The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Any hope for honours in my position?

Howdy

After a few bumps and bruises I'm able to progress to stage 3 for my Mathematical studies course.

Stage 1 120 credits
Stage 2 80 credits after failing one 20 credit module and I'll be repeating another 20 credit module in stage 3 for my final year.

I ended up failing one module even after repeating the darn thing =/
The exam just seemed to kill me... (224MSE Algebra and Graphs the resit exam I failed by 3% and my coursework was decent therefore my overall mark is 40%) But since both components need to be passed it is regarded as a fail.

I can progress to stage 3 but apparently I can only get an ordinary/unclassified degree now as I need 360 credits for honours. If I buckle down I can still achieve 340 credits with the remainder. That'll bring my stage 1 and 3 to 120 credits each and my stage 2 to 100.

Right now I'm a bit distraught. My backup plan is I can go for Open university to make up for my mistake and start doing some professional exams to become an actuary while I earn myself a better degree using the credit transfer. Most employers want atleast 2.1 degree.

But I'd rather not have to deal with another year to make up for this. It's a bit of a do or die situation for me and I want to make sure my final year modules will the best I've ever done to make up for this failure.

Has anyone been in a similar situation where a 20 credit module at stage 2 is marked as a fail. Will they condone it once they see how my stage 3 grades (hopefully up to a 2.1 standard) are with the 340 credits at the end of my course and award me honours?

I called the registry and was told I can't get up to an honours but I haven't spoken with my course director on my options yet since he hasn't responded to my emails. When I come back in September I'll still check with them on what I can do of course.
There must be some way I can get an honours with 340 credits isn't there? I want to finish what I started.

Thanks in advance
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest