Dance40
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I just wondered if any current/past students studying Psychology at uni can advise, if they felt their GSCE in Maths was useful when studying?
I only have a C in Maths taken a few years ago and I'm wondering if I'll feel behind when studying.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
o-glez
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dance40)
I just wondered if any current/past students studying Psychology at uni can advise, if they felt their GSuCE in Maths was useful when studying?
I only have a C in Maths taken a few years ago and I'm wondering if I'll feel behind when studying.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I scraped a C in maths but I survived in my psychology degree haha. I guess the statistics and research methods in a psychology degree seems a lot more practical and relevant. As a GCSE student, I didn't see the value in learning about Pythagoras. But determining which statistical test you will need to employ in a research study seems very important to me. I wouldn't worry about it. Everybody starts with a basic or little knowledge of stats in the first year of uni anyway.
Daniellecorni5h
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just wondered if any current/past students studying Psychology at uni can advise, if they felt their GSCE in Maths was useful when studying?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't worry too much. You might just find you need to work a little harder at stats than some of the other topics. Also stats exams tend to have a least some multiple choice so people tend to do better than they expect!
Dance40
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Daniellecorni5h)
I wouldn't worry too much. You might just find you need to work a little harder at stats than some of the other topics. Also stats exams tend to have a least some multiple choice so people tend to do better than they expect!
Thank you, I'm just concerned as I did my GCSE's in 2009 and finished my last A Level in 2012, do you think I would pick up studying again or would it be easier if I took this year to get back into studying again?

Thanks
o-glez
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you, I'm just concerned as I did my GCSE's in 2009 and finished my last A Level in 2012, do you think I would pick up studying again or would it be easier if I took this year to get back into studying again?

Thanks
On my course, there was quite a few mature students who hadn't studied for 20 years and they coped.
You could buy a statistics and research methods book to familiarise yourself. I'd recommend anything by Andy Field. In your first year of a psychology degree you'll cover things like levels of data, correlation, the difference qualitative and quantitative methods, T-test, one way ANOVA, and Levenes test. Those would be good things to look at.
Daniellecorni5h
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I agree with o-glez. If you're interested enough in psychology, you'll get through the maths bits even if they're your least favourite.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed