Should I do the EPQ? (read whole post)

Watch
justemilyhere
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey Guys!

I just wanted some impartial advice about doing the EPQ.

I've recently received my AS results and they where not overly great (BDDD). I want to study nursing so universities are looking for a minimum of BBB. I really want to have a strong chance of getting into nursing and I know that I'm going to have to work much much harder for A2 if I'm going to stand a chance at getting my three B's. I'm going to retake a few (by a few i mean no more than 2) units in the hope of boosting up the AS grades.

Because of this I feel that doing the EPQ is going to be a but a bit too much work. I don't want to have a great EPQ but then fall short of getting into university because I didn't get the required grades.

If I didn't undertake an EPQ I plan on doing some wider reading anyway. Does this show more initiative than doing an EPQ?

The EPQ can help develop essay writing skills with I believe are really important for university and the EPQ also helps to communicate your passion in a subject which is important for nursing applications. The EPQ can also give me UCAS points but which can help my application but looking around universities and hearing what they have to say they seem to be asking for grades more the a certain number of UCAS points. Are UCAS points still asked for or is it mainly grades now?

I have expressed interest in the EPQ at school and they say that many people do drop out after AS results because they need to focus on getting the grades they need. So I don't have any problems about dropping out.

I obviously don't want to put myself at a disadvantage when applying for university but my outlook is that my main proiotiy would be to get my three B's and having the EPQ would just be a nice added bonus.

I am very undecided about what to do.

Many Thanks

justemilyhere
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by justemilyhere)
Hey Guys!

I just wanted some impartial advice about doing the EPQ.

I've recently received my AS results and they where not overly great (BDDD). I want to study nursing so universities are looking for a minimum of BBB. I really want to have a strong chance of getting into nursing and I know that I'm going to have to work much much harder for A2 if I'm going to stand a chance at getting my three B's. I'm going to retake a few (by a few i mean no more than 2) units in the hope of boosting up the AS grades.

Because of this I feel that doing the EPQ is going to be a but a bit too much work. I don't want to have a great EPQ but then fall short of getting into university because I didn't get the required grades.

If I didn't undertake an EPQ I plan on doing some wider reading anyway. Does this show more initiative than doing an EPQ?

The EPQ can help develop essay writing skills with I believe are really important for university and the EPQ also helps to communicate your passion in a subject which is important for nursing applications. The EPQ can also give me UCAS points but which can help my application but looking around universities and hearing what they have to say they seem to be asking for grades more the a certain number of UCAS points. Are UCAS points still asked for or is it mainly grades now?

I have expressed interest in the EPQ at school and they say that many people do drop out after AS results because they need to focus on getting the grades they need. So I don't have any problems about dropping out.

I obviously don't want to put myself at a disadvantage when applying for university but my outlook is that my main proiotiy would be to get my three B's and having the EPQ would just be a nice added bonus.

I am very undecided about what to do.

Many Thanks

justemilyhere
It would be better to focus on the grades you need to attain rather than adding extra work to it and struggling to get the BBB you need.

But if you've got excellent time management skills and can devote time to your EPQ as well as keep on top of your A2 work; go ahead!
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
EpQ was easy I got 49/50, juicy lines on my personal statement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (591)
34.02%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads