The Student Room Group

The jump

I'm awaiting my GCSE results for Thursday, and I feel confident. I did 12 subjects in total which I started revising 3 months before hand, 2.5 hours per night and 5 on the weekend days. I've picked Spanish, Sociology, IT, and Music Technology for AS level... Is that about of revision going to be good for those subjects? Or do I need to do more? I've got A*s in all my Spanish GCSE coursework, which is my best subject and comes naturally, as does Music Tech which comes very easily to me. I've not done IT or Sociology before. Help?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's entirely down to your strengths. You will likely have to revise more, yes, but that's the nature of A-levels. However if you're finding things easy at that current level of revision, you know you're more than capable.

For example, if I was to study Sociology having no interest or desire to learn more about the subject, I would say I would have to study more than the average person, just to overcome my own 'barrier of entry'. However in your case it could be completely different.

The initial increase in expected knowledge and work given could be a shock, or it could be something that comes naturally with your revision at GCSE. In my case, I didn't want to do A-levels and didn't care at all about GCSE's, so I never opened a book as soon as I got home (For GCSE's), all I did was pay attention in class (For the most part). Following this, when I started AS, I noticed immediately the increase in workload and the expectations teachers have of you. So to me, the jump was significant, but again, entirely objective (Based on past revision and subjects).

I wish you the best of luck!
Original post by LividLion
It's entirely down to your strengths. You will likely have to revise more, yes, but that's the nature of A-levels. However if you're finding things easy at that current level of revision, you know you're more than capable.

For example, if I was to study Sociology having no interest or desire to learn more about the subject, I would say I would have to study more than the average person, just to overcome my own 'barrier of entry'. However in your case it could be completely different.

The initial increase in expected knowledge and work given could be a shock, or it could be something that comes naturally with your revision at GCSE. In my case, I didn't want to do A-levels and didn't care at all about GCSE's, so I never opened a book as soon as I got home (For GCSE's), all I did was pay attention in class (For the most part). Following this, when I started AS, I noticed immediately the increase in workload and the expectations teachers have of you. So to me, the jump was significant, but again, entirely objective (Based on past revision and subjects).

I wish you the best of luck!

This is really helpful, thank you! Do you mean if I find GCSEs early at that level? Thanks! You too with whatever you have ahead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Just want to back the other poster up. I did barely any revision for my GCSE's and came out with 4 A's, 6 B's and a C (in art -.-). I did barely any revision for AS exams - naively and came out with God awful grades. A Levels require effort and hard work and they're definitely a step up from GCSE's.

I found the step up from GCSE's to A Level's to be bigger than the jump from my A Levels to the first year of my degree - which I've just completed. Definitely studying subjects you love and enjoy will come in handy; I found revision for Psychology to not feel like revision which is always helpful; whereas revision for Religious Studies (something I was reasonably good at but didn't find as interesting as Psychology) was much more difficult
Reply 4
Original post by jasminwinthrop
I'm awaiting my GCSE results for Thursday, and I feel confident. I did 12 subjects in total which I started revising 3 months before hand, 2.5 hours per night and 5 on the weekend days. I've picked Spanish, Sociology, IT, and Music Technology for AS level... Is that about of revision going to be good for those subjects? Or do I need to do more? I've got A*s in all my Spanish GCSE coursework, which is my best subject and comes naturally, as does Music Tech which comes very easily to me. I've not done IT or Sociology before. Help?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A in AS Spanish with literally 0 hours revision. Obviously you're on your own in speaking and listening, but throw in some pluperfect and subjunctive in the writing and know irregular verbs and your tenses and you will be absolutely fine.
Original post by Deyesy
Just want to back the other poster up. I did barely any revision for my GCSE's and came out with 4 A's, 6 B's and a C (in art -.-). I did barely any revision for AS exams - naively and came out with God awful grades. A Levels require effort and hard work and they're definitely a step up from GCSE's.

I found the step up from GCSE's to A Level's to be bigger than the jump from my A Levels to the first year of my degree - which I've just completed. Definitely studying subjects you love and enjoy will come in handy; I found revision for Psychology to not feel like revision which is always helpful; whereas revision for Religious Studies (something I was reasonably good at but didn't find as interesting as Psychology) was much more difficult

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bataille
I got an A in AS Spanish with literally 0 hours revision. Obviously you're on your own in speaking and listening, but throw in some pluperfect and subjunctive in the writing and know irregular verbs and your tenses and you will be absolutely fine.

Awesome, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lahmejacks
This is really helpful, thank you! Do you mean if I find GCSEs early at that level? Thanks! You too with whatever you have ahead.

No problem! Yeah well a good way to look at it is if you can manage revising for 10 or more subjects and find yourself to be on top of all of that then the jump from GCSE to AS will not be near as big than for someone who did nothing. There is a change of pace no doubt but it 100% can be managed.
No problem! Yeah well a good way to look at it is if you can manage revising for 10 or more subjects and find yourself to be on top of all of that then the jump from GCSE to AS will not be near as big than for someone who did nothing. There is a change of pace no doubt but it 100% can be managed.

That's made me feel a lot more confident :smile: thank you! Results day tomorrow skakxkajxos

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's made me feel a lot more confident :smile: thank you! Results day tomorrow skakxkajxos

Glad to help :smile: It'll go great, be confident in your abilities, the amount you revised will reflect your grades! Best of luck! :smile:
Glad to help :smile: It'll go great, be confident in your abilities, the amount you revised will reflect your grades! Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you :smile: to be honest, I'm not even nervous for the fact that I'll fail because I know I can retake, it'll be the frustration of if I DO fail, I've put in all the work for nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile

So rude of me not to ask, how have your results gone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile: to be honest, I'm not even nervous for the fact that I'll fail because I know I can retake, it'll be the frustration of if I DO fail, I've put in all the work for nothing

You won't fail! There are plenty of exam days to come, so the more confidence you instill in yourself earlier on, the better in the long run :smile:

So rude of me not to ask, how have your results gone?

For GCSE or AS/A2?

Well at GCSE I got 5 B's, 3 C's and a D (As explained above as to why that is :P) At AS I got a BCC in ICT, Health and Social and Psychology. and at A2 I got ABC in ICT, Health and Social and Psychology. I'm pleased enough with them if I'm honest :smile:

Next year though I want you to quote me with your 3 A's. I'm expecting it :P
You won't fail! There are plenty of exam days to come, so the more confidence you instill in yourself earlier on, the better in the long run :smile:

For GCSE or AS/A2?

Well at GCSE I got 5 B's, 3 C's and a D (As explained above as to why that is :P) At AS I got a BCC in ICT, Health and Social and Psychology. and at A2 I got ABC in ICT, Health and Social and Psychology. I'm pleased enough with them if I'm honest :smile:

Next year though I want you to quote me with your 3 A's. I'm expecting it :P

Thanks :smile: well I know I've tried my very best so. Aw wow that's great! Haha:P I'll try:smile: my predictions for tomorrow based on mocks and how the exams went and boundaries are 3 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs, 2 C's and 1 D but that's probably wrong hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully that's not cocky to predict a* :/ !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks :smile: well I know I've tried my very best so. Aw wow that's great! Haha:P I'll try:smile: my predictions for tomorrow based on mocks and how the exams went and boundaries are 3 A*s, 4 As, 2 Bs, 2 C's and 1 D but that's probably wrong hahah

Well remember to come back and tell us all :smile:
Well remember to come back and tell us all :smile:

I will! Off to sleep... This time in 10 hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest