Council Tax Bill Rejected as Evidence

Watch this thread
Hazzer2
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So a few weeks ago I sent of a household income form with my mothers information and a council tax bill showing a discount for myself and my sister as we are school leavers soon to be leaving for University.

Today I was told that sudent finance werent accepting it as proof of separation as it wasn't the right discount and that we needed the 25% sole occupancy discount. The problem here is that firstly, the school leavers discount IS 25% it just doesn't say specifically 25% but if they picked up a calculator they would see it is 25%. Secondly, my mum has this discount because she TRIED to get a single occupancy discount but couldnt because she isnt the sole occupier as obviously myself and my sister are both 18, however the council said she would get the discount as we're school leavers it just wouldnt be sole occupancy. On top of this you can't even be given the school leavers discount unless you're a single parent so I really don't know why they refuse to accept it as evidence of separation. I really don't know what to do now as theres not much time left and I've just accepted accomodation which costs more than the minimum loan amount I will get if i dont get what I should be getting and i'm stressing hard.

Could someone explain why they wont take the council tax bill as evidence despite it being 25% discount and clearly showing that my stepdad is not living with us. I don't know what to do.
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

We can only accept a council tax bill that states single occupancy discount as that is the only one that actually proves single occupancy. The percentage of the discount is not what we're looking for, it's the statement that it is for single occupancy that is necessary for us to use it as marital evidence.

However don't worry, there are other types of marital evidence you can send. If your mother is officially separated, she can provide a court document as proof. Alternatively she could get a signed affidavit or a letter from a solicitor to confirm her marital status. Finally, if she is unable to provide any other evidence, she can provide a letter stating why she is unable to send the standard evidence, along with a few pieces of evidence in her name to show she is the main occupier of the house, such as a rental or mortgage agreement, utility bills or bank statements (copies of these would be fine).

Thanks
worried 00123
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
we have had the same issue, however we sent notification 2 weeks a go and have still heard nothing it's really worrying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed