Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    we all get told that to lie is wrong but is it wrong to tell a 3 year old that santa is real???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godthebuilder)
    we all get told that to lie is wrong but is it wrong to tell a 3 year old that santa is real???
    santa is real!

ReputationRep:
    that is rather profound for a Sunday afternoon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    santa is real!
    true

ReputationRep:
    i am doing it as an R.E project soz but i need your responses people only you can save my butt

ReputationRep:
    all lies are right

ReputationRep:
    i am doing it as an R.E project soz but i need your responses people only you can save my butt
    i dont think little white lies are wrong. if your making someone feel better its ok. but major lying is wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    all lies are right
    really? is this right?

The wolf is a looser and has no friends, he also fantisises about naked men

ReputationRep:
    thank you tell everyone to answer please

ReputationRep:
    Well... I've never lied

ReputationRep:
    god you may have more luck if you post this in the academic section and title the thread RE help-is lying wrong?

ReputationRep:
    it always depends
    if u lie to a child that santa is real then ur makin them feel good etc etc
    also if say u lie to ur parents about something, its okay coz if they knew the truth they might feel hurt and dissapointed in you
    lying in many circumstances is wrong but there are exceptions!

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether you consider lying in itself an "evil" act, or whether you reject lying (in principle), because in most cases it has negative consequences.

So, basically it all comes down to a fundamental ethical question:

Do we judge the moral value of an action by the nature of the action itself, or by its consequences?

I think it's fine unless of course it's something major. People lie all the time when somebody asks if your alright even when your not you say yeah a majority of the time etc, it's too common to call wrong.

ReputationRep:
    its ok sometimes i think but u must think of what harm it might do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    Well... I've never lied
    And I live without sin. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well since they have to know sometimes, why allow them to cling to their dillusion for longer, it is the same with the tooth fairy.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.