The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
at exeter its 900 a term!
Reply 21
ill have to do it the hard way and work my way through uni....................... but if things go they way my boyf wants them to ill be goin to the same uni as him and his parents are lovely and are buying him a house to share with others so he sed i cud live wit him!
Reply 22
Originally posted by PlayBunny07
can i use my student loan to pay my fees?

just an idea?

You could very well use a your student loan to pay your tuition fees. Most banks offer students no interest overdrafts over £1000 that could help keeping u going over the first term. You could try to get a part time job as well to keep your finance going. Another idea is to to tell the university about your situation and they maybe able to offer some advise and help. If your finances get really bad you would be elegible for a hardship grant/loan from your university. Good luck.
Reply 23
well if u pull that one off ull be fine!
Reply 24
thanx Koloth your latest post was very helpfull .. thank you ever so much .. i will definatly look into the areas you mentioned!

Plus also i could geta credit card and use that to finance my way thruogh uni.. but we shall see!

Thanx again!
Reply 25
loans 1st-they are there 1stly to pay ure fes, then rent etc. dont get a cred card unless u have to. its tempting to just hand over plastic, and then if u have debts things can get nasty.
Reply 26
yeh i kno...but the thing is ill need the money yes.. ill get in debt but... ill just have to work my arse off at uni and get a job too!
Reply 27
the uni u are going to should provide services such as financial advice that could help you sort stuff out when you get there, bear that in mind for when you arrive
Reply 28
Originally posted by PlayBunny07
thanx Koloth your latest post was very helpfull .. thank you ever so much .. i will definatly look into the areas you mentioned!

Plus also i could geta credit card and use that to finance my way thruogh uni.. but we shall see!

Thanx again!

Credit cards have very high interest so I wouldn't advise living off those.

Go through your funds in this order:
Student Loan
Job Earnings
Savings
Overdraft
Hardship funds/grants (You'll be elegible for this once u hit an overdraft)
Bank Loans/credit cards.

You will likely have the choice to pay for your accomodation annually or termly. Termly would obviously be best for your cashflow.

If your from Scotland you might be able to take your parents to court for this via the family law act. Though I'm not entirely sure about this but it is definetly an extreme position to take.

Remember budgeting is important.
Reply 29
i will do and thank you very much too you have been very helpfull!
Reply 30
I would have thought that if you are estranged from your parents and you would be if you "ran away to university" then only your income would be taken into account in assessing loan. If this is so then you wouldn't have to pay tuition fees and would get full loan. I feel so sorry for you that your parents won't let you be independent when you are over 18.
PlayBunny - What do you want to be when your done with Uni?

If I decide to be an accountant instead of a music teacher, I am going to apply for a Sponsorship. I'd have to work for them for x amount of years.

Do check out the Money section of that site I posted - it will be very useful to you.
Originally posted by Ollie
at exeter its 900 a term!

Poor You. How do you pay it?
PlayBunny - Apply for living in halls of residence its cheaper!
Originally posted by a_musical_gal
PlayBunny - Apply for living in halls of residence its cheaper!

Further more, if you can, get self catered halls (assuming that your parents will let you go self catered, some of my friends' parents are worried that if their child went self catered theres a danger of being underfed, and so are actually paying for her the extra required to go catered!), this allows you some degree of freedom (not the sort represented by "nu"), over when you eat, and what you eat.
Good find - looks like a useful file.

Edit - Thought I better make the edit, sarcasm obviously aint a good tactic tonight
*Catches Breath*

A recent post by a_musical_gal that doesn't contain the word sperm.

idoit

Latest

Trending

Trending