The Student Room Group

Medicine pers statment

Hello
I am really confused about the work experience paragraph. Everyone says to mention what you took away from your work experience and why that makes you want to be a dr. But when I read example statements they all seem to mention the skills they saw in drs and list their experiences. Also, are you meant to relate all ur extra curriculuar and volunteering to why u want to medicine or what skills u got from it?? i am so confused, someone pls help!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!"!
Reply 1
Original post by wishingwillow
Hello
I am really confused about the work experience paragraph. Everyone says to mention what you took away from your work experience and why that makes you want to be a dr. But when I read example statements they all seem to mention the skills they saw in drs and list their experiences. Also, are you meant to relate all ur extra curriculuar and volunteering to why u want to medicine or what skills u got from it?? i am so confused, someone pls help!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!"!

Hello :smile: can I ask what work experience you have got? You of course need to describe your role as briefly as possible to give the admissions tutor reading your personal statement an idea of what it was you were doing. I would say for each experience you can give a short sentence that describes your role, then reflect on these experiences. Did you gather any useful skills or an insight of what it is like to be a doctor? Listing the skills you saw in doctors shows you recognise the key attributes required, but it would be good if you could go on to say that you have these key skills or personality attributes through examples. It is advisable that you somehow connect your extracurricular activities to your subject, for example Teamwork is key for medicine. If you have the characters to mention something that you cannot directly connect to medicine, e.g. Playing a musical instrument but can't find a way to link it, you could try and show that you do this in your free time and it's something you are passionate about/ shows commitment, and you may get away with just mentioning it briefly to show you are a well rounded individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending