Turn on thread page Beta

BIO: How does respiration contribute to the resting potential in neurones? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am very stuck on this question, and I dont even reckon it makes any sense. Although, I am obviously missing something....

The actual question is:
    Explain the roles of respiration in maintaining a resting potential across neurones

Please help thanks

ReputationRep:
    I suppose its not much but I'll have a stab at it:

ATP is needed in order to actively pump out sodium ions out of the axon to the point where there are 3 sodium ions outside the axon for every two potassium ions inside. In this way a resting potential of -40mV is achieved across the membrane. The ATP to power this, is derived from respiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResidentEvil)
    Hi, I am very stuck on this question, and I dont even reckon it makes any sense. Although, I am obviously missing something....

The actual question is:
    Explain the roles of respiration in maintaining a resting potential across neurones

Please help thanks
    The resting potential is maintained by the effect of the sodium potassium pump, which acts actively. The energy for active transport is provided in the form of ATP, which is generated through respiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cipapfatso)
    I suppose its not much but I'll have a stab at it:

ATP is needed in order to actively pump out sodium ions out of the axon to the point where there are 3 sodium ions outside the axon for every two potassium ions inside. In this way a resting potential of -40mV is achieved across the membrane. The ATP to power this, is derived from respiration.
    Good, but not quite accurate - the Na/K ATPase pumps 3 Na out for every 2 K in, but they are not actually in that ratio across the membrane. Actual concentrations are something like K: 150mM inside, 4mM outside; Na: 5mM inside, 140-150mM outside. And RP can go down to at least -60mV

ReputationRep:
    so to summarise: Respiration provides energy ATP to activate the sodium potassium pumps in neurones?

What about the voltage-gated channels? are they too activated by ATP?

ReputationRep:
    No, they are activated by a stimulus (i think!)

ReputationRep:
    so to summarise: Respiration provides energy ATP to activate the sodium potassium pumps in neurones?

No, they are voltage-gated. That means that the probability of their being open at any one time is a function of the voltage across the membrane. Nowt to do with ATP.

ReputationRep:
    OMG i am so confused.

Lemme traceback................

Resting potential we have 3 sodiums pumping out and 2 potassium pumping in through K+ and Na+ channels using ATP, whilst potassium diffuses slower than sodium, causing a more negative charge inside the neurone.

Next, when a stimulus arrives it initiates an electrical potential difference causing voltage-gated channels of Na to open depolarising the membrane etc....

But how does the stimulus alter the voltage in the first place?????????

ReputationRep:
    please visit http://www.uk-learning.net/t46063.html for more bio questions!

ReputationRep:
    OMG i am so confused.

Lemme traceback................

Resting potential we have 3 sodiums pumping out and 2 potassium pumping in through K+ and Na+ channels using ATP, whilst potassium diffuses slower than sodium, causing a more negative charge inside the neurone.

Next, when a stimulus arrives it initiates an electrical potential difference causing voltage-gated channels of Na to open depolarising the membrane etc....

But how does the stimulus alter the voltage in the first place?????????
    Ok...at resting potential, the membrane is slightly permeable to potassium and basically impermeable to sodium. Potassium ions would, therefore, move out of the cell, but this is (as far as you need to know, anyway) opposed by the pump, which maintains the voltage difference.

Stimulating the nerve electrically results in a brief inward current of sodium ions, as the voltage gated channels open transiently. This alters the membrane potential (depolarisation) and as the depolarisation spreads outwards, it opens more Na channels, so the AP is propagated. It's complicated stuff, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    this is for A2 isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Ok...at resting potential, the membrane is slightly permeable to potassium and basically impermeable to sodium. Potassium ions would, therefore, move out of the cell, but this is (as far as you need to know, anyway) opposed by the pump, which maintains the voltage difference.

Stimulating the nerve electrically results in a brief inward current of sodium ions, as the voltage gated channels open transiently. This alters the membrane potential (depolarisation) and as the depolarisation spreads outwards, it opens more Na channels, so the AP is propagated. It's complicated stuff, I'm afraid.
    yeah ok that makes more sense now, its just u were a bit vague and unclear previously.

What biology board are u with?

ReputationRep:
    yeah ok that makes more sense now, its just u were a bit vague and unclear previously.

What biology board are u with?
    Sorry, it's fluffy stuff as it is, hard to be precise without going into unnecessary detail. I did OCR, but I'm a first year medic now, so have done nerve conduction in more detail in Physiology lectures.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.