How hard is French GCSE? Watch

EternalKiss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ok so one GCSE im taking is GCSE French. What is included, how hard is it and what are some great ways of revising it?
maestrocam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you learn all the vocab from the beginning then the reading and listening tests will be really easy Make sure to memorise your writing and speaking well!! (These are controlled assessments). You can find lists on Memrise (memrise.com). Make sure you search for your board (e.g. AQA, OCR etc.). If you really want to do well and you're considering doing it at A Level then you can stary listening to French radio once you're listening starts to improve But... I just realised they're changing GCSE slightly ( I think) so the format may be slightly different this year...

Good luck!
Punkrockfan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
easiest thing ever, A* w minimal revision.
learn all your vocabularly. my teacher gave us a booklet w probably around 4000 words - didnt take long to learn it.
do well on your writing and speaking coursework - MEMORISE IT EARLY ON.
MrMBrown
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just learn vocabulary and memorise the corusework. It's easy! 😃😃
shezshez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess it depends how well you speak French.
CleverGirl383
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
French (or any language) is a great subject to take at GCSE because 60% of the marks are based on your Speaking and Writing assessments which you can easily get A* or full marks on if you spend time learning them. Then you only have to get a grade C/B on the written paper to get a good grade overall like an A or B. French vocab is very similar to English which makes it a lot easier to learn but also harder because you lose marks for writing a French word in an English way, like missing the accent of the French word "décision" and writing an English word. Just make sure you learn the words that are almost identical to English so you don't make mistakes. French vocabulary is quite easy overall as long as you spend a lot of time memorising new words. The grammar is very similar to English but nouns have genders which you have to learn and affects the spelling of certain words and the words for 'the' and 'a' etc. French verbs are quite difficult though because many common ones are irregular. The different tenses take a while to understand how to form them but it's not too hard. Overall, it's a fun GCSE which you can do well on as long as you ace the assessments, learn vocabulary as you go along and recap the grammar you've learnt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19

Do you give blood?