The Student Room Group

Jobs to do after a Maths Degree

Hi guys, this is my first TSR post :smile:

I'm going to be studying Maths at Oxford starting in October. I will either leave with a BA in Mathematics or a MMath or MMathPhys. I want to know what careers I can pursue after university.

My ideal career would be something which benefits society, is fun and doesn't involve lots of hours or lots of stress but pays a good amount (enough to live comfortably/ support a family)

I plan to go in to teaching when I'm 35-40 onwards, but am looking for a career to pursue between 21-35 that pays well and is rewarding!

Many Thanks!!
:biggrin:

Edit: I have done some research but am still unsure, so would appreciate advice!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by confused-mathmo
Hi guys, this is my first TSR post :smile:

I'm going to be studying Maths at Oxford starting in October. I will either leave with a BA in Mathematics or a MMath or MMathPhys. I want to know what careers I can pursue after university.

My ideal career would be something which benefits society, is fun and doesn't involve lots of hours or lots of stress but pays a good amount (enough to live comfortably/ support a family)

I plan to go in to teaching when I'm 35-40 onwards, but am looking for a career to pursue between 21-35 that pays well and is rewarding!

Many Thanks!!
:biggrin:

Just replying because I am interested in the options people give you, I hope thats okay :smile:

I am studying discrete maths at Warwick and the only answers I seem to get are banking/finance and research :/ Hoping for some inspiration!
Original post by mathematigeek
Just replying because I am interested in the options people give you, I hope thats okay :smile:

I am studying discrete maths at Warwick and the only answers I seem to get are banking/finance and research :/ Hoping for some inspiration!

Same, hoping someone comes along telling us about a cool job he/she does and really enjoys:smile:
I can't remember the details or much actually but my old maths teacher used to work at a car firm or something, i don't know if he was some sort of fiancial person but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already, i hope if helps i know there isn't much information and i can't give anymore so sorry if it doesn't.
I've recently finished my maths degree at Imperial, and I'll soon be starting out as a Graduate Area Manager for Aldi.

What I found when applying for grad schemes/jobs is that employers care more about your skills and experiences, and less about your subject area. The good thing is that a maths degree gives you skills that can be applied in many areas, and so it gives you several career options. Just do some research and you might find something you like the look of. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Indeterminate
I've recently finished my maths degree at Imperial, and I'll soon be starting out as a Graduate Area Manager for Aldi.

What I found when applying for grad schemes/jobs is that employers care more about your skills and experiences, and less about your subject area. The good thing is that a maths degree gives you skills that can be applied in many areas, and so it gives you several career options. Just do some research and you might find something you like the look of. :smile:

Wow that seems like a really cool graduate scheme to get into, how difficult was it to get in? Any other careers you looked at, or similar careers you know of?

Thanks!
Original post by confused-mathmo
Wow that seems like a really cool graduate scheme to get into, how difficult was it to get in? Any other careers you looked at, or similar careers you know of?

Thanks!

Tbh it was more stressful than difficult as there are several stages to the recruitment process.

Here are a few other companies that I applied to:

Mercedes-Benz
Rolls Royce
Volkswagen Group
EY
British Airways
EDF Energy
John Lewis

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCHQ
Reply 8
Investment banking, professional services, actuarial, management consultancy, civil service, IT companies are just some you could pick from. Honestly, experience matters more than anything so if you have something to genuinely talk about in the "Tell me about a time when..." interview questions, then that really makes a difference.
I have in the past been given offers from and/or worked for the Big 4, an investment bank in NYC, an educational charity and various smaller jobs e.g. summer schools, tutoring.

I'd recommend the Graduate Area Manager for Aldi job if you want to sell yourself, have no life and hardly any sleep. Then again, people only do it for 2-3 years before they burn out and get replaced don't they, that's the point in the scheme.
I think it's important to think about whether you want to do a job that uses content from your degree (for instance: finance, statistical civil service stream, mathematical modelling for the Met Office or energy firms, video game programming/computer animation, actuarial work, public health analyst, etc.) or jobs that require skills from your degree (for instance: management consultancy, IT companies, Law, some graduate schemes).

I'd recommend dropping by the Oxford Careers Service (or at least taking a look at their website) which has information about a whole range of job profiles, as well as information about what alumni from different degrees have gone on to do. Also, remember that their careers advice is for life, so even if you don't make any use of them during your degree, you can always ask them for advice later.

A good way of finding out whether you'd enjoy working in a particular area is to do internships. You've got over three months in the summer, as well as six weeks at Easter, so you can easily fit in three long internships over the course of your degree.
I am going into second year and I have no idea if I will lucky enough to do it what I plan to do but I heard that it is possible. If you are applied mathematician like I am and you like physics as it seems that you do as well take a lot of modules related to calculus, physics of motion and some of probability or statistics. In next summer holiday I will try look for engineering companies they need mathematicians that knows how to formulate differential equations multivariable calculus etc. I know someone who works in air forces thanks to physics dynamics. It's mind blowing aspect but if you like it as I do then you can take this route. I hope that I am right.
Things which match your descriptions somewhat:

GCHQ
MI5
Mathematical modelling in research.

I have a friend who's trying to get into mathematics modelling for pharmaceutical companies.

Quick Reply

Latest