Are notes about your work important in Art & Design GCSE Coursework?

Watch
ally2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've been re-doing some of my coursework for Art over the summer and realised my old work didn't have much notes on at all so I have added A LOT.

The work I've been adding notes onto is big sheets (one for each media used in the project) where we are supposed to experiment and do little pieces in that specific media.

The teacher said we should add notes about how well we think each piece went etc. but I've gone really in depth and filled about half of each sheet with notes explaining why I have done certain things, what went well, how I could expand on it etc.

Will this help my grade a lot or is what I've done almost pointless?
Black Rose
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ally2000)
I've been re-doing some of my coursework for Art over the summer and realised my old work didn't have much notes on at all so I have added A LOT.

The work I've been adding notes onto is big sheets (one for each media used in the project) where we are supposed to experiment and do little pieces in that specific media.

The teacher said we should add notes about how well we think each piece went etc. but I've gone really in depth and filled about half of each sheet with notes explaining why I have done certain things, what went well, how I could expand on it etc.

Could you not email your art teacher/speak to a classmate about it?

Haven't done art but maybe Gingerbread101 can answer this question.
vd12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ally2000)

I found that adding notes was important for me, as it helped show the examiner my thought process and development. In terms of marks, I think adding thorough notes can help too. Remember, the examiner is not you. They've never met you. Explain EVERYTHING. My coursework book had little to no notes, and I only got 104/120 on it (an A). In my exam book, the quality was moreorless the same, with a final piece being worse than my coursework final piece, and I only dropped one mark. However, I did include thorough notes. I'd suggest that you keep in mind that you also need to show development of your ideas. Your book should flow like a story. Also include many different artist media and styles, especially when there is a direct correlation to your final piece. This gives you something to write about, as you can explain where you've made mistakes, and what you'd do to make things better. As well as being fluent with different forms of media, examiners also love it When students show that they've thought carefully about something.

Oh, and also, art may get hard, but if you work consistently, it'll all be worth it. I started year 11 with a grade D coursework folder, and couldn't bare looking at it. I took a few pieces that I liked out, and ripped us everything, forcing the teachers to let me start over. I started with a brand new book in November, and had 2-3 months to complete my coursework, almost from scratch. Start early. Obviously, my teachers hated me for ripping up my book, and everyone thought i was an idiot, but I got a solid A*, so nobody can really say anything now, lol.

Sorry for rambling, but I hope I've helped. I'm telling the story not to brag, but to hopefully inspired others. I was so convinced I was going to miss a C tbh.
WanderLost225
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Annotation is definitely important. You get most of your marks from your sketchbook- the development of your ideas, artist research and evaluation etc. So I would definitely recommend writing what you did and why, linking to artist inspiration, how it links to your theme / task and what you would improve on next time. I did this and got 100% in my Art GCSE when although I am good at Art I was not the best in my class! Trust me artist references, linking to the task and evaluation is super important!!! good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Even if it doesn't fill in any specific marking points, it will show the examiners how dedicated you are and they will favour you if in doubt about any other areas Well done! :awesome:
ally2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by vd12345)
I found that adding notes was important for me, as it helped show the examiner my thought process and development. In terms of marks, I think adding thorough notes can help too. Remember, the examiner is not you. They've never met you. Explain EVERYTHING. My coursework book had little to no notes, and I only got 104/120 on it (an A). In my exam book, the quality was moreorless the same, with a final piece being worse than my coursework final piece, and I only dropped one mark. However, I did include thorough notes. I'd suggest that you keep in mind that you also need to show development of your ideas. Your book should flow like a story. Also include many different artist media and styles, especially when there is a direct correlation to your final piece. This gives you something to write about, as you can explain where you've made mistakes, and what you'd do to make things better. As well as being fluent with different forms of media, examiners also love it When students show that they've thought carefully about something.

Oh, and also, art may get hard, but if you work consistently, it'll all be worth it. I started year 11 with a grade D coursework folder, and couldn't bare looking at it. I took a few pieces that I liked out, and ripped us everything, forcing the teachers to let me start over. I started with a brand new book in November, and had 2-3 months to complete my coursework, almost from scratch. Start early. Obviously, my teachers hated me for ripping up my book, and everyone thought i was an idiot, but I got a solid A*, so nobody can really say anything now, lol.

Sorry for rambling, but I hope I've helped. I'm telling the story not to brag, but to hopefully inspired others. I was so convinced I was going to miss a C tbh.
Thank you! This definitely helped and well done on getting that A*!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads