Klovu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am considering Surrey, Nottingham, Bristol, York and Southampton for Economics. Any suggestions?
Revise1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For economics: Bristol/Nottingham, followed closely by York.

All three are well respected with strong graduate prospects.
Klovu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Wouldn't Surrey be included in that too
Flather
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You may not have asked in the best place but I'd say Bristol, Nottingham and York are all about the same, Southampton and Surrey are similar and slightly less reputable
University of York
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Al_10)
I am considering Surrey, Nottingham, Bristol, York and Southampton for Economics. Any suggestions?
Hi there,

Obviously we would recommend York :-)
  • Our programme is brand new, redesigned only two years ago
  • Our teaching will expose you not just to mainstream ideas but also to more heterodox approaches such as experimental economics and political economy
  • All of our lecturers are researchers; this range of research interests allows us to deliver a wide choice of modules in the third year
  • We are the standout place for Health Economics.
If you have any more questions about our Economics programme or York in general, please do get in touch.

Thanks,

Helen
Maskelyne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=University of York;58724015]Hi there,

Hello
Could you tell me whether in an application for Economics, you would consider it 'too narrow a range' of subjects to offer Economics, Maths and Further maths at A2?

AS levels are Economics (98 %) , Further maths (c1-4, D1-2 so far, average UMS 95.5 %) and Physics (96.5%).

There are 3 possible options for A2- 1. Give up physics- but would this be a disadvantage? 2- take further maths to As rather than A2 with maths at A2, although I feel maths is stronger than my physics or 3- take all 4 subjects to A2- would there be any advantage in this?

Thanks
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Notts > Bristol > York for Economics.

Southampton and Surrey are less reputable but still good.

Unless you intend to pursue a career in IB or Magic Circle Law, it isn't going to make much of a difference where you study out of these institutions so go for the one you like best.
mizzsnazzter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bristol > Nottingham > York = Southampton > Surrey

Although with grades like that you should really consider Oxbridge! & if you don't mind London you could also consider LSE too.

With regards to Physics or Further Maths, I don't think it will affect your chances to be honest as both are numerate well respected subjects, so go for the one you enjoy the most. (I took Maths, Physics and Economics and graduated from Bristol Economics)

Alternative choice - Could you take all 4 to A2 level?
Maskelyne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mizzsnazzter)
Bristol > Nottingham > York = Southampton > Surrey

Although with grades like that you should really consider Oxbridge! & if you don't mind London you could also consider LSE too.

With regards to Physics or Further Maths, I don't think it will affect your chances to be honest as both are numerate well respected subjects, so go for the one you enjoy the most. (I took Maths, Physics and Economics and graduated from Bristol Economics)

Alternative choice - Could you take all 4 to A2 level?
Thanks
I'm also looking at Bristol, Nottingham and possibly Cambridge, I need two other options though, possibly with lower entry requirements in case it all goes horribly wrong next year.
Could you tell me how much of the Bristol course is coursework/ dissertation based?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (15)
68.18%
No (7)
31.82%

Watched Threads