Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Beatles watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    tbh i dont get the fascination.

ive downloaded a few of their tracks to see how good they are.. and i cant hear anything particularly special. i mean, yellow submarine? what the hell?

while my guitar gently weeps is quite good, but i prefer the dj dangermouse remix.

maybe im not listening to the best tracks or something? so anyone? point me in teh right direction! danke!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert but apparently the album revolver is supposed to be good.

ReputationRep:
    Here Comes the Sun
    Something
    A Day in the Life
    In My Life

Try some of those - less poppy than their older stuff, might be more up your street if you like While My Guitar Gently Weeps. They're my favourites anyway, along with While My Guitar Gently Weeps

ReputationRep:
    Just buy Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band, The White Album, Revolver and then The Red and Blue albums. That will basically give you everything you need to get started. If you still don't like them after that then they're really not the band for you.

ReputationRep:
    don't take songs like 'yellow submarine' seriosuly, Ringo sung it for crying out loud

Beatles are amazing

ReputationRep:
    I'm indiferent, some of their stuff is brilliant, but they are over rated now. In the early 1960's they were unique, but now there is nothing really unique about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I'm indiferent, some of their stuff is brilliant, but they are over rated now. In the early 1960's they were unique, but now there is nothing really unique about it.
    But surely that signifies their brilliance? If you think there isn't mkuch unique about them then it shows that they have had such an influence on so many other bands that their sound and style has become standard. You can hear their influence in so many places that it may lose its uniqueness, but not its class.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the only reason they are not unique anymore is because they have influenced so many bands

mainly bands like Stone Roses and Oasis

and then you get millions of other indie bands that rip off oasis....

ReputationRep:
    i think they'regood for what they are..alright they're totally different from my usual taste, but i'm not ashamed to say that i still listen to them every now and then.
    besides the one thing i know about my funeral is that a beatles song will be played as the one i've chosen is just great!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    tbh i dont get the fascination.

ive downloaded a few of their tracks to see how good they are.. and i cant hear anything particularly special. i mean, yellow submarine? what the hell?

while my guitar gently weeps is quite good, but i prefer the dj dangermouse remix.

maybe im not listening to the best tracks or something? so anyone? point me in teh right direction! danke!
    Get their Number 1s album - it has all their best songs on it, like "I wanna hold your hand" and "Eight days a week" along with some other classics (excluding Penny Lane, which I just find irritating!).

Yeah, I'm with you about Yellow Submarine... but as someone said, I spose we're not meant to take it too seriously lol

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles, hmm yeah not bad really eh?

I agree with Pinball Wizard,

Sergant Pepper's LHCB is my personal favourite and a must have really, and then the Red and Blue best ofs' 1962-66 and 1967-70 really sum it all up.

Other studio albums that you may want to look at are Rubber Soul and Revolver, both absolute class.

Also film soundtracks a Hard Day's Night and Help! include some of their most well known stuff, the films are brilliant as well.

Beatles best songs i would have to say are:
    In my life
    Day in the life
    Norwegian Wood
    Something
    Let it be
    She's leaving home
    While my guitar gently weeps
    Yesterday
    I am the walrus
    Hey Jude

Probably have missed out lots there but off the top of my head not a bad list. To be honest it's all good, and the good thing really is you can pick and choose from all their back catalogue quite easily finding whatever you want. Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles are fantastic.

but maybe thats cos i'm from Liverpool and i grew up listenig to them.

ReputationRep:
    I think Helter Skelter, Here Comes The Sun and Revolution 1 need mentioning! Also I do think that Joe Cocker's version of With a Little Help From My Friends eclipses the original, but that's really for the covers thread I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    The Beatles, hmm yeah not bad really eh?

I agree with Pinball Wizard,

Sergant Pepper's LHCB is my personal favourite and a must have really, and then the Red and Blue best ofs' 1962-66 and 1967-70 really sum it all up.

Other studio albums that you may want to look at are Rubber Soul and Revolver, both absolute class.

Also film soundtracks a Hard Day's Night and Help! include some of their most well known stuff, the films are brilliant as well.

Beatles best songs i would have to say are:
    In my life
    Day in the life
    Norwegian Wood
    Something
    Let it be
    She's leaving home
    While my guitar gently weeps
    Yesterday
    I am the walrus
    Hey Jude

Probably have missed out lots there but off the top of my head not a bad list. To be honest it's all good, and the good thing really is you can pick and choose from all their back catalogue quite easily finding whatever you want. Enjoy!

yep! good list. its very hard to narrow it down as there are so many, and so many good ones! i like the red and blue albums as there are most of my favourites on there. and as someone has probably already said, its kinds somethin u grow up with. my dad used to listen to them all the time so introduced me to them from an early age and ive loved them ever since!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.