**** sake didn't realise Mackay left some out, I just copied his post. To answer these:

8. We would like to run a mega-competition in the football forum- what kind of competition would you want and what sort of prizes would you be interested in? (name 3 to give a good spread!)

Would have to be football related & depends on budget but memorabilia, match tickets (this will be a problem for some clubs as well as cost far too much) & books about my club, anything like that. I imagine PES/FIFA would be a popular choice as well but you'd need to know which console.

Prediction based competitions are good but I will have a think about this as we kinda already do them.

9. Are there any technical problems in the football forum or things that put you off using the forum?

Yeah, the app is bad and you have to keep going to the main site instead of just out of the forum and into the sub forum you want, and also on my phone if I use the full site, the page loads and then skips up a bit so 95% of the time you click a thread you didn't want to go in, which uses up data and is also annoying.

So some improvements to either the app or the website would be good.
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
(Original post by TornadoGR4)
I can tell you now, Leeds United won't give you anything.

I've just noticed moderation can be inconsistent at times. Sometimes you'll get carded for a minor offence and other times a worse offence will be let go. I think most things should be let slide unless it's genuinely nasty, which 99% of the time it isn't
If we don't have any luck I am sure we could try and get one big prize to go over the whole season instead of a bunch of small ones? It depends on what you guys would be more interested in?

A lot of the time it will depend on what gets reported, so if no one reports the worse offence it is more likely to be let go- however, we definitely don't want inconsistency and will take this on board and work on it
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've got no problem with it. It used to be like that in here, but I don't think I've had a card or anything in this part of the forum for well over a year and I've posted stuff that would have got me reminders in other sections. This is the most lenient section of TSR (and the atmosphere is better for it).
The Shed End
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

It's good, certainly better than other parts of the forum and mods let you get away with more - they understand the banter most of the time.

Yup

I think a stickied thread at the top for the Euro's would be good, similar to the Misc thread. Champions League/Europa League don't need it.

Yes but only if you want it, shouldn't be mandatory. Can see certain people whinging if their club isn't on it - Tornado

No. Small clubs aren't important lel

Yes

Maybe a countdown on the first page of every club thread to their next game would be good, not sure how difficult it would be to implement. Might be good to have links on the righ hand side of the main football page with a list of upcoming fixtures - links to the likes of the PL/FL/UCL main sites where people can get more info if they want.

Maybe a mix of fun and serious-ish quizzes or challenges. The CL quiz that someone posted earlier was challenging and prompted some good discussions about players from the past. But i think most people here can handle more light-hearted stuff as well.

Tornado
Poor modding at times, where threats, personal attacks aren't always dealt with, certain users being/not being banned unfairly/without good reason

More for the big TV games - not sure every club game needs them.

Ban Tornado
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Yeah, the app is bad and you have to keep going to the main site instead of just out of the forum and into the sub forum you want, and also on my phone if I use the full site, the page loads and then skips up a bit so 95% of the time you click a thread you didn't want to go in, which uses up data and is also annoying.

So some improvements to either the app or the website would be good.
You can set football as a shortcut. Not on my phone atm but i've done this.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Fantasy football - we already run a league and thread and there's a lot of activity based on it. A few members have tried a cash league to add extra incentive but would be nice if TSR gave a prize to the top 3 finishers?

Drafts - we've run draft games in the past, again prizes for that wouldn't be too bad. Shouldn't be done too often as it is very time consuming so I think people get fatigue from it.

On a side note, I think people used to try and do footie meets in the past but don't know what the attitude towards that is these days.
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Awesome insights here.

edit: jam277 difeo Rk2k14 hayles101 neal95 little_wizard123 Zurich swirly Stefano93 Gob Bluth Pimped Butterfly pls answer :puppyeyes:

Just tagged these guys from the top of my head. Everyone in!
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Ability to temp-ban certain users from specific threads.

Yes.

A few weeks before the first game kicks off.

Yes.

Yes, but it would turn into a discussion of major club games anyway due to the fan ratios on this site.

Perhaps yeah, although it might turn into bullying/a circlejerk.

Presumably an hour before kick-off, so no need.

Fantasy Premier League, Predictions, or design (maybe something like best fan-made kit or crest).

Nope.

Match-threads are a bit temperamental, sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't.

More actual discussion, less 'banter' (aka trolling). Perhaps a 'rumour' subforum/thread.
swirly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I propose a spin off of the FF from the main website, coupled with an IPO, perhaps on the AIM dependent on market capitalisation.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (113)
28.18%
No - I have already returned home (52)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
19.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.73%
No - I live at home during term anyway (117)
29.18%

Watched Threads