polololo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As the title suggests, which is better for languages? Chester uni or Nottingham Trent uni? I'm kinda in a pickle as to which to choose, both courses (French and Chinese) are very similar but NTU is higher overall in the league tables at 53 whilst Chester is 98! But Chester does better for French than NTU, whereas Chester isn't even in the tables for East Asian studies! Am I focusing a bit too much on league tables? I've visited Chester and it seems like a nice place but I'm getting swayed by NTU since it's also a bigger city...any thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated!
polololo
Rep:
?
Bump
I really want some advice on this!
polololo
Rep:
?
Bump
Please help!
Bexariza
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
These were my two choices as well! I study Spanish and French at Chester and am about to start my third year abroad in September. I chose Chester predominantly because it is closer to home than Nottingham Trent, and Chester is generally a nicer place to live. (5th happiest place to live in UK). However the course did not live up to my expectations. I don't think living in a big city is too important because Chester is such a nice place, the uni is the perfect size. Nottingham Trent is also a pain to get into town whereas Chester uni is less than a 10 minute walk. I would therefore focus on course content than anything else: yes Chester is good on French league tables but the course is rubbish. The amount of time spent learning actual French is rubbish. It's more history focuses and you have to choose a module IN ENGLISH that doesn't relate to the course e.g film studies or translated literature (which is the same as English lit A level but with books translated from other languages - German included which I don't even study). Find out more about the actual course content at Nottingham first. Apart from the course, Chester is everything I hoped for and more. I've had a phenomenal two years here - the uni cares about its students which is represented by the high status of the students union (voted best in the north west for the third year running). Good luck!
polololo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bexariza)
These were my two choices as well! I study Spanish and French at Chester and am about to start my third year abroad in September. I chose Chester predominantly because it is closer to home than Nottingham Trent, and Chester is generally a nicer place to live. (5th happiest place to live in UK). However the course did not live up to my expectations. I don't think living in a big city is too important because Chester is such a nice place, the uni is the perfect size. Nottingham Trent is also a pain to get into town whereas Chester uni is less than a 10 minute walk. I would therefore focus on course content than anything else: yes Chester is good on French league tables but the course is rubbish. The amount of time spent learning actual French is rubbish. It's more history focuses and you have to choose a module IN ENGLISH that doesn't relate to the course e.g film studies or translated literature (which is the same as English lit A level but with books translated from other languages - German included which I don't even study). Find out more about the actual course content at Nottingham first. Apart from the course, Chester is everything I hoped for and more. I've had a phenomenal two years here - the uni cares about its students which is represented by the high status of the students union (voted best in the north west for the third year running). Good luck!
Thank you so much for your reply! It's nice to hear someone else's insight who has been in a similar situation!
I have looked at the French/Chinese modules taught at NTU and it too is rather focused on literature/film studies/history/society and I do agree it's a pain to get into town as you'd need to get a bus unless you fancy walking for over an hour but it's cause the courses are so similar that I'm not too sure what to do! Would they be able to give me a better overview than what's on their website if I called up?
Also since you said the actual time spent learning French is rubbish, what would you say the approximate contact hours are that you get? NTU has about 4 hours (inc. language/grammar/conversation) according to the website but Chester doesn't say...
Plus did you do a placement/study abroad in your second year in France/Spain?
Bexariza
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh really. I didn't look at course content for either uni before I came I just decided I wanted to do Spanish and French and that was that. I assume they must be pretty similar everywhere then! Yeah I spent 3 months in France for the final term of second year and I'm about to the year in Spain. In first year at Chester I had 3 hours French a week, 3 hours Spanish and 3 hours of translated literature/this media thing that I can't even remember the name of. In second year I have 4 hour Spanish 4 hours French and 1 hour translated lit. So I guess it's pretty similar to NTU. Also not sure about the size of classes at NTU but one good thing about Chester is the size of the seminars are so small. There are no lectures either which I like because all the classes provide opportunities to ask questions and the teachers can make sure you understand things aswell. I'd definitely ring up NTU for more info but in terms of a town id say you can't get better than Chester!
polololo
Rep:
?
Oh really. I didn't look at course content for either uni before I came I just decided I wanted to do Spanish and French and that was that. I assume they must be pretty similar everywhere then! Yeah I spent 3 months in France for the final term of second year and I'm about to the year in Spain. In first year at Chester I had 3 hours French a week, 3 hours Spanish and 3 hours of translated literature/this media thing that I can't even remember the name of. In second year I have 4 hour Spanish 4 hours French and 1 hour translated lit. So I guess it's pretty similar to NTU. Also not sure about the size of classes at NTU but one good thing about Chester is the size of the seminars are so small. There are no lectures either which I like because all the classes provide opportunities to ask questions and the teachers can make sure you understand things aswell. I'd definitely ring up NTU for more info but in terms of a town id say you can't get better than Chester!
Haha fair enough! What did you do for accommodation in your second year since you went to France for 3 months in the final term? Hmmm 3 hours isn't a lot but neither is 4 hours...there's no lectures for languages at chester?? Tbh I already have an offer at Chester I'm just sort of second guessing my decision right now haha it's a lot of money so I just want to make sure I'm at the best place for me
Bexariza
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i just got a house with my friends but I had to pay for it for the time I wasn't there. It was the same situation for everybody who went on the 3 month placement (it's optional) but It was very annoying having to pay for it when I wasn't there!
polololo
Rep:
?
i just got a house with my friends but I had to pay for it for the time I wasn't there. It was the same situation for everybody who went on the 3 month placement (it's optional) but It was very annoying having to pay for it when I wasn't there!
Oh right yeah that must be very annoying! Can't you sign a shorter lease or something? Did you move out before you went to France then?

Also can I ask how're you assessed at Chester for languages and the other module? I've heard it's more coursework based?
University of Chester
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, our colleagues in the Department of Modern Languages just wanted to clarify a couple of points in this:

1. The core double modules are taught in French. (5 contact hours weekly plus one oral hour for most of the year)

2. The first and second year core double modules entail portfolios allowing the students to improve their language skills by working on these autonomously throughout the academic year.

3. Every combined student is given the opportunity to choose a module taught in French, so students don’t have to choose a module taught in English.

4. Obviously, although taught in English and shared across languages, film and literature are crucial elements for the understanding of French-speaking cultures and as such are highly relevant.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?